Lessons Learned at Anime Boston 2015

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2015.
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Lessons Learned at Anime Boston 2015

Post by RayneDeanZ »

The place to share knowledge and, in general, talk about what we learned in preparation for and during this years con.

1: Don't be afraid to talk to people, because you'll be surprised what kind of friends you'll make.

2: Don't think about what others will say.

3: Tie. Your. Shoes. This one applies to any escalator. There was a boy in front of me at one point who's lace got caught in the escalator, which was packed with people who nearly knocked him over. Scary stuff.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)
Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)

AB 2023:
Victablook
Expert Poster

Re: Lessons Learned at Anime Boston 2015

Post by Victablook »

The group you came with to the con won't always be doing the same things with you. Just plan out the stuff you want to do and go with whoever wants to do the same stuff with you. The less stress from freaking out over where your group members are, the better.
2024:
tails (sonic)
ryuk (death note)
AbZeroNow
Expert Poster

Post by AbZeroNow »

1. Michael Sinterniklaas is an awesome guest.

2. I need to increase my convention budget to set aside almost $100 for food.

3. After checking in at the Cambridge Marriott Boston(15 to 30 minutes from the Hynes by T) on Thursday, it is so much easier to use the E train to Prudential than the other Green Line stops. Exiting by the Cheesecake Factory is much better than having to hike up Boylston St.

4. My fellow Macross fans are great.

5. The Aniplex rep remembered me and my sister from last year. Nice.

6. Viz reps were pretty cool and nice. Hope they come back next year.
Anime Boston attendee since 2011.
AnimeGunner

Post by AnimeGunner »

Use the Boylston Street entrance. It makes life easier.
NanoZero
Experienced Poster

Post by NanoZero »

1. Bring your own food into the con. I spent so much of my money on just food alone. Sometimes, I went too many hours without food because of the ridiculous lines to get into the con from the Pru.

2. If you want to make friends and socialize, you need to be the one to talk to people. I was too shy and nervous, but I should have known that people weren't gonna come to me, I had to come to them.

3. Sunday after the Closing Ceremonies makes a great time to have photoshoots. You get to pick wherever you want to take photos and there won't be any interruptions. As long as your group mates don't have anywhere else to be, this time really works.

4. Speaking of photoshoots, everyone this year liked to hold their big meetups at 2PM on Saturday for some reason. The third floor was absolutely chaotic and the poor RWBY group had to move outside, which ruined their big meetup. If you're going to organize a photoshoot, please have a variety of back up plans.

5. The LiSA concert was amazing, but the balcony seats were not so awesome. If you have to wait 3 hours in line for great front seats, do it.

6. It's okay to have a cosplay that's not as accurate (or finished) as you wished it could be. Just work it. People are really nice and will notice you even if you think your costume is crap.
AB2012: Kino
AB2013: Misaka Mikoto (casual)
AB2014: Ryuko Matoi (EP 1)
AB2015: Seo Yuzuki & Akatsuki (1st season)
AB2016: Inkling School Girl Version (Splatoon) & Oboro (Fire Emblem Fates)
AB2017:Umi Sonoda (China Dress & Arabian Dancer),Lucina & Hanamaru Kunikida (Winter Uniform)
AB2018:Constellation Umi Sonoda & Makoto Niijima
AB2019: Flower Bouquet Umi Sonoda, Cinnabar, F!Corrin & Ryuko Matoi (Senketsu)
AB2020:
????????
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

staffers/security can actually be nice! make lots of friends on Security staff

eat dumb ass your going to be sad if you don't.

that being said, don't spend 20$ in cash on food if you can avoid it. (always use your card if when ordering food)

bring plenty of money on Sunday afternoon. You never know what you'll want when you find it.

don't forget your debit card.

DO GET IN CONCERT LINES EARLY (even if you have tickets it'll guarrentee you a front row seat)

move out of the way quickly during on chore after the consert, or leave if you know there will be one.

bring a water bottle. you will not regret that (fill it up as much as possible)
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Rabblt
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Rabblt »

Get more than 2 hours of sleep next time. Lightheadedness and being dizzy for the first half of Saturday reaaally isn't worth it.

