Prop input please!

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
Sylal3us
Getting the hang of this...

Prop input please!

Post by Sylal3us » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:07 pm

This year, I am going to bring my Link costume (after working off and on for years on it) and I am perplexed as to which shield to bring. Not because of weight or size, but for ease of security. My preferred shield, my repainted Hylian Shield, is fiberglass (Yay lightweight!) but the back of it has what I consider a fair amount of metal for the handle and arm strap area as well as for back wear and wall mounting bought initially from a site like swordsswords .com. Conversely, my other shield that I can consider is from my Pyrrha: roundish plywood (and thus a Lil heavier) and held by mostly glue with a total of 6 screws and a small cabinet handle.

The question is: Should I keep with the more Twilight Princess style and go Hylian Shield or just bring the other that will see less grief and claim Breath of the Wild?

Edit: I may be able to take the center metal bit off the right shield/ Hylian Shield and sacrifice my back wearing ability.lol
Pic for ref:

Bonus question! Anyone think there would be problems with lightsabers again this year? I have a belt hanger (no blade) for a costume and it's a saberforge custom saber. Aka: they got heft and metal. The pommel is replaceable with a rounder one (seen in the shield pic above) but it takes away from the look of Hiccup's Dragon Eye/Inferno blade. Had no problem last year with my saber, but that was an ultrasabers' glorified Maglite flashlight with no covertech wheel xD.
Just your everyday average part-time cosplayer.
2017cosplays: Friday:?
Saturday: 1/4 heart left Link (legend of zelda)
Sunday: ?

Thrillho
Experienced Poster

Re: Prop input please!

Post by Thrillho » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:45 am

{Obligatory "I'm not staff or security" and "nobody can pre-approve a prop" blurb]

Personally, I don't see an issue with the metal bits on the backs of your shields. The one on the left is just a standard handle, so that shouldn't be an issue at all. What could potentially be a concern for the shield on the right is if you have any sharp edges or corners, but it's still not a lot of metal. If it were my props, I'd bring them with only a little bit of concern for being not allowed.

I'm not sure about the saber handle, as I've never had a prop like that. It seems like it should be ok if you keep it attached to your belt, but if it's got some heft to it, they might try to scrutinize it.
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

Sylal3us

Post by Sylal3us » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Thrillho wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:45 am
{Obligatory "I'm not staff or security" and "nobody can pre-approve a prop" blurb]
*snip*
I'm not sure about the saber handle, as I've never had a prop like that. It seems like it should be ok if you keep it attached to your belt, but if it's got some heft to it, they might try to scrutinize it.
It's a combo of it being aluminum, weighing at about 2 pounds (says the one bringing 10 pound chain mail lol) and the pommel at the end being most of the weight and it's shape. Even though the one on it is more shape accurate (left in the below pic), it is reminiscent of a club or mace head. But I have a backup rounder one that would be a bit less of a worry(on the right). Pic below to show what I mean.

Suppose I could bring both and get a feel for security's setup this year prior to entering the con with it. Worst comes to worst, leave it in the room. After all, a horde of Nightfury is more important than a mystical viking flashlight that shows all information on known and unknown species of the beasties. XD

Thrillho
Experienced Poster

Post by Thrillho » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:21 pm

If it's only a couple of pounds, I can't imagine it being a problem. Again, not a member of staff or security, but I would be surprised if they got concerned about this.

AB 2016 (First Time!)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

Sylal3us

Post by Sylal3us » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:59 pm

I just remember all the upset jedi and sith I saw last year with sabers being confiscated. Then again, that was last year and it seems steps will be taken to ensure that it's not as bad. But, can't tell til we get there! Thanks for the opinions! :D

Thrillho
Experienced Poster

Post by Thrillho » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:49 pm

While I personally didn't have any problems with props last year (they didn't even say anything about my Ozpin cane), there seemed to be a lot of weird, selective anomalies last year, so I wouldn't be surprised people are on edge about it.

AB 2016 (First Time!)

AB 2017

Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:03 am

Part of the problem with Props check is that it isn't done by AB security, but by MCCA security.
That is part of why I have suggested in the past that a printout of the Props Policy should be at every Prop Checkpoint, so that everyone is following the same rules and not just doing as they like.

Sylal3us

Post by Sylal3us » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Agreed on all points with the two of ya. Last year was just...weird. And hopefully it will be an outlier in regards to security in regards to past and future cons. Lord knows that some attendees could use a reminder of prop rules too. Not everyone reads them or follows them. A reminder where everyone can read them would be nice. Maybe some year we'll get it. :D