Color Contacts?

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
sylphofkarkat
Veteran Poster

Color Contacts?

Post by sylphofkarkat »

Hi, I have a question to pose. Next year, I'm cosplaying a character with amber eyes. I have brown eyes. I was wondering: Is it worth it to get color contacts? I hear that contacts are uncomfortable to wear, but I want my cosplay to be as accurate as possible. I also wear glasses, so I'm not sure if the color will be seen.

Help please? Thank you~
currently: the grind never ends

ab11-12,14-18
ab19: sayo hikawa [rainy blue rose](bang dream)
sogo osaka [part 3 casual](idolish7)
kase tomoka (asagao to kase-san)
naoise [summer] or lucilius (granblue fantasy)
GuyWithTheFace
Experienced Poster

Re: Color Contacts?

Post by GuyWithTheFace »

Personally, I wouldn't get the color contacts unless it really bothers you and you have extra money to throw around. People aren't going to ttake pictures of you and look at them later going "Her eye color's wrong, the cosplay is ruined!" You'll have glasses too so it might end up as an unnoticed detail. That's just my personal opinion. And I have major issues with putting things into my eyes (eyedrops take me like 15 minutes) so I might be biased.

tl;dr - No need for contacts since it's not an issue at all.
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

Contacts can make an awesome addition to complete a cosplay. However, there are a few caveots that go with that.

Contacts are a medical device and require a perscription. You have to get measured by your eye doctor (some even stock colored lenses and will help you pick the ones you need or give you free samples.) They are considered a medical device and are regulated by the FDA. Every reputable dealer will require a perscription before handing them over. If they don't, run away. Contacts aren't like make-up, they can do serious damage. You only get two eyes, so take care of them! Your optomitrist will also show you how to put them in properly, so it won't be a big deal to get them in and out.

Best part about the perscription, you won't have to wear your glasses. (I started with contacts for cosplay and loved them so much, I almost never wear my glasses anymore.)

Rant done... mostly. I love my lenses, but a few more things to consider:
1. Is this a character you are commited to? Or is this a one time thing? Contacts can get expensive very quickly, so make sure this is someone you really love and are going to use at multiple events. (Or to freak out the norms: it leads to interesting reactions. Try I-HOP at 1 am with red lenses :) )
2. It sounds like you've got dark eyes, it can be hard to get lenses you will notice. I tried to get purple lenses, but because my eyes are green/gray, you can hardly tell they're in. (They're a brand for "normal people-" not theatrical). With my red ones, they're opaque, so you can definitely tell. The only drawback is that it can be difficult to see in the dark. My pupil dialates, but the hole in the lense will not, so it takes getting used to. If you know you're going to be in the dark for a long time (at masq. or the amvs or something) you might consider taking them out, so that you don't miss anything.

I don't find them uncomfortable at all. They do take a bit of getting used to and if you decide to get them, try to do so a few months before the convention. That way you'll have time to be able to get used to putting them in and wearing them around. If you put them in for an hour or two at first and then build up, by the time AB comes you'll be able to wear them all day.
Kate Harrison
Asst. Merchandising Manager
sylphofkarkat
Veteran Poster

Post by sylphofkarkat »

Thanks for the advice! :D It really helps me out! Another question: if I do get them, how much would they cost? Glasses get to be like $200, and I'm thinking contacts would be more because you replace them.
currently: the grind never ends

ab11-12,14-18
ab19: sayo hikawa [rainy blue rose](bang dream)
sogo osaka [part 3 casual](idolish7)
kase tomoka (asagao to kase-san)
naoise [summer] or lucilius (granblue fantasy)
The_Queen_Boo
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Queen_Boo »

To answer your second question: You can get contacts from your eye doctor and depending on your insurance, they could come out free or with a small co-pay. But if you shop around online (w/o insurance), they run from around $15+ a pair depending if you need a special size or color. Some are even $200+. Again, it all depends.