Use a good backpack. Mine was great in that it was very spacious, but...a little too spacious. I kept thinking I'd lost things because it's so big in there! I felt like Mary Poppins.
♥Attending since 2010♥
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Ghost320 wrote:Get more than 2 hours of sleep next time. Lightheadedness and being dizzy for the first half of Saturday reaaally isn't worth it.

Use a good backpack. Mine was great in that it was very spacious, but...a little too spacious. I kept thinking I'd lost things because it's so big in there! I felt like Mary Poppins.
it also sounds like you didn't eat much during the con. That's what happens to me when I don't eat. ALWAYS EAT no matter how much it cost...

actually they're cool with bringing water bottles inside.
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Rabblt

Post by Rabblt »

Spirit_Girl01 wrote:
Ghost320 wrote:Get more than 2 hours of sleep next time. Lightheadedness and being dizzy for the first half of Saturday reaaally isn't worth it.

it also sounds like you didn't eat much during the con. That's what happens to me when I don't eat. ALWAYS EAT no matter how much it cost...

actually they're cool with bringing water bottles inside.

You're probably right since I don't remember eating all that much >.< I made sure to keep drinks with me at all times, though :) Definitely no sleep and no food makes Jack a dull boy LOL

Next time I'll be sure to keep lil snacks inside D:
♥Attending since 2010♥
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Take along a very clever wife :D who packs a bunch of (relatively) healthy snacks, much of which can be slipped into a pocket or handbag:
  • Snack-size boxes of raisins and other dried fruits
    Snack bags of almonds
    Ritz crackers in prepackaged, 16-cracker stacks
    V-8 cans (8 oz.)
    Small water bottles you can suck down between the hotel room and the Hynes
We were never hungry or dehydrated, and easily got by with two sit-down meals a day with no loss of energy.
Last edited by Master of NERV on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

AnimeGunner wrote:Use the Boylston Street entrance. It makes life easier.
THIS. THIS. THIS.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
azaznator
Expert Poster

Post by azaznator »

Bring LED sticks for a better concert experience!
Rhys Ifane
AB Alumni

Post by Rhys Ifane »

Mistakes happen. Fake it like a champ.
David Burke
Cosplay Games Staff 2014-2019
Masquerade Staff 2020
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

Lesson Learned - talk to fellow cosplayers on the T ride in the morning
.... you will suddenly become "the adult" who ends up leading the whole group of 'em to the correct Green Line train....

Buy food, and plenty of, Thursday night at Star Market across the street! (exit where California Pizza Kitchen is?)
You wallet & stomach will thank you ooooh so much thru the weekend

Manga Library is awesome go "preview" a series before proceeding to march & buy the whole thing in Dealers

Remember to plug in chargers before bedtime... so sad much of Streetpass lost 'cause 3DS died ;_;
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

don't type in caps if your trying to get your point across? I don't know why or how people think caps are rude go on twitter it's all people seem to be doing now a days. Espessily if you always seem to be missed and or ignored.

watch plenty of anime before you go so your not all "...?" about the stuff your about to see.
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Kayube
Expert Poster

Post by Kayube »

Learn how to use the automated train/subway ticket kiosks so you don't waste money.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

i feel like i have to edit myself more then once. Sticking up for myself is key.
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Song of a Phoenix
Expert Poster

Post by Song of a Phoenix »

Either get industrial strength velcro, or sew on some snaps, because shoulder armor held on with normal velcro and fashion tape is not going to withstand the giant gust of wind when security forces you to go outside and all the way around for some stupid reason.

People will still appreciate your cosplay even if you are falling apart.

Putting time and effort into a cosplay instead of rushing to finish stuff last minute is totally worth it because you will feel really proud of it when people want your picture. Stop procrastinating on every other cosplay you do. Also you probably won't fall apart if you take the time to do it properly.

