Masquerade Advice

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
Redwillowhearts
Experienced Poster

Masquerade Advice

Post by Redwillowhearts » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Hello! I decided to enter the AB masquerade for the first time! At different cons I've only entered for performance, but never with a large crowd like AB. Is there any advice you can give me about what to expect, what I should do, etc.? Anything will be helpful, thanks!
To my future self: you forgot to change your signature

fancyduckie
Veteran Poster

Re: Masquerade Advice

Post by fancyduckie » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:56 pm

Hey there! Congrats on taking the AB Masquerade plunge!!

AB-specific advice time:
-Performance entries are screened for quality, so spend some time working on your idea before you send in your app, and this also means no need to freak out that submissions have opened/more than 25 groups have applied.
-If accepted, budget at least 2 hours to get into the con for judging/rehearsal/the Masquerade itself because Anime Boston has unfortunately become the dreaded line con (I love this con with all my heart & I know AB staff does their best but they can't control Hynes staff...)
-Eat before you get to the Masquerade -- staff has snacks but dinner is best. I usually try to do a late lunch/early dinner sorta deal around 2:30ish so I can get back in for doors. The Masquerade is LONG to sit through as a regular attendee and it's even longer for participants because we have to be there before everyone else! Doing it on an empty stomach is not very fun.
-If you're feeling really nervous, or a piece of your costume breaks, flag down literally any Masquerade staff member backstage and they'll do whatever they can to help. They give AMAZING pep talks and they are seriously some of the sweetest people on the planet. They're one of the main reasons why I compete at AB and why I keep coming back to this con, period.
-Make friends backstage! One of the easiest ways to meet new cosplayers is to chat up the people you're seated near and it also helps to cut down on nerves.
-AB's judges, in general, like to get up close and personal with your costume (if you're doing craftsmanship judging) so keep that in mind when constructing your costumes. (read: make sure everything's tidy!)

Hope this helps!
Anime Boston 2017 Lineup
Friday - Sailor Venus / Gwendolyn
Saturday - Princess Tutu
Sunday - Duelist Utena

Redwillowhearts
Experienced Poster

Re: Masquerade Advice

Post by Redwillowhearts » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:39 pm

This does! Thank you so much!
To my future self: you forgot to change your signature