Prop Swords Question

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
ThestiasCosplay
Experienced Poster

Prop Swords Question

Post by ThestiasCosplay » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:54 pm

So my boyfriend is going to be cosplaying as Geralt of Rivia this year, and since this is only my second con and his first, we aren't entirely sure how to go about making his swords. We can't use wood, and metal is a definite no, so anyone able to help us out? What kind of material can we make the swords out of that most likely won't get confiscated?

AB 2016: Petra (AoT) and fem!Draco Malfoy (Harry Potter)
AB 2017: Modern Yennefer of Vengerberg (The Witcher), casual Raven (Teen Titans), Pokémon trainer
Cosplay Page

FiretoIce
Experienced Poster

Re: Prop Swords Question

Post by FiretoIce » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:40 pm

Hi~!

EVA foam is my go to. maybe this video will help you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWMoSk2DI0A

I used a similar technique for a Guts' sword, wonder woman sword and some other props.
2017 AB-
San- 90%
Boros- 80%
Ashiya- 90%

Final count down! *Stress drop*

Ciaobirdie
Experienced Poster

Post by Ciaobirdie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

EVA is always a great option - with a little weathering and the right paint it can look very close to actual metal. There's also the craft foam and worbla method, if you're comfortable working with thermoplastics (and don't mind paying a bit more as worbla can be pricey).
AB '13: Kasane Teto
AB '14: Kasane Teto, Potato GLaDOS, AVPM Draco Malfoy
AB '15: Fem Winter Soldier, SPG Rabbit, Potato GLaDOS
AB '16: Miss Martian, Red Core Rabbit (SPG), Matt the Radar Technician
AB '17: RHPS Columbia, Red Core Rabbit (SPG), Kasane Teto

www.facebook.com/ciaobirdiecosplay

ThestiasCosplay
Experienced Poster

Post by ThestiasCosplay » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:36 pm

When we buy his cosplay (I wanted to make it but neither of us can work with leather or chain mail), it comes with two swords that are made of wood, worbla, and epoxy putty. Can swords made partially of wood be brought to the con? I know the prohibited item list has wood practice swords on it, but the swords aren't all wood (I don't even think they're mostly wood), so I'm not sure how well that would go over.

AB 2017: Modern Yennefer of Vengerberg (The Witcher), casual Raven (Teen Titans), Pokémon trainer
Cosplay Page

FiretoIce
Experienced Poster

Post by FiretoIce » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:26 pm

Where is it wooden?
Anime Boston can't okay or deny props until you get there,
Personally, I stay away from anything with wood or metal.
1) it's heavy and i will put it down somewhere,
2) the bigger the con the more upright security may be.
I've never been to anime Boston, but from experience, I only go with soft items to make props.
2017 AB-
San- 90%
Boros- 80%
Ashiya- 90%

Final count down! *Stress drop*

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:38 pm

As mentioned, they can't approve props beforehand.

In previous experience, I made a sword out of balsa wood. Security gave me a hard time about it, but not about the weight - they told me it was "too sharp". Since then I've decided it's easier to just make soft props. I would go with lighter and softer materials if possible.
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!
Piccolo - Dragonball Z - 100% complete!!
Fem!Ignis - Final Fantasy XV - 100% complete!

ThestiasCosplay
Experienced Poster

Post by ThestiasCosplay » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:42 pm

Awesome, thank you all so much for the help! I know they can't approve things beforehand, but it's nice to hear suggestions before we spend a bunch of money on something we might not be able to bring into the con. I'll contact the shop and see where/how much of it is actually wood before we decide to go with it or just make our own. Thank you so much!

Cosplay Page

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:25 pm

AryaElric wrote:Awesome, thank you all so much for the help! I know they can't approve things beforehand, but it's nice to hear suggestions before we spend a bunch of money on something we might not be able to bring into the con. I'll contact the shop and see where/how much of it is actually wood before we decide to go with it or just make our own. Thank you so much!
Oh yeah, definitely learn from our experiences! I personally have chosen not to do any cosplays that need weapons until things settle down, if they do. Best of luck with your cosplays!
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!
Piccolo - Dragonball Z - 100% complete!!
Fem!Ignis - Final Fantasy XV - 100% complete!

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:06 am

Everyone's already given the "can't approve in advance" spiel, but another rule of thumb that you can use while considering props is this: If you were to hit a human being with your prop, which would receive the most damage? If the answer is the human being, probably best to pass.
Amanda Graves
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2017
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all. Nothing's like before."