Also, I'd like to second the safety of buying contacts from a legit Optometrist. I own a pair of blue contacts that I bought @a very sketchy place (Downtown Park Street [underground!!!] train station store. Seriously can't get sketchier than that!) and they don't bother my eyes. Yet, they're super uncomfortable for long wear so I end up crying them out in the bathroom and I've recently been having actual eye problems. This goes the same for wearing those clear lens glasses. They strain your eyes. So, in the end, it's up to you. They're too risky and unless your character has blood red eyes, neon yellow or they're blacked out, it seriously isn't worth the money or the effort.
Hope that helps!
:)
Anime Boston 2012
Friday: Prince Gumball from Genderbent!Adventure Time
Saturday: AngelTransformation!Stocking from Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt CLICK ME!
Sunday: EasterBunny!Eric Cartman from South Park or ???
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Since this question is asked many times each year, I've asked Faceman to sticky it.

Personally, I use this site. They specialize in contacts for dark eyes and DO check for Rx before shipping, and their prices are reasonable.

Color Nova and Color Max are both very good for dark eyes. Don't let your optometrist talk you into getting AcuVue colors, if you have dark eyes they will NOT show up. I learned this the hard way.

I will copy/paste some pertinent information regarding the sale and care of contact lenses here:

CONTACT LENS SAFETY
As with other contact lenses, theatrical contact lenses must be cared for properly. Please memorize the following guidelines before wearing special effect contacts .

***Important Notice***

New Federal law mandates all Plano Theatrical Contact Lenses are considered Medical Devices, and as such, require a person to see an eye care professional for an eye exam and to obtain a valid prescription from the eye care professional before being able to purchase contact lenses online.

Eye exams are not that expensive and well worth the money you spend, considering the well being of your eyesight.

Anyone who would sell you theatrical contact lenses, disregarding the new law, only cares about making money, not the health of your eyes, besides, it's not legal. Please consider that when making your purchase.

Consult your eye care professional for advice on the safe insertion and removal of your colored contact lenses.

Always wash your hands before inserting, removing or handling your contact lenses.

Use only the lens disinfection regimen recommended by your eye care professional.

Never use tap water on your lenses.

Never share your lenses with anyone. This can lead to infection and the spread of disease.

Never sleep with your lenses on. Wear them only the number of hours recommended by your eye care professional.

Have your eyes examined every year.

Do not wear theatrical contact lenses while driving a car or other motorized vehicle.

If you experience any unusual redness, blurriness, discomfort, excessive itching or pain, remove your lenses immediately and consult your eye care professional.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Rukeya
Experienced Poster

Post by Rukeya »

The biggest problem you're going to run into is your eye doctor. If you decide to get colored contacts, make sure you inform them before you even place the order. If your eye doctor isn't sure what's going on, they may deny your order or change it without consulting you (the shop you buy from will likely request permission from your eye doctor, even if you hand them a prescription yourself).

If you're a first time contact lens wearer, I recommend you get some (non-colored) weekly test freebies from your eye doctor to make sure you can handle putting things in your eye.
Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

Rukeya wrote: If you're a first time contact lens wearer, I recommend you get some (non-colored) weekly test freebies from your eye doctor to make sure you can handle putting things in your eye.
THIS is a FANTASTIC idea. Mind if I steal it for the panel I'm doing re: cosplay safety (with a large focus on contact lens safety)?

I've personally never had trouble with my eye doctor changing my order on me. If you specify that you want colored contacts for a costume and they should understand you want what you're asking for and nothing else (you really don't have to go into more detail if you don't want...and if you are uncomfortable outing yourself as a cosplayer say it's for a play or student film you're in).

The brand I'm most familiar with for colored lenses is Acuvue. I can't remember how much they cost me, but a quick google search shows the price jumps all over. They aren't likely going to get as expensive as glasses in one purchase because if these are for a costume you aren't wearing them daily so you only need a new pair every time you go to a con (NEVER wear old lenses that have been sitting in the same solution for a long period of time). Even if you are looking for theatrical lenses try asking your eye doctor first. They might have a good referral for a company or you may even be able to get them through your doctor's office.

Based on the cost and relative hassle, there are a lot of pros and cons to weigh as to whether or not to get cosmetic lenses. How distinctive are the characters eyes? For example, Yuna from FFX has two different colored eyes and though there is no mention of this in the game fans often view it as a very key aspect of her appearance. Whereas, to use an example from the same game, I cannot remember what color Wakka's eyes are off hand. I would say if your eyes are in the same color family (the OP said brown to amber, which I think is a close match) don't bother unless it is a major detail in their character design or major focal point (pun not intended) of the series. If it's a drastic change, like brown to blue, it's not necessary, but might be worth it.
mysteria
Experienced Poster

Post by mysteria »

I bought red ones for my Sebastian costume from here: http://www.youknowit.com/. They worked very well until the end of the day, but that was my fault. Everyone will think I'm stupid for this, but I kept them in for 14 hours( I feel dumb writing it). They overall didn't bother me for the early hours. Bring drops with you and keep moisturized. Also start wearing them once in a while about 2 weeks before the con to "break them in" and adjust your eyes.^-^
AB 2009: Tenten
AB 2010: Momo Hinamori ( I won't lie, I do regret this one)
AB 2011: Sebastian Michaelis
AB 2012: N. Italy
AB 2013: Korra
AB 2014: Edward Elric
AB 2015: Ashitaka
AB 2016: Raven
Qu-ko
Veteran Poster

Post by Qu-ko »

I figure I may as well ask this question in this topic instead of making a brand new one...

I have rather dark brown eyes. The character I want to cosplay has very unique sea-green eyes, as seen here. I don't wear glasses and never have, so I don't have a prescription, but I'd be willing to practice a bit for the con if I did manage to get some.

My questions:

1) Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for where to get my eyes measured and checked for cosmetic lenses like these, and about how much it'll cost? I don't want to pay out the ass for it if I can help it, but I get it's still probably not going to be cheap. I live on the North Shore, and I've been looking at some of the big department stores like Wal-Mart that have eye care centers where they do exams and such, but a second opinion can't hurt, I suppose.

2) Are there any suggestions for opaque lenses that would come relatively close to this color without looking ridiculously out-of-place? I don't think I have the luxury to be too picky, so I'd settle for a green that looks natural but still pops enough to look bright. As I said, I have brown eyes, so tinting lenses probably won't work.

On a related note, I've heard things about disposable colored contacts that you throw out after a month or two of use -- would these be a good option for someone like me who doesn't use contacts regularly, or should I just shell out for the normal ones?
Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

Qu-ko wrote: 1) Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for where to get my eyes measured and checked for cosmetic lenses like these, and about how much it'll cost? I don't want to pay out the ass for it if I can help it, but I get it's still probably not going to be cheap. I live on the North Shore, and I've been looking at some of the big department stores like Wal-Mart that have eye care centers where they do exams and such, but a second opinion can't hurt, I suppose.
The first time I got my eyes measured for contacts was at a chain optometrist, Pearl Vision, in a mall. As long as the optometrist is legit, I wouldn't worry. Though in Wal-Mart, they've got to be certified to work as a medical professional (especially in such a high profile store).
2) Are there any suggestions for opaque lenses that would come relatively close to this color without looking ridiculously out-of-place? I don't think I have the luxury to be too picky, so I'd settle for a green that looks natural but still pops enough to look bright. As I said, I have brown eyes, so tinting lenses probably won't work.
When you go to get your eyes checked ask to look at the options for colored contacts that would be available to you. My optometrist sells me Acuvue Colors, which come in a variety that I *think* includes a blueish-green color like you need. If you aren't satisfied with the colors offered to you, ask your optometrist for recommendations of where else to look. If that doesn't come up with anything you can look for a seller online but make sure to really do your homework on them to stay as safe as possible.
On a related note, I've heard things about disposable colored contacts that you throw out after a month or two of use -- would these be a good option for someone like me who doesn't use contacts regularly, or should I just shell out for the normal ones?
This again is something you should talk about when you go to get your eyes checked. I've only ever used monthly disposable lenses, which sometimes I stretch a little longer for colored lenses if I'm not wearing them daily by keeping the solution they're in fresh and cleaning them every week or so. The recommended lifespan of lenses can dictate how you care for them. For example, if you're trying to make lenses last longer you will have to make sure to take care of them between uses. If you just want to use them once and throw them out, then you don't have to worry about caring for them, however you need to decide if the one use is worth the money you spend on them. If there's no chance you'll wear the lenses more than once in a long period of time, however, it is safer to just throw them out.
Amavin
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Amavin »

