Removing Cat Fur From Cosplay

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
GhostMoonWolf
Getting the hang of this...

Removing Cat Fur From Cosplay

Post by GhostMoonWolf » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:37 am

I have two cats who seem determined to help momma sew her cosplay costume. As a result it is covered in fur. It's a relatively large costume so lint rolling it would be very time consuming and result most likely in me rolling the cats instead and/or having to redo it later. Is there a way to remove the fur from it at the last minute aka so they can't recover it in the matter of seconds that does not involve lint rolling it? ( No place in my house is safe and my brother also has a cat so storing it at his place till the con since we are going together is out of the question.) Can I try washing it? It's made of cotton fabric luckily and I'm double to triple stitching it so the stitching won't come undone but will that remove the fur? I love my cats but they are furry nuisances especially my tortie!! Please help me. Big Thanks in advance!!

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Re: Removing Cat Fur From Cosplay

Post by Selestyl » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:00 am

Lololol how I remember this problem. It makes me miss my cats.

I would recommend getting a fur fighter. It's kind of like a lint roller but it's bigger and has a nice gripping handle. It works really well on most fabric surfaces to just pick up the fur.
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!
Piccolo - Dragonball Z - 100% complete!!
Fem!Ignis - Final Fantasy XV - 100% complete!

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Post by FiretoIce » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:45 am

You can't try washing
Also, a plastic garbage bag over the costume​ on a hanger is your friend. Garment bags and plastic storage boxes work.
Personally I have a plastic box for each Cosplay so all of my parts are together, I can look inside and see what's there, and not forget anything.
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

GhostMoonWolf
Getting the hang of this...

Post by GhostMoonWolf » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:44 am

Thank you I didn't think about using a garment bag. I have one it has my prom dresses in it. We recently moved and I have two doors into my room now one of which I can't close all the way which normally I like since my cats can come and go as they please but when trying to work on my costume it is impossible to lock them up. And I no longer have the floor space or anything in my room to spread it out so I'm either in the living room or kitchen and where I am so are my cats. I'll have to look into the fur fighter thing. And look around where I work maybe find something there.