2016:
Florina (Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword), Jinx (LoL), Nora Valkyrie

2015:
Guy Cecil, Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones), Alice Elliot

2014:
Leila (Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword), Guy Cecil, "Marth" (Fire Emblem: Awakening)

2013:
Flynn Scifo, Trish (Devil May Cry), Garry (Ib)

2012:
Shion (No. 6), Guy Cecil, Tabatha, Tsuzuki Asato

2011:
Guy Cecil, Tabatha (Tales of Symphonia), Tsuzuki Asato
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

AnnaNeko wrote:Lesson Learned - talk to fellow cosplayers on the T ride in the morning
.... you will suddenly become "the adult" who ends up leading the whole group of 'em to the correct Green Line train....
Been there, done that! :lol:
poptarts_n_pixistix
Veteran Poster

Post by poptarts_n_pixistix »

Don't be afraid to meet new people and put yourself out there - You'll never know what you did (or didn't) miss out on!

The wifi in the game room is NOT your friend. Attempt to play MMOs with extreme caution.

Remember to get info on other local cons while you're there (sadly remembered this one on the train ride home...)

...you know, after going for so many years it's actually quite hard to find 'new' lessons, I almost have the whole planning process down to a science!
Last edited by poptarts_n_pixistix on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

Don't lean over the balcony at the Masquerade. Also do not hold your phone over the balcony. There's this amazing thing called 'gravity' and it usually will assist your phone in landing on my head in such a way as to give me a concussion.

There is also this magical phrase called, "I'm sorry!" If you bump into someone, step on a costume, or drop a phone on someone's head, it is an important phrase to use.
Joshua Dauphinais, Anime Boston Hall Cosplay Coordinator 2009-2012.

My Law cosplay brings all the girls to the yard.

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

- It is definitely possible to buy stuff from the Dealer's Room with a modest $150 budget. LOL.

- The Swap Meet is a great place to pick up alot of gently used stuff ^_^

- Doing panels at Anime Boston is awesome.

- Not everyone goes home after Closing Ceremonies XD
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Master of NERV wrote:
AnnaNeko wrote:Lesson Learned - talk to fellow cosplayers on the T ride in the morning
Been there, done that! :lol:
Same here.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Thought I put my lessons learned. Anyway...

1. Make sure you charge your camera's battery every night. Took pictures all day Friday and Saturday, to find out by Saturday mid-afternoon, the battery was too low to take any more pictures. Ended up using my cell phone the rest of the day.

2. Bring a powerstrip just in case.

3. Don't go to the food room across from the dealers room. I found that to be too expensive and ended up going elsewhere. Still spent the same amount of money though but I got more food.
Last edited by Elli21486 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
chibisprite
Experienced Poster

Post by chibisprite »

Ignore the people that comment on your "lovely, wonderful" cosplay, then bash others by saying that their cosplays are worse...and are getting more worse each year. Not only did that person creep me out, I wanted to snap at him about his own cosplay but bit my tongue. I attend AB (as my only/hometown con) to have my fangirl-moment weekend before going back to normal daily life for another year...I don't want to listen to people like that.

Focusing more on Merch than Art this year helped my walls. I'm running out of space for frames, but I've got shelf space left! {Sorry artists, but at least I drop by to admire your lovely works!} ^.^*

Try to remember to ask for Monday off as well if needed...it's been a long week of work/play/workagain with no break. XD
Cosplay List
In Progress - Big Poe (Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time)
Planned - Ursula (Disney's The Little Mermaid), Rosa The Subrosian (Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Seasons)

~Chibi
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

ChibiSprite wrote:Try to remember to ask for Monday off as well if needed...it's been a long week of work/play/workagain with no break. XD
That's been part of my routine every year since '06! 8-)
CoriExodus
AB Alumni

Post by CoriExodus »

~Bring a back up charger..you know..those power blocks..that are portable. Not being one of the people stuck sitting by an outlet is nice. It'll be a well spent 20$.

