Prop safety question

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
Oki
Getting the hang of this...

Prop safety question

Post by Oki » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi there, one of the props for a cosplay I'm working on has left me with a lot of questions the FAQ didn't answer so I thought I'd ask here before I come in with a weapon that isn't allowed.

I'm making An estimate 8 foot tall pole arm that can collapse. The material is three sections of charlotte pvc pipe with metal bolts on the inside to reunite the pieces. The blade is made from Eva foam. I wanted to make sure this is an acceptable height, that the metal bolts and screws would be acceptable, and that pvc is an acceptable material. Do any of these things knowingly violate the props policy and has anyone had a history of similar items being confiscated?? Thanks so much for the help !

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Re: Prop safety question

Post by Selestyl » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Obligatory warning that props can't be preapproved, nor am I staff.

I would be concerned about the height - I know that it's really crowded in the halls, and you might get jostled around with that. The metal pieces I'm not sure, but I think a lot of people are using EVA foam.

My general rule for props is "when in doubt, don't." It's not a very fun rule, but I'd rather not have security take my things and put me in a foul mood :) (What security does is very important, though - not complaining about that!)
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!
Piccolo - Dragonball Z - 100% complete!!
Fem!Ignis - Final Fantasy XV - 100% complete!

Oki
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Oki » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks so much for your reply! The reason it's so big is my boyfriend is over 6 feet tall and and we were trying to adjust it to real life proportions, we also double checked and found plastic couplings so there would be no metal involved. The spear head is meant to be foam, anyway! I think I can adjust it down closer to his height anyway, since I'm the one making it and he can stop giving me his suggestions ;P

I guess the only thing I'd have to ask is a direct question. He is cosplaying Hak from Yona of the Dawn and his polearm is essentially a big part of the character. I wonder if there are any recommendations to reduce the risk of security confiscating it? I know luckily it wouldn't be a complete bust because a large part of the con takes place outside of the convention (he could carry it around while getting food, for instance) but I do want to limit it. Thanks so much for your patience with me and your help! I've been going since 2012 but I've never carried a large prop for nervousness reasons.

Here is a picture of Hak and his polearm if you haven't seen it!

Image <- from medievalotaku

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Oh neat! After taking a look, it doesn't seem too bad to me - but again, my earlier warnings apply! Can't wait to see how it comes out :D

From what I understand the general rule is "if you hit someone with it, will the prop or the person break first?" And for me, certain props I'll always make out of cardboard just for my own level of safety. It's hard to say wait and see, but I think that's all you can do!

No worries by the way - this forum has been an amazing help to me as a learner, and because of everyone here I'm doing my most complicated cosplay this year! I like to pass on the help however I can :)
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!
Piccolo - Dragonball Z - 100% complete!!
Fem!Ignis - Final Fantasy XV - 100% complete!