Once you have your eyes measured by a doctor you can then order lenses that will fit. Something like Halloween contacts is a good place to start your search. Then you can find opaque lenses and I'd bet they won't be ridiculously expensive.
AB2012 Kurotsuchi Nemu (Friday)
AB2014 (WIP) Lucy Heartfilia, Alice Lidell (blue dress and gold teapot cannon)
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Do any of these sites offer toric options? I'm looking for red contacts for Soul from Soul Eater but I have pretty nasty astigmatism so even if I bought the colored contacts, I'd still be stuck wearing glasses over them since I can't find any site that offers them in toric correction and would need them toric and thusly still be blind.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

MarmaladeChainsaw84 wrote:Do any of these sites offer toric options? I'm looking for red contacts for Soul from Soul Eater but I have pretty nasty astigmatism so even if I bought the colored contacts, I'd still be stuck wearing glasses over them since I can't find any site that offers them in toric correction and would need them toric and thusly still be blind.
Again, I'd ask your optometrist as they'd know best where you can get that sort of thing. As popularity of cosmetic lenses rise it may be possible to get toric cosmetic lenses, but still hard to find. Good luck!

And worse comes to worse, you can get the lenses (still be careful to find safe ones!) and wear your glasses to see, but take them off for photos. Not ideal, of course, but it's an option.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Gale wrote:
MarmaladeChainsaw84 wrote:Do any of these sites offer toric options? I'm looking for red contacts for Soul from Soul Eater but I have pretty nasty astigmatism so even if I bought the colored contacts, I'd still be stuck wearing glasses over them since I can't find any site that offers them in toric correction and would need them toric and thusly still be blind.
Again, I'd ask your optometrist as they'd know best where you can get that sort of thing. As popularity of cosmetic lenses rise it may be possible to get toric cosmetic lenses, but still hard to find. Good luck!

And worse comes to worse, you can get the lenses (still be careful to find safe ones!) and wear your glasses to see, but take them off for photos. Not ideal, of course, but it's an option.

I've looked everywhere and sadly I think that's my only option is to buy plano (non-corrective) lenses and wear my glasses over them. It's either that or I walk into stuff since my astigmatism throws off my depth perception lol.

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

Post by drgnladysupreme »

You can try 9mm SFX. They do custom orders, and have options for toric/astigmatism correction. The faq's say that torics cost about $40 per lens.
J. Love Tatum
God hustle, 2016! Good hustle.
2017 is gonna be totally rad.
  • Hints will go here
  • For something old and new.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

drgnladysupreme wrote:You can try 9mm SFX. They do custom orders, and have options for toric/astigmatism correction. The faq's say that torics cost about $40 per lens.
That's nifty to know but way more than I'd be willing to spend on a single pair of contacts. Since I'll have to go to my optometrist to get an updated prescription anyway (my yearly exam is up soon), I'll just ask him about options. If I have the option to wear plano with my glasses, I will probably do that or maybe he can get me a deal I can't find online (unlikely). Besides, I need to make sure they will be comfortable enough for me to wear for 3 days without much hassle. The contacts (my prescription ones I never bothered to refill) I normally had were dry last year and one fell out somewhere by accident on the first day since my allergies were epically kicking my ass. I have better options for my allergies this year (taking honey to make them slightly less irritated) so I don't think that allergy eyes will be much of a factor this year.

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
ashanyao
Veteran Poster

Post by ashanyao »

personally i sucked it up and went to my optometrist and got acuvue 2 color contacts. i tried wearing them around today and my vision was "foggy" even though they're prescription. i'm guessing that's the nature of the beast with colored contacts. either way, i would still suggest going to an optometrist.. i'm glad i did because otherwise i'd be freaking out that i ruined my eyes, hah! as it stands, i will probably pop them in when i arrive at the convention center.
✧・゚:* AB 2024 *:・゚✧
Friday AM ⋆ Sailor Mars
Friday PM ⋆ Princess / Prom Flayn
Saturday ⋆ Timeskip Lysithea (masquerade) - FE3H
Sunday ⋆ Abigail - Stardew Valley

✧・゚:* SOCIALS *:・゚✧
https://www.instagram.com/ashanyao/
https://www.facebook.com/ashanyaocosplay/
https://twitter.com/ashanyao
Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

ashanyao wrote:personally i sucked it up and went to my optometrist and got acuvue 2 color contacts. i tried wearing them around today and my vision was "foggy" even though they're prescription. i'm guessing that's the nature of the beast with colored contacts. either way, i would still suggest going to an optometrist.. i'm glad i did because otherwise i'd be freaking out that i ruined my eyes, hah! as it stands, i will probably pop them in when i arrive at the convention center.

