Sealing body paint?

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Sealing body paint?

Post by Selestyl » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Boy, I'm just a mess with this cosplay.

I wanted to know how people seal body paint, and what their suggestions were. I'm using Mehron water-activated for most of my face and arms, with a little water-activated Snazaroo to fill in the details on my arms. Ben Nye is on the table, but it's...more expensive than I was hoping. I wanted to know what others use and see if I had alternatives, or if I'm going to have to bite it and just grab Ben Nye.

(Bonus tips if you can help me figure out how to keep my pointed ears on?)

I'm just so excited because once I have this sealing thing down, my Piccolo cosplay is finished!!

Thanks, all!
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!
Piccolo - Dragonball Z - 100% complete!!
Fem!Ignis - Final Fantasy XV - 100% complete!

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Re: Sealing body paint?

Post by FiretoIce » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:48 pm

So jealous your done!

Ok:
if/when you sweat, your paint is probably going to come off. I use Ben Nye because it stays on my skin longer, brighter, (and i'm super allergic to everything else. *fun facts*) So for sealing, i start with a layer of Ben Nye sealant spray on everywhere i want to apply makeup, then sit in front of a fan until it's dry, then apply make up. for the top sealant layer i use a combination of baby powder mixed with hairspray for a super sticky,shiny, powder i brush on with an applicator brush.

For your ears: a little liquid latex around your ears and then apply, or Spirit effects Gum works well enough. (it's expensive if you didn't buy it around halloween.) depending on what your ears are made of, be careful with how much liq.latex you use, it could cause tearing on removal.

Hope that helps
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Thanks for the advice! I actually have hyperhidrosis (hooray, sweating too much has a name?), so it's good to have that heads up. Do you find you're still able to get the paint off without too much trouble?

Also, I've heard using hairspray isn't as good for your skin. Would it be possible to use Ben nye ad a top layer too, maybe?

I found a spirit gum kit on Amazon for like five bucks I might go with!
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Post by FiretoIce » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:21 pm

I tend to do a make-up remover wipe/baby wipe first, then shower shower shower, especially if anything is at your hairline and eyebrows.

The Ben Nye on top never sealed and worked for me. (Jasper at comiccon, I literally couldn't walk because my red arm was rubbing off on anyone who looked at it. fortunately i brought a back up plan of a red glove with a sleeve and i was good. but it was still rough)

I use a hairspray for babies (dunno why it exists, but it does) and it doesn't hurt your skin, if anything it moisturizes. Baby power alone should work if you'd like that better.

Totally go with that, I normally find it for $12-18.
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:24 pm

Hairspray for babies?? Lol alright, glad that exists XD thanks for all the advice! I'm excited to try everything out!
2017 Cosplays:

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Post by FiretoIce » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Glad to help!! Hope to see you at the con :)
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

Ciaobirdie
Experienced Poster

Post by Ciaobirdie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:40 am

I do a few cosplays that require extensive body paint and have used a bunch of different brands (Ben Nye, Mehron, Snazaroo, etc). I've found that Ben Nye Final Seal doesn't work all that great but it depends on the body paint you're using. For example I've used it with Mehron Metallic and Snazaroo and it seemed alright, but when used with Mehron Paradise it wasn't great. I also use Ben Nye Neutral Set powder which helps a bit as well but I've heard you can substitute with your average baby powder. I would recommend using an alcohol-based sealer like Green Marble, and even an alcohol-based body paint if you're concerned about sweating. Water-based anything will come off with sweat.

An alternative to painting your arms or legs that I use for my Miss Martian cosplay is tights (some people refer to them as armsocks or arm sleeves). Get 2 pairs of tights that are as close a match to your face and neck as you can. One pair you will leave be, for your legs, and the other you will cut a hole in the crotch and sew fingers into the feet. It sounds bizarre but it works and saves a LOT of time as well as the potential of your cosplay getting ruined from your paint staining it. Even water-based paint will be extremely difficult to get out of a cosplay without a bleach pen or something like that.
AB '13: Kasane Teto
AB '14: Kasane Teto, Potato GLaDOS, AVPM Draco Malfoy
AB '15: Fem Winter Soldier, SPG Rabbit, Potato GLaDOS
AB '16: Miss Martian, Red Core Rabbit (SPG), Matt the Radar Technician
AB '17: RHPS Columbia, Red Core Rabbit (SPG), Kasane Teto

www.facebook.com/ciaobirdiecosplay

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks so much for the advice! I really appreciate it. I'll definitely be doing some improvements to this cosplay over the next year I'm sure.
2017 Cosplays: