Metal Armor

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
ModifierMR
Getting the hang of this...

Metal Armor

Post by ModifierMR » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Hello all. I've been wandering around the con this weekend seeing a lot of cosplay that really inspires me. I've been kicking around the idea of making a full size to scale replica of X-01 power armor from fallout 4. However I want it to look as authentic as possible.

Can someone explain to me AB policy on metal armor? Does everything need to be made of foam or can I have metal plates on my suit? I have a Tig welder and very thing gauge sheet steel. Figured I could put it to use.

Thanks

Sylal3us
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Metal Armor

Post by Sylal3us » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:10 pm

(Not staff stuff)

I think that it depends on the amount of metal and where it is located. Sharp points are a no-go in my book because it can get crowded in those hallways. Also, regardless of the type of metal, it will get hot (as will foam) and heavy, especially if wearing for a long time. For instance, I wore my chain mail shirt today (one of the many Links wandering around), got no hassle from security on your way in, but wearing it for 3 hours got me very hot and it was getting heavy on my shoulders. Foam would be easier to get through security at any convention, not just AB. Plus a good paint job can make even the cheapest foam/plastic look just as good.

TL;DR: I'd do foam with maybe some metal for sake of comfort and peace of mind getting in and out of a con.
Just your everyday average part-time cosplayer.
2017cosplays: Friday:?
Saturday: 1/4 heart left Link (legend of zelda)
Sunday: ?