~Don't be a dumb, get/give your contact info from/to photographers who take photos/film of you.. ; ~ ;

Think that sums up my AB15 lessons.
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

-Leave the drama at home...
-If drama insists on coming to the con, leave drama in the hotel room
-If drama is in the hotel room, avoid the hotel room
-Don't let the drama get you down
-Don't stay in your hotel room, you're at a convention!
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
Soarinwater
Expert Poster

Post by Soarinwater »

I learned for next year
- Don't be afraid to talk to people or ask for pictures - You never know because they might actually want one of you too!
- Remember to bring a charger for your things into the con (Esp. if commuting again)
- To get more cosplays in on any given day try to get a hotel room - Next year
- Again get the courage to do the things you want to do
- If hosting an meet-up, spread the word to people who stop you if they seem interested - And breath - it's going to work out okay!
- Bring speakers if intending to play music at said meet-up
- Buy something if you see it and think you might not have time to grab it later.
[/size]
Alicanth

Post by Alicanth »

1. If you're going to be on stage at any time during the convention, double check that you haven't suddenly and unexpectedly lost a bunch of weight. Otherwise your skirt will fall down at...inopportune times.
2. If you are wearing giant wings, the Back Bay wind WILL try to carry you off.
3. STRESS TEST THE WINGS STRESS TEST THE WINGS STRESS TEST THE WINGS
AB 2015: Spinel Sun (Cardcaptor Sakura)
AB 2014: Erza Scarlet, ver. Robe of Yuen (Fairy Tail)
AB 2013: Erza Scarlet, ver. Standard (Fairy Tail)/Destiny of the Endless (Sandman)
AB 2012: Aradia Megido (Homestuck)
AB 2011: Timeskip Hyuuga Hinata (Naruto)/Yomiko Readman (Read or Die)/Ennis (Baccano!)
AB 2010: Marie Mjolnir (Soul Eater)/Ennis (Baccano!)/Sanji (One Piece)
sontaikle
I'm new!

Post by sontaikle »

Doing what I want is the best way to go about the con. Even if that means going to a panel or workshop alone! I had some great conversations when I went to the panels I wanted 8-)
CoriExodus wrote:~Bring a back up charger..you know..those power blocks..that are portable. Not being one of the people stuck sitting by an outlet is nice. It'll be a well spent 20$.
I never thought I would need one! I got one as a Christmas gift (small one that can charge a phone up once very quickly) and decided to bring it. VERY HANDY. I just bought a bigger one on amazon so I can tote my little tablet around too as this summer I'm hitting up a lot of cons.

I never needed an outlet at AB. I used my phone to my heart's content and by the late evening when I was down to ~20% I plugged it into my battery and was up to 100% very quickly. That would more than hold me over until I got back to my hotel.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

RapaxGuardian wrote:-Leave the drama at home...
-If drama insists on coming to the con, leave drama in the hotel room
-If drama is in the hotel room, avoid the hotel room
-Don't let the drama get you down
-Don't stay in your hotel room, you're at a convention!
i'm sorry you had drama dear... it sucks when people you go with, who you think will get along with each other won't...I hope you didn't dwell to much on it ._.; because drama during cons suck (Trust me i should know)

always charge your phone the night before! ALWAYS don't give anyone (including yourself) an excuse.

try to meet up with everyone as much as possible (if you can find them) if you can't find them, remember, it's not your fault.

enjoy the convention. you've been waiting since July for this! Don't let teenagers let you down! Don't let line shovers let you down. Don't let anyone let you down. You had fun and that's all that counts!

Remember it's ok to say No to something!
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa »

Master of NERV wrote:
ChibiSprite wrote:Try to remember to ask for Monday off as well if needed...it's been a long week of work/play/workagain with no break. XD
That's been part of my routine every year since '06! 8-)
Seeing as I commute from Vermont, I asked for Tuesday off as well, since driving back home on Monday is hardly restful. Best idea ever. Always schedule a buffer day for yourself to detox!
Amanda Graves
Cosplay Guest Coordinator 2024
Masquerade Assistant Coordinator 2023
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2022
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018 - 2019

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."
Sunset Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Sunset Hero »

1.) Pockets are Zeus' way of saying he loves us.
2.) Don't lose the camera's charger.
3.) If you need yellow shoes, buy yellow shoes.
Cont.) Don't spray paint old shoes. They will only look good for a few minutes before flaking off.
4.) Just because you can sustain yourself on nothing but crackers and applesauce, doesn't mean you should.
5.) Don't fear the contact lenses. They are life. They are love.
6.) One of the biggest points of wearing a cosplay and bringing a camera, is to get photos WITH other cosplayers. Don't be afraid to ask them for a minute of their time.
7.) Don't wonder the convention alone. It sucks out half the fun of the experience, and you don't have a person to take photos for you, so you have to ask a random guy walking by to take the shot instead.
fuyuzora
Expert Poster

Post by fuyuzora »

Wear a mask! I got sick immediately on Sunday morning, and I've been laid up ever since, going from horrible sore throat to ridiculously stuffed nose to wet cough, which I am currently fighting back as I type. If I get to attend in the future, I'm definitely wearing a mask to hopefully keep this from happening again.
「そうですねぇ」
SailorXena251
I'm new!

