Regarding Our 18+ Government Issued ID Policy

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
danim
AB Alumni

Post by danim »

We got our license in the same year, her 6 months before me (since she is 6 months older than I am :D) but mine expires in 2011 and hers in 2010. It could just be a dmv error (since I know they make plenty) but I'll let her know. That way she'll know to find a way to keep her old one when they renew it for her. Thanks!
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

Ah well, the difference in Birthdays could be the reason.

Nevertheless, if she gets her new license now, it's VERY likely the new plastic card will arrive in time. They say 30 days, but I remember getting my Liquor ID much sooner back in 2008.
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=Eilonnwy]Nevertheless, if she gets her new license now, it's VERY likely the new plastic card will arrive in time. They say 30 days, but I remember getting my Liquor ID much sooner back in 2008.[/quote]
Yeah, I just renewed my license (in person) on Friday and have the paper temporary one now. I was told by the RMV person in Watertown that the new license would arrive in the mail "in 7 to 10 days".
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
BDragonD24
Committed Poster

Post by BDragonD24 »

Is MA the only state that does the paper ID? I know down here you walk out with your permanent ID when you go to the DMV.
aznmedic
AB Alumni

Post by aznmedic »

They don't have the plastic card makers at the RMV locations. There is a central printing place that does all the plastic cards. Yeah it kinda sucks.
Cowboy
Veteran Poster

Post by Cowboy »

[quote]They don't have the plastic card makers at the RMV locations[/quote]

I am shocked. Seems like that is highly inefficient and a waste of money going with third party contractors.

Now I am curious. Our temp driver licences in New Hampshire are the thin paper plastic type with black ink. This is done to reduce costs and increase efficiency by making a temp ID that is easily made on the spot.

Would these be accepted? They are legal forms of ID in New Hampshire. Things might be different in MA.
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

New York also gives you a temporary paper ID until your permanent one arrives in the mail.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

[quote=Cowboy][quote]They don't have the plastic card makers at the RMV locations[/quote]

I am shocked. Seems like that is highly inefficient and a waste of money going with third party contractors.

Now I am curious. Our temp driver licences in New Hampshire are the thin paper plastic type with black ink. This is done to reduce costs and increase efficiency by making a temp ID that is easily made on the spot.

Would these be accepted? They are legal forms of ID in New Hampshire. Things might be different in MA.[/quote]
The paper temporary lisences in MA (and the permits) explicitly say "not a valid form of ID" on them. I'd assume that since the NH ones do not say that, they are valid forms of ID from the state's POV (as well as other states vis-a-vis Article 4 section 2 of the US Constitution). As to how the con sees it, I cannot answer.

They're usually not that bad about getting your real one to you. The ink they use on the temporary ones can ruin a wallet if it gets too warm though.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

If they are legal forms of ID in NH, then we will accept them. The MA paper badges specifically say they aren't.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Man, glad I live in CT. This whole paper ID thing sounds like a real headache. Granted it takes a while sometimes, but I'd rather leave with a plastic one then deal with this paper one everyone is talking about. >.< My only gripe about the DMV's in Connecticut is the organization or lack thereof.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

I used to work in an RMV Admin office (where traffic tickets go) and man, I agree, the disorganization is terrible.

Nevertheless, we must abide the law, and if it says "Not a valid ID" on it, then we won't take it. The only exception, as stated above, is if it's paired with an expired license/ID
ArielLisha
I'm new!

Post by ArielLisha »

[color:purple]I really do not understand who to ask or where to ask this but my question is based on this. I bought a friend a ticket and I have the receipt but she wont be able to pick up her badge. I was wondering if it were in ANYWAY possible for me to pick it up for her? What if I brought her ID? [/color]
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

Your friend must pick up her own badge with a photo ID. We do not let other people pick up someone else's badge unless it's a parent/guardian picking up for a minor.
liseyatthedisco
Veteran Poster

Post by liseyatthedisco »

Can I just say that although I know you are legally bound, this is complete crap.
It's like youre punishing people who don't have liscenses. I realize it say 'not valid ID' on it, but I had to go through hell to get that 'not valid' piece of paper, showing a birth certificate and legal mail and whatnot. If I'm 18 IM 18! I have a birth certificate, I even have a proxy form my doctor gave me! Im an adult! I would have gone and gotten a Mass ID if I had KNOWN about this little rule before today, but since this is the first I'm hearing of it, maybe you should make these rules a little more obvious next time so that people like me don't have to go through the SEVERE DISSAPOINTMENT we're going through right now. Now my friend and I can't do half the things we anticipated, this being our first con as 18 year olds.
windibro.tumblr.com

2009: Zoey (L4D)
2010: Heather (SH3)
2011: Draco (AVPM) Gaz (IZ) Ellis (L4D2)
2012: Viscount Druitt
2013: ZillyWave, Dog Tier Jade, Black Rat
2014:Yang Xiao Long, Genocider Syo, Misty Day
2015: Newt Geiszler, Tooru Mutsuki
2016: Daisya Barry
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

If you were so excited to go to a con as 18 year olds you should have made sure you know the rules.

The rule is not complete crap, it's the law. As in, if someone underage gets into an 18+ event and we get caught, we're liable. If you want to complain, complain about the law. We are merely following it.

It's no big secret that for 18+ events at any place you go to, you need to actually prove your age with a legal ID, including other conventions like ours.

Now, locking since this topic has been beaten to death here and elsewhere anyway.

18+ events, government ID, no exceptions.