Advice from other cosplayers?

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
LayukiKronos
Experienced Poster

Advice from other cosplayers?

Post by LayukiKronos » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:34 pm

Hello!
So I have cosplayed once or twice before at anime boston, but I always end up going alone and only going to the dealers room. This year is going to be my last year (possibly) going to this con before I move away so I was wondering what some tips were to make this year... memorable, or better than the other two. I really want to experience everything the con has to offer but I dont know where to start... any advice? :?
Cosplay 2017 Anime Boston

Asuna Yuuki: Sword Art Online
Ciel Phantomhive: Black Butler Season 1
Viktor Nikiforov: Yuri On Ice
Shinya Hiragi: Seraph of the End
Imanotsurugi: Touken Ranbu

Cerebral_Boar
AB Staff

Re: Advice from other cosplayers?

Post by Cerebral_Boar » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:49 pm

I think the best thing to do would be to just get out there. I cosplayed for my first time ever at AB16 as Solidus Snake. I had no immediate plans of finding a particular person group; my plan was just to break my cosplay cherry. My plan shifted when I noticed there would be a Metal Gear cosplay group photo shoot. I ended up meeting a lot of awesome people and I'll be seeing them again at AB17.
P.S. If you don't mind answering, do you have an idea who you'll be cosplaying as?
Michael St. Pierre
Anime Boston
Junior Tech Staff 2015-2017
Senior Technical Staff 2018
"Does April the 3rd mean anything to you? I believe that was the day of our first encounter. You look like you might be remembering something..."
-Richard, Hotline Miami

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:36 am

If you're planning on cosplaying, keep an eye on the Cosplay Groups and Gatherings subforum for other groups that may be forming around your cosplay source. These usually update more frequently closer to con, but if you're not seeing a thread yet around your cosplay, feel free to make one! You might be surprised at how many people just lurk waiting for someone else to speak up.

Also, consider joining the Anime Boston Social Facebook Group because a lot of cosplay groups post there, as well.

If this is going to be your last year (sad!) you should check out the schedule as soon as its available, make notes, and plan out a game plan for what you really want to do. Do you want to meet the Guests? Go to a Concert? The Dance? The Masquerade? Are there particular panels that pique your interest? Check them all out! Make this con about you and what you want to do, and go out with a bang! :mrgreen:
Amanda Graves
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2018
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all. Nothing's like before."

LayukiKronos
Experienced Poster

Post by LayukiKronos » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:31 am

Cerebral_Boar wrote:I think the best thing to do would be to just get out there. I cosplayed for my first time ever at AB16 as Solidus Snake. I had no immediate plans of finding a particular person group; my plan was just to break my cosplay cherry. My plan shifted when I noticed there would be a Metal Gear cosplay group photo shoot. I ended up meeting a lot of awesome people and I'll be seeing them again at AB17.
P.S. If you don't mind answering, do you have an idea who you'll be cosplaying as?

I plan on going as Ciel Phantomhive from Black Butler. I made a post in the group forum but I dont think anyone has replied yet. :oops:

MandaTifa wrote:If you're planning on cosplaying, keep an eye on the Cosplay Groups and Gatherings subforum for other groups that may be forming around your cosplay source. These usually update more frequently closer to con, but if you're not seeing a thread yet around your cosplay, feel free to make one! You might be surprised at how many people just lurk waiting for someone else to speak up.

Also, consider joining the Anime Boston Social Facebook Group because a lot of cosplay groups post there, as well.

If this is going to be your last year (sad!) you should check out the schedule as soon as its available, make notes, and plan out a game plan for what you really want to do. Do you want to meet the Guests? Go to a Concert? The Dance? The Masquerade? Are there particular panels that pique your interest? Check them all out! Make this con about you and what you want to do, and go out with a bang! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice! Ill definitely keep my eyes out for the schedule. If you don't mind me asking, what is the Masquerade?

royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:56 pm

I second the Masquerade. I've only just started attending it, and it's a blast. There are skits,the cosplay contest, AMV winners are shown, and the hosts are hilarious. It's very entertaining. A lot of the games are fun, too. I really enjoy the Cosplay Death Match. Panels are great as well. Hope you enjoy your potentially last year!
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: GLaDOS, Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), steampunk!Alice (all subject to change)

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:35 am

LayukiKronos wrote:Thanks for the advice! Ill definitely keep my eyes out for the schedule. If you don't mind me asking, what is the Masquerade?
As Masquerade staff, I would be HAPPY to answer that question for you!