Post by SailorXena251 »

Friday I carried only my phone and wallet in my pockets but Saturday I had my younger brother and young cousin with me and we were going to be there from early morning until after the masq, so I packed lunch and dinner for the day, it is a good way to save money and avoid unhealthy foods, I only packed two sandwiches per person, juice and fruit snacks.

My tips:
-Plan accordingly so to avoid having to leave the convention area too much if you don't want to wait in line
-Pack a lunch for yourself (and others if you have people with you)
-Keep a water bottle on you, I noticed that they put water stations in most of the rooms which was really wonderful and convenient
-Keep hand sanitizer with you, although you might stay clean all weekend, others do not
-Think last minute cosplay ideas out thoroughly...and test them out!
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

take more pictures: just because you can remember most of the conventions you went to, doesn't mean you should. You'll get a huge headache and maybe almost passout/ie get sick...

i took photos but i made the mistake of trying to do a crossover photoshoot (didn't go over so well on the crossover part since none of us knew what we were doing on the other side)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Mirotic
Veteran Poster

Post by Mirotic »

1. Hot glue does not hold clay pieces together.

2. Don't forget your camera, you'll regret it.

3. Don't forget to take your scissors out of your bag before going into the con. There is a 50% chance you'll never see them again.
I believe if time passes, everything turns into beauty. If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away. Everything starts wearing fresh colors. Every sound begins playing a heartful melody. Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic. Desire is embraced in a dream. But my mind is still in chaos and..
2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021 / 2022
WertPhotography
Experienced Poster

Post by WertPhotography »

My first time at AB:
  • 1. Don't try to drive all the way to your hotel (good chance you'll get lost, more than once)
    2. Park at a subway station and pay for overnight parking there instead of your hotel (subway parking five days = $35 compared to almost $50 per NIGHT at the hotel).
    3. Eat at the grocery store across from your hotel as much as possible (It's sooooo much cheaper and faster than any restaurant).
    4. Take more time when taking photos so there's less editing needed. (It took me two weeks to edit all 1,400+ photos I took).
    5. Actually STOP taking photos and enjoy the convention (as in actually go to some panels you wanted to see).
    6. Wear comfortable shoes.
    7. Batteries, batteries batteries (Walgreens across the street had a sale on AA's).
    8. Pockets
    9. Make sure you have business cards (Mine didn't show up in time).
    10. Make sure you have ENOUGH business cards (They're relatively cheap. I had 500 printed but would have needed A LOT more if I had actually received them in time).
    11. Take off Thursday through Monday from work.
    12. When uploading photos; upload in 100 photo increments instead of all the photos for one day. People are more likely to browse through 100 at a time instead of 500+ at a time, and the photos get posted faster.
    13. Have fun!
    14. actually spend time to see the WHOLE con. I never saw anything in the Sheraton the whole weekend.
chaosharmonic

Post by chaosharmonic »

- Either stock food ahead of time, or plan on cheating all weekend on whatever diet you may otherwise adhere to.
- Spray paint does not adhere to rubber boots.
- Even if it is a mecha theme, you may still be the only Char Aznable cosplayer at the con.
- Learn to sew pockets.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

to the crazy glue (or what ever you used) for me that saved this convention. My yuyos didn't fall apart at all (they were being bitchy during saturday night) but they didn't fall apart

also remember to bring food (if you work at a grocery pre made food....your in boston not Hartford, no one's going to take your food away from you)

for the sizors person, put the sizors in a box (if you need them for back up) that's how we packed them. I may have to do that for the up coming cons if i decide to stick to this cosplay.