I have the same problem with my acuvues. They don't fit my eyes quite right so the color slides down slightly into my pupil (whereas it's supposed to rest around it with your pupil looking through the "hole" in the color). I'm hoping the "color enhancers" (ones with transparent color) won't have that problem, but you can only get away with those if you have pale eyes and they only come in blue, green, and teal.
Sunset Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Sunset Hero »

So wait, for the guy who doesn't need glasses, but wants to use contacts to change his eye colour, do I have to do all that medical stuff as well? Also now I'm second guessing myself, and wondering if this is reputable place to buy the contacts I'm looking for: http://www.dreameyes.com/uv-and-black-l ... act-lenses
striker923
AB Staff

Post by striker923 »

Sunset Hero wrote:So wait, for the guy who doesn't need glasses, but wants to use contacts to change his eye colour, do I have to do all that medical stuff as well? Also now I'm second guessing myself, and wondering if this is reputable place to buy the contacts I'm looking for: http://www.dreameyes.com/uv-and-black-l ... act-lenses
Contact lenses are a medical device, even if they are not used for vision correction (and just to change eye color). You should consult an eye doctor to measure you, they will also explain how to use/care for them, and recommend several reputable brands.
Kim Miller Brown
2022 Outreach Manager
ashanyao
Veteran Poster

Post by ashanyao »

i forgot i posted in this thread so long ago!

since that time i've been using colored contacts from pinkyparadise.com. they were PERFECT for my azunyan! they also lasted about a year with cleaning/upkeep/disinfecting. update on my eyes: i've got minor corrective glasses and an astigmatism and even when i put in my prescription -- without astigmatism added -- the lenses were just fine and i could see as clear as a bell, probably because the radius is larger so it covered a bigger surface on my eyes.

anyway, i 100% recomend ordering from that website. if you have any other questions please feel free to ask me. <3
✧・゚:* AB 2024 *:・゚✧
Friday AM ⋆ Sailor Mars
Friday PM ⋆ Princess / Prom Flayn
Saturday ⋆ Timeskip Lysithea (masquerade) - FE3H
Sunday ⋆ Abigail - Stardew Valley

✧・゚:* SOCIALS *:・゚✧
https://www.instagram.com/ashanyao/
https://www.facebook.com/ashanyaocosplay/
https://twitter.com/ashanyao
xXmisamarasanXx
Getting the hang of this...

Post by xXmisamarasanXx »

I know everyone is saying to go see an eye doctor or whatever...but i wear color contacts and circle lenses pretty often, and ive never gotten them with a prescription or went to see an eye doctor. i just buy my contacts from either http://www.pinkyparadise.com/ or http://honeycolor.com/ and get ones without a prescription (which im actually not sure is legal) In my experience all the contacts i've gotten are bigger than my iris and are extremely comfortable.

I know that im probably going to get alot of people telling me what im doing is wrong but its not going to stop me from buying and wearing circle lenses. As long as you keep the contacts clean and your hands clean when you put them in, you should be fine. And if you feel any discomfort with these lenses take them out IMMEDIATELY. Make sure you look at the contacts before you put them in and make sure that there arent any particles from clothing or dirt or anything in them.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

xXmisamarasanXx wrote:I know everyone is saying to go see an eye doctor or whatever...but i wear color contacts and circle lenses pretty often, and ive never gotten them with a prescription or went to see an eye doctor. i just buy my contacts from either http://www.pinkyparadise.com/ or http://honeycolor.com/ and get ones without a prescription (which im actually not sure is legal)
You cannot buy contact lenses in the United States without a valid prescription written by a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist.

The phrase "non-prescription contact lenses" often is used to describe contacts with no power to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism. Examples of non-prescription (also called "plano") contact lenses are color or special-effect contacts worn at Halloween or other times by people with perfect vision for the sole purpose of altering their appearance.

But because all contact lenses cover the surface of the eye and therefore present a risk of eye infections or other problems — especially if the lenses are not fitted, worn and cared for properly — even contacts like Halloween lenses with no corrective power are considered medical devices and require a valid contact lens prescription that specifies the brand and parameters of the lenses.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
PatternerMage
Expert Poster

Post by PatternerMage »

Kiarrens wrote:
xXmisamarasanXx wrote:I know everyone is saying to go see an eye doctor or whatever...but i wear color contacts and circle lenses pretty often, and ive never gotten them with a prescription or went to see an eye doctor. i just buy my contacts from either http://www.pinkyparadise.com/ or http://honeycolor.com/ and get ones without a prescription (which im actually not sure is legal)
You cannot buy contact lenses in the United States without a valid prescription written by a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist.

The phrase "non-prescription contact lenses" often is used to describe contacts with no power to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism. Examples of non-prescription (also called "plano") contact lenses are color or special-effect contacts worn at Halloween or other times by people with perfect vision for the sole purpose of altering their appearance.

But because all contact lenses cover the surface of the eye and therefore present a risk of eye infections or other problems — especially if the lenses are not fitted, worn and cared for properly — even contacts like Halloween lenses with no corrective power are considered medical devices and require a valid contact lens prescription that specifies the brand and parameters of the lenses.
I cannot agree more. Anyone can order from Honeycolor or Pinkyparadise without showing a prescription, but the US has laws in place to prevent that kind of sale from happening for a reason. In the end, you are sticking a foreign object into your eye! It is so very important that you see an eye doctor before wearing contacts to make sure you are eligible to wear them (i.e. they will not injure your eyes) and so you know how to care for/wear them properly. You can even bring the contacts you bought online with you so that the eye doctor can check them! Heck, my eye doctor even has free trial lenses in various colours with no prescription strength that you can try on.

Please take care of your eyes. Contacts carry with them the potential for life-long injury and blindness. Cosplay accuracy is not worth that!
Thespellbladesenpai
AB Alumni

Post by Thespellbladesenpai »

i'm pretty sure that most people wouldn't really care for the eye color. like what most people said if you going to be wearing or are wearing glasses then most people won't really notice them i have taken pictures of myself in cosplay and I don't usually focus to much on the eyes (granted that phones usually have less image quality than traditional digital cameras) . that's what I'm getting from this thread at least.
Thomas Wooster
Junior Technical Staff Anime Boston 2015, 2016, 2017

"The English have a saying all is fair in love and war" -Darjeeling

Cosplays
2015: Street Clothes
2016: Genderbend Darjeeling (Girls und Panzer)
2017: Umetero Nozaki (Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun) & Genderbend Darjeeling (Girls und Panzer)
foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn »

In terms of cosplay:

If you have an astigmatism or other issue that makes getting contact lenses really hard or impossible, or if you can't afford them, it's not a huge deal. However, the right pair of colored contacts can really add a lot to a cosplay and if you're serious and a perfectionist about cosplay then getting them is definitely worth it.

In terms of safety:

Always get your eyes measured by an eye doctor and make appointments first to make sure you can actually get them and put them in your eyes. Get your doctor's permission to order them and a prescription. After buying a pair, you should wear them to another appointment with the eye doctor and have them make sure the lenses fit your eyes right.

Buying them without a doctor's permission and a prescription, even for plano lenses, is illegal in the US, since all contacts are considered medical devices. Make sure the site is reputable. It's also good if the US FDA has approved the lenses.

Don't wear them for too long and take them out immediately if you experience discomfort. Also make sure to clean and store them properly.

Recommendations:

I own multiple pairs of Acuvue lenses from the eye doctor, and they show up beautifully over my dark eyes. They are also very comfortable and safe. But other reputable websites have good contacts, too.
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul
mike1234
I'm new!

Post by mike1234 »

sylphofkarkat wrote:Hi, I have a question to pose. Next year, I'm cosplaying a character with amber eyes. I have brown eyes. I was wondering: Is it worth it to get Sharingan Contacts? I hear that contacts are uncomfortable to wear, but I want my cosplay to be as accurate as possible. I also wear glasses, so I'm not sure if the color will be seen.

Help please? Thank you~
No it is very comfortable I used lenses since past two years. Just consult with your eye specialist and wear contact lenses.