Sewing cat ears to a wig?

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
casuallyironicknight
Getting the hang of this...

Sewing cat ears to a wig?

Post by casuallyironicknight » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:47 pm

I've posted so many threads, I feel like a pest but I just want this cosplay to be purrfect and even though I've made 4 cosplays I'm quite new to this sort of cosplay. Body suits and cats are not my specialty, I've been doing two pieces and suits for years.

I have to style my wig to look like my avatar, and as you can see, he has cat ears. I tried the clip method with the metal clips with teeth and that didn't work. I heard someone mention sewing the ears on? I'm not so sure how you would manage that after doing the hair styling... They need to be slightly curved and pointed forward, I'm not sure if maybe I should do some sort of boning structure in them? They're already sewn up. They're very light weight pleather ears with button clasps on either side. (Not removable)

Here's an image of someone's wig and ears, I want my ears to lie flat at the bottom, no gaps like in this picture.

Here's what his ears look like in the show when pointed forward. Any pointers on how I can make this work?

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Re: Sewing cat ears to a wig?

Post by FiretoIce » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi~!

I've done so many neko girls, i know your pain. I have used push pins with the flat nail head, push them through my wig into the ears, (trimming anything that is visible with jewelry clippers) if it's a wig i'm not found of or i'll do the cosplay again, i use a smear of jewelry glue to seal the pins to the cap.

If you don't want to do that, you can use stick on magnets and put on the bottom of the ears and the under side of the wig.

Hope one of those help
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Re: Sewing cat ears to a wig?

Post by royalbakaness » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:14 am

If you only plan on using the wig for that cosplay and the pleather on the ears is easily pierced with a needle, I don't see why you couldn't sew them on. I've never done it, but it seems doable. I'd just be sure to put the wig on the way you plan to wear it and pin the ears to the wig so you can see what it will look like. Then take the wig off and sew the ears on. People sew wefts into wigs all the time, so cat ears shouldn't be any different. Again, though,I've not actually done this. I know when I cosplayed Princess Cadance, I put a screw into a head band that I then wore under the wig. The screw poked out through the wig, and I screwed the horn on so that there was no gap and no headband to be seen. Maybe something like that could work?
Picture of the horn: http://royalbakaness.deviantart.com/art ... 97296&qo=9
Picture of me wearing the horn: http://royalbakaness.deviantart.com/art ... -440889907
I don't know if you've gone to cosplay.com, but they have a lot of experienced cosplayers who frequent the forums, and you may be able to get more advice there.
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: GLaDOS, Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), steampunk!Alice (all subject to change)