The Masquerade is a competition of cosplay. There are two categories: Craftsmanship and Performance. For Craftsmanship, you present your costume along with reference pictures to a panel of judges. The judges are very thorough, and will ask all sorts of questions about the making of your costume. Performance is just what it sounds like. It is a series of short skits performed on stage by cosplayers. These performances are also critiqued by a panel of judges. It all culminates into a fantastic show about 2 hours long, and draws a crowd of thousands. It's such a popular event, that (free) tickets are handed out prior to the show to guarantee seating. So whether you are a cosplayer looking to compete or just want to see the show, it's definitely worth checking out. :mrgreen:
Amanda Graves
Attendee 2010-2011

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all. Nothing's like before."

LayukiKronos
Experienced Poster

Post by LayukiKronos » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:07 pm

I'll definitely check out the masquerade then! If they hand out tickets then I shouldn't have to worry about getting seated. Thanks guys! I am really pumped for my last year here! Your advice is really appreciated :D

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:27 am

LayukiKronos wrote:I'll definitely check out the masquerade then! If they hand out tickets then I shouldn't have to worry about getting seated. Thanks guys! I am really pumped for my last year here! Your advice is really appreciated :D
Tickets for the Masquerade for are usually handed out during Saturday from one room (I think 201, but I'm playing off of memory here) so I'd recommend grabbing yours first thing that day! :D
Amanda Graves
Attendee 2010-2011

Nenie
Determined Poster

Post by Nenie » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:55 am

You should join the Cosplay Deathmatch event!
AB07-Aya from Super Gals
AB08-Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09-Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10-Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11-Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12-Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13-Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14- Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15- Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB16- Casey from Pokemon

AB17- Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer

Mina Finn
Veteran Poster

Post by Mina Finn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:32 pm

I'd recommend applying for Cosplay Games, and at the con, just interacting with other cosplayers and trying to make friends! Sometimes all it takes is a simple "Hello, I like your cosplay" to meet people! Look for people cosplaying from the same fandom you are. That makes it much easier to break the ice. After that, friends of friends are great to hang out with too.
they/them pronouns, please

AB 2016 Cosplay Lineup

Friday: Sasha Braus (Attack on Titan) in the Cosplay Death Match
Saturday: Sasha Braus (Attack on Titan) in the Cosplay Couples Game/Medusa Gorgon (Soul Eater) in Cosplay Family Feud
Sunday: Patty Thompson (Soul Eater) in Cosplay Chess (SITCAS)

Next Con

UCon @ UConn

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:37 pm

Seconded on the Deathmatch. Also, feel free to chat up people as you wait for panels to start! I had a good time talking with people who I was in line with!

And for what it's worth, I'm incredibly introverted, but most everyone at Anime Boston has always been friendly and never made me feel foolish for talking to them.
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!
Piccolo - Dragonball Z - 100% complete!!
Fem!Ignis - Final Fantasy XV - 100% complete!

LayukiKronos
Experienced Poster

Post by LayukiKronos » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Should I try to make friends with people before the con on these forums? My parents are afraid of me going there by myself (even though I've gone for the past couple of years). I want to go and know someone, how should I find people? :|

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:57 am

LayukiKronos wrote:Should I try to make friends with people before the con on these forums? My parents are afraid of me going there by myself (even though I've gone for the past couple of years). I want to go and know someone, how should I find people? :|
The forums are more of an information-gathering tool. There is a subsection for "Find A Friend" (which it looks like you already found) but I don't know how often it's checked. You might have better luck meeting new people in the Anime Boston Facebook group.
Amanda Graves
Attendee 2010-2011

MomoKitty
I'm Special!

Post by MomoKitty » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:42 pm

MandaTifa wrote:
LayukiKronos wrote:Should I try to make friends with people before the con on these forums? My parents are afraid of me going there by myself (even though I've gone for the past couple of years). I want to go and know someone, how should I find people? :|
The forums are more of an information-gathering tool. There is a subsection for "Find A Friend" (which it looks like you already found) but I don't know how often it's checked. You might have better luck meeting new people in the Anime Boston Facebook group.
Also, the Facebook groups are waaay more active than the forums.
Planned Cosplays for AB 2018
SPACE BABY!
Duo Maxwell-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Pidge- Voltron
Secret Space Cosplay
Chat Noir- Miraculous Ladybug
Adrien Agreste-Miraculous Ladybug