Large Tail: Belt Loops or Harness?

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
Aki-rain
Getting the hang of this...

Large Tail: Belt Loops or Harness?

Post by Aki-rain » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:38 am

Hello everyone!
I'm making a cosplay that involves a very large fluffy tail with wire and stuffing inside. But I'm new to sewing and crafting, so I'm wondering if I can get away with just attaching the tail to two thick belt loops, or if I'll need a harness of some sort to keep it on me, like in all the Ahri tail tutorials I've seen. I know Ahri from League of Legends have multiple tails that defy gravity, and in this case I only have one tail that hangs down (albeit in a unique shape) but I wasn't sure if one or the other method would work better.

This is a sketch of what the tail would look like. (The character I'm cosplaying is Kiseki-o from Seraph of the End)
http://sta.sh/0avv0c1buy0
I want it to be bouncy but also retain its shape, so I was going to put a wire on the inside (but if there's a better way to do this, please let me know!) and then stuff it.
I also want it to be as long as possible without touching the ground, since it will be white and that will be a nightmare to clean!
Conveniently, the character already wears a belt to which I could attach the tail. However I need to know, is something is going to break under the weight of a tail this size, or is it going to be TOO floppy without some sort of support against my back?
Cosplays for Anime Boston 2017:
Thursday: Probably whatever I don't wear on Saturday | Friday: Bishamon (Noragami) | Saturday: For (D.Gray-Man) and Megurine Luka (Vocaloid) OR Namine Ritsu (UTAU) | Sunday: Rufus Barma (Pandora Hearts)

Sylal3us
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Large Tail: Belt Loops or Harness?

Post by Sylal3us » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:26 pm

I personally think you should be fine with a belt system for that kind of tail. If it were sticking up, like a squirrel, a harness or something to hold it to the back of your shirt/jacket would be needed I feel. Hanging down in general as the sketch is should be fine with a belt/it attached to belt loops as long as it's secured good and the tail isn't too heavy. The last thing you'd want to do is be walking around and the weight of your tail ripped you pants/skirt/costume...or your pants yourself. You could even consider on the end of the tail a length of clear thread or some such similar material attached to your wrist so tired won't drag for sure or snag underfoot on stairs or an escalator, kinda how some ballgown have an area meant specifically for holding when dancing. That'said my 2 cents on the matter. :D
Just your everyday average part-time cosplayer.
2017cosplays: Friday:?
Saturday: 1/4 heart left Link (legend of zelda)
Sunday: ?

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Re: Large Tail: Belt Loops or Harness?

Post by FiretoIce » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Hey,

Personally I've had better luck with harnesses. I hide the harness in my pants though. I was the cowardly Lion in a show, so to have my tail bend and bounce, I used gym shorts, hot glued straps, then attached my tail through the straps and put my costume on over the pants. I was then comfortable enough to put a hole through my costume to run my tail through. I disguised the hole, but I felt better knowing I had pants on anyway.
My tail was fine and didn't get ruined when I ran and jumped or slide on the floor like it would have.
Hope that helps some.
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya