Clawed Gloves

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
DemonGirl-Setsuna
Veteran Poster

Clawed Gloves

Post by DemonGirl-Setsuna » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:05 am

I plan to cosplay as a character that has claws. (Not doing it this year, but in the future...)

I had actually cosplayed this character before with the fake-claws adhered to my real-nails & they kept popping off. And a fellow cosplayer at the photo-shoot with me suggested that I attach the claws to a pair of gloves.

It’s now been a few-years since that piece of advice & I've finally got my hands on a pair of skin-colored gloves.

And frankly, I have no clue as to how to attach the fake-claws to the gloves...

I did find a few tutorials online, but they’ve let me a bit confused. :? (One said to use hot-glue, another said super or craft glue... Or the instructions were a little vague…)

So, does anybody got advice that comes from first-hand experience?
AB 2018 Cosplay(s);

~ To be Announced... ~

Been attending Anime Boston since 2010!

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Re: Clawed Gloves

Post by MandaTifa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am

DemonGirl-Setsuna wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:05 am

Was that a glove pun? :lol:

I've never done this before myself, so I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I imagine that you'll want a glue that will adhere both to fabric and the acrylic nail. Maybe try actual nail glue first? Might want to do some tests with cheap acrylic nails and some fabric swatches before committing to a nail/glue/glove combo that works long term.

Also, if your claws need to be painted, I think that you should do that before you attach them to the gloves.
Amanda Graves
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2018
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all. Nothing's like before."

DemonGirl-Setsuna
Veteran Poster

Post by DemonGirl-Setsuna » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:19 pm

MandaTifa wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am

I've never done this before myself, so I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I imagine that you'll want a glue that will adhere both to fabric and the acrylic nail. Maybe try actual nail glue first? Might want to do some tests with cheap acrylic nails and some fabric swatches before committing to a nail/glue/glove combo that works long term.

Also, if your claws need to be painted, I think that you should do that before you attach them to the gloves.

I don't have any fabric swatches of the cloth/material that the gloves are made of... (I can't find any either...)

MandaTifa wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am
DemonGirl-Setsuna wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:05 am

Was that a glove pun? :lol:

OMG! :oops: That was completely unintended! (It was done by accident...)
AB 2018 Cosplay(s);

~ To be Announced... ~

Been attending Anime Boston since 2010!

Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiroikami » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:18 pm

You'll want to look for a multi-material glue (something like E6000 - http://amzn.to/2hDOXf2).

To actually attach them, I would recommend cutting cellophane pieces to put inside the gloves. Cut them around the same size as or slightly larger than the contact area between the claws and the gloves, and carefully slide them into each finger. I also recommend buying a handful of short dowel rods around the width of your fingers to use as a "dress form" so that the fingertips of the gloves will hold their shape as the glue dries.
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter

slippers
AB Staff

Post by slippers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:50 pm

If you're not sure what glue to use for something, I recommend taking a look at This to That.
Andrew Guertin
Senior Technical Staff 2016-18
Junior Technical Staff 2014-15

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 am

slippers wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:50 pm
If you're not sure what glue to use for something, I recommend taking a look at This to That.
That is an awesome site that I can't believe I never knew existed. However, it doesn't list acrylic as an option. My closest guess would be plastic.
Amanda Graves
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2018
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all. Nothing's like before."