practious using your props for the convention. You may think, oh it worked fine in the hotel room, there will be no problems. But you never know when your props will decide to have a mind of their own and be a bitch to the people around you >.>;

edit: bring a cell phone charger if your not staying at the convention. There will always be a two prong plug near by. Your best friend won't always be there for you to kidnap her cell phone charger >.> (had this happen at another con not this one) but still good to know
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

BokuNoMJ

Post by BokuNoMJ »

Biggest lesson learned at AB was entirely my fault

at AB15 I cosplayed kaworu nagisa, now I am a very large-chested woman and binding is always an issue, and if you're squeemish let me just say DO NOT BIND FOR A REALLY LONG TIME BC YOU WILL REGRET IT

I changed into my Kaworu cosplay around 2ish and ended up going back to my hotel room at around 2AM, now my chest binding had gotten a little uncomfortable but it didn't really hurt too much so at the time I wasn't all that concerned. When I was getting out of cosplay back at my hotel I noticed my under-shirt was sticking to my chest, and by the time i got down to my ace bandage it was entirely scabbed to my breasts. It had chafed so much it rubbed off chunks of my skin in certain places. So, in my hotel room bathroom I was trying to stay quiet while peeling off my chest binding while having a minor panic attack because all my friends had already gone to sleep and I didn't want to wake them up. Now, almost 4 months later I still have scars on my breasts and I dont think they'll go away.

be careful while binding.... :oops:
AB16 SCHEDULE

Super Sonico
Saiko Yonebayashi (Tokyo Ghoul:re)
Jasminka Antonenko (Little Witch Academia: Mahou Shikake no Parade)
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Bag Checks lines, especially this year have been unpredictable. Strategize on how to bring belongings with you. I understand some people don't have the option of not bringing a bag with them into the con, but those who do, know that you can make pockets into your cosplay. Or Stuff cards, and money, your phone, chapstick, make-up, and other small items into small belt packs, or in your shoes or whatever convenient compartment you can creatively think of on your person.

Pack food if you can.

Be courteous of stopping and standing in the middle of the halls. People, are constantly on the move. Move out of people's way if you can.

Bring your phone charger with you.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

wooooops, totally meant to reply with quote and not hit the edit comment button hehe :?

anywho, wanted to let you know that you can still save those $2. Having the slip really makes the process faster, no doubt, but if you ever lose the email or slip, you can still give the reg department your name and they'll still be able to pull up your badge :)
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Oh wonderful, great to know! :D
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Post by RayneDeanZ »

As con is approaching, my friends have reminded me of a few more things that I learned.

1. If you are a strict scheduler, loosen up and be able to go eat or shop or just walk around. Don't be bound to the clock.

2. Hotel rooms, when you and friends try to get one as a group, can and will change on the drop of a hat. If one friend has another group offering cheaper prices, they will jump ship, but if you're smart, you will too.

3. If you've never worn your cosplay for more than 10 minutes, you don't know what might happen. Three different parts broke due to stress, but that's not abnormal for me.

4. Don't be the one who'll get the room if you're under 21, unless your parents are willing to get your room for you. Not sure if this one will hit me this year, as I only found out about it recently. Don't risk it if you don't have a back up.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:

Anime Boston 2018:

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:

AB 2023:
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

madman1502 wrote:
4. Don't be the one who'll get the room if you're under 21, unless your parents are willing to get your room for you. Not sure if this one will hit me this year, as I only found out about it recently. Don't risk it if you don't have a back up.
I could be wrong, but if you're under 18 and don't have a drivers lisense you can't book a room yourself, you HAVE to have a willing adult do it for you and be there at the time of check in and check out even if they're not in the room themselves. i could be wrong about this, (Because i haven't been under age in a while) but it seems logical to me ._.;
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Post by RayneDeanZ »

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:
madman1502 wrote:
I could be wrong, but if you're under 18 and don't have a drivers lisense you can't book a room yourself, you HAVE to have a willing adult do it for you and be there at the time of check in and check out even if they're not in the room themselves. i could be wrong about this, (Because i haven't been under age in a while) but it seems logical to me ._.;
This rule was mostly for people between 18 and 20.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:

Anime Boston 2018:

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:

AB 2023: