Cosplays With Metal Concerns?

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
MathieuWarrior
Getting the hang of this...

Cosplays With Metal Concerns?

Post by MathieuWarrior » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:08 pm

Just to confirm, I'm going to AB 2017 and will be wearing a bit of a space consuming outfit... Is there anything I should be worried or informed on the metal detectors? The cosplay has Aluminum and metal rivets for the skeleton of the tail that's covered with foam and the wings will also have metal rings and bolts throughout. I doubt I'll be able to walk through the metal detectors... Also the metal won't be showing in any way, if that makes any difference. Will a simple explanation be enough? Or will I have to take off the tail and etc for them to inspect it? Although that's WAY easier said than done...
✧・゚: *✧~Cosplay list~✧・゚: *✧
[Anime Boston 2017]
Hesokuri Wars Karamatsu Animal Pajamas Ver. [Completion: 100%]
Monster Musume Draco [Completion: 90%]

Ciaobirdie
Experienced Poster

Re: Cosplays With Metal Concerns?

Post by Ciaobirdie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:16 am

I think as long as you tell them what is metal on your cosplay you should be okay. This wasn't at AB but this year at Rhode Island Comic Con I went as a war girl from Mad Max Fury Road and was literally covered in metal chains and props, and their security is pretty similar to AB so I just told the person that I have a lot of metal on my costume and all they did additionally was scan me with the hand-held detector thing after going through the walk-through metal detector. Friends who went to AB this year with metal cosplays have said a similar thing. It's more of an issue if you have prop weapons that are metal than parts of your actual cosplay.
AB '13: Kasane Teto
AB '14: Kasane Teto, Potato GLaDOS, AVPM Draco Malfoy
AB '15: Fem Winter Soldier, SPG Rabbit, Potato GLaDOS
AB '16: Miss Martian, Red Core Rabbit (SPG), Matt the Radar Technician
AB '17: RHPS Columbia, Red Core Rabbit (SPG), Kasane Teto

www.facebook.com/ciaobirdiecosplay

royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Re: Cosplays With Metal Concerns?

Post by royalbakaness » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Yeah, I wore a steampunk cosplay last year including a steel boned corset, and all they did when I inevitably set the detector off was wand me. I'll add, though, that the entire process was far easier going through the Boylston St entrance than the Prudential entrance.
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara