Full body binding?

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
casuallyironicknight
Getting the hang of this...

Full body binding?

Post by casuallyironicknight » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:33 am

Okay, so it's not really full body but I need advice on this.

I plan to cosplay Chat Noir from Miraculous Ladybug (sadly I don't have a ladybug) and here's my dilemma:

The binder I want to use binds down my body to look pretty masculine, but it's so long it stretches to a little below my crotch. If I move around, the binder rides up and of course being a kitty superhero in a one piece suit I will be doing a lot of moving, so I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to keep the binder from rolling up? Maybe ideas on what I could pin it to or past experience with this? Any advice is welcome and appreciated, I'm at a loss.

Side note: I have considered just sewing it at the crotch and making it into a full compression suit so it cant possibly roll up but my hips would not fit down the neck hole if I tried that so that idea is out.

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Re: Full body binding?

Post by FiretoIce » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:09 pm

Hey,

I have the same problem with my body armor. I find Velcro works pretty well for me
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

waffle_senpai
Experienced Poster

Post by waffle_senpai » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:00 pm

Maybe you could wear a pair of dance shorts underneath the suit and you can set 4 safety pins through the binder and into the shorts. One in the front, back, and sides? Whenever I want something to stay down, I usually use safety pins.
'05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17 and soon '18
'13: Denmark (Hetalia)
'14: God Tier Jake English (Homestuck)
'15: Shizuo Heiwajima (Durarara!!), Midousuji Akira (Yowapeda)
'16: Makoto Tachibana (Free!), Kageyama Tobio (Haikyuu!!) Genos (One Punch Man)
'17: Junkrat (Overwatch), Otabek Altin (Yuri!!! on Ice), Demon Erwin Smith (Attack on Titan)

casuallyironicknight

Post by casuallyironicknight » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:28 pm

I did try this safety pin idea with dance shorts, actually ripped right through them and the pins opened at one point and stabbed me (I was trying all the poses i wanted to try for my photoshoot) so that didn't work so well... how does velco work??

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Post by FiretoIce » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:09 am

Get a leotard, or shorts your not in love with, glue/sew Velcro to both you clothes and your binder and press them together. I tend to use industrial Velcro from home depot or Lowe's. My armor has never fallen or moved while I was in it.
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

casuallyironicknight

Post by casuallyironicknight » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:10 pm

The leotard Idea might work with industrial velcro... I'll try that.

Any specific velcro brand you recommend? Cheaper the better really...

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Post by FiretoIce » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:25 am

Ok:
I ONLY use Velcro brand velcro, not the other copies or off brands, they've failed before. (A Galacutus Cosplay. my shoulder and arm slide off on stage. fortunately i had hand holds and caught it before it fell off completely and broke. no one even noticed.)

Personally, i use this type: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Velcro-Indus ... l/14927578

But you could probably get away with using this type: http://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-brand ... /202261931

As a rule i always use gorilla glue first, and then sew the corners of the velcro, and add a glob of glue onto the stitches. this way nothing rips apart if your twisting or jumping or anything.
Hope that helps
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

casuallyironicknight

Post by casuallyironicknight » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:35 am

Thank you so much, that helps a lot!!

FiretoIce
Expert Poster