Coat Check/Luggage Storage Questions

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Coat Check/Luggage Storage Questions

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Hi again, I have a few questions. First is about coat check. I am guessing there will be one at the con again this year, and if so, how long is it usually open each day of the con? Also, how much is it per item? Also, is it located in the Hynes or before you enter the Hynes?

Also, I am wondering, I know on the Sunday of the con, they have one of the ballrooms open so attendees can store their luggage after they check out of their hotel rooms until they leave. My question is, I am not staying at the Sheraton, I am staying at another hotel. Is that luggage storage area only for attendees who stay at the Sheraton, or would I be able to store my luggage there, too?

Thank you in advance. :) :)
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Re: Coat Check/Luggage Storage Questions

Post by Nemra »

Kusuguru Usagi wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:59 pm Hi again, I have a few questions. First is about coat check. I am guessing there will be one at the con again this year, and if so, how long is it usually open each day of the con? Also, how much is it per item? Also, is it located in the Hynes or before you enter the Hynes?

Also, I am wondering, I know on the Sunday of the con, they have one of the ballrooms open so attendees can store their luggage after they check out of their hotel rooms until they leave. My question is, I am not staying at the Sheraton, I am staying at another hotel. Is that luggage storage area only for attendees who stay at the Sheraton, or would I be able to store my luggage there, too?

I dont know of the times it's open yet but I can answer the rest of your questions!

Price will be $2/bag. It'll be right across from the Dealer's Room entrance so you will be passing into the Hynes first. Hotels usually have a luggage holding area of their own for their customers so I recommend asking them first
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Nemra wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:10 pm
I dont know of the times it's open yet but I can answer the rest of your questions!

Price will be $2/bag. It'll be right across from the Dealer's Room entrance so you will be passing into the Hynes first. Hotels usually have a luggage holding area of their own for their customers so I recommend asking them first

Ahhh, yes, I know exactly where you are talking about where the coat check will be located. I didn't need to use it last year, but I had used it a few years prior, so I wasn't sure if the location might've changed since then.

And, I will do as you suggested about asking the hotel RE luggage storage.

Thank you for answering my questions for me, Nemra, and I shall await to find out the hours when the time comes. :D :D
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

Kusuguru Usagi wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:59 pm Hi again, I have a few questions. First is about coat check. I am guessing there will be one at the con again this year, and if so, how long is it usually open each day of the con? Also, how much is it per item? Also, is it located in the Hynes or before you enter the Hynes?

Will there be better barriers this year for Con-coat check? I remember last years and I believe there were only super simple straps around the outside of coat-check. Will there be Walls? I didn't feel comfortable leaving my nice coat with coat-check (in the con) because any AB attendee can just jump into that area easily and take a coat or other possessions. (Not that all AB Attendee's steal things....but there are those questionable characters)
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
Lamron
AB Staff

Post by Lamron »

Kusuguru Usagi wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:38 pm
Hotels usually have a luggage holding area of their own for their customers so I recommend asking them first
And, I will do as you suggested about asking the hotel RE luggage storage.

Thank you for answering my questions for me, Nemra, and I shall await to find out the hours when the time comes. :D :D
At the hotel you are staying at, when you are ready to leave, call for the bellman/bell service. Someone will come up with a luggage cart and give you a ticket for your bag(s). Tip is $1 or $2 a bag (depending on how big/heavy) They will take your bag(s) and hold them until you come back. Just go to the bellman desk and give them your ticket. Then you'll be all set.
Ray DeArville

Event photo staff 2022 - 2024

Event photo staff 2020 - 2021

Past ABs 05 - 10, 13 - 19
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

OK, so it appears that I probably wouldn't be able to leave my suitcase in the ballroom/luggage storage area that Sunday at the Sheraton, as I'm not staying at that hotel? Or, will the convention center have arrangements for attendees to check suitcases on that last day (for those who aren't staying at the hotel)? I wanted to double check, as I just want to make sure things will be as easy for me as possible, as I have a physical disability.

After I am through with seeing everything I want to see that Sunday, I'll be heading over to Back Bay Station to head home, and I would take a quick taxi ride over to the station, even though the walk isn't that far. The hotel I'm staying at is not in close proximity to the Sheraton/Back Bay Station. On the Fri. and Sat. of the con, I will be taking the T back and forth to the convention center & the hotel I'm staying at. On that Sun., if I'm able to check my luggage at the Sheraton luggage storage area or one that the convention center has, I'll take a taxi over there in the AM. If I'm not able to do this, it means I would have to go back to my hotel to get my suitcase before heading over to the train station when I'm all through.

Please note, I've been attending AB since 2003, and this is the first time I won't be staying at the Sheraton.

Thank you, I will wait for a response so I may plan accordingly.
Lamron
AB Staff

Post by Lamron »

Kusuguru Usagi wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:51 am OK, so it appears that I probably wouldn't be able to leave my suitcase in the ballroom/luggage storage area that Sunday at the Sheraton, as I'm not staying at that hotel? Or, will the convention center have arrangements for attendees to check suitcases on that last day (for those who aren't staying at the hotel)? I wanted to double check, as I just want to make sure things will be as easy for me as possible, as I have a physical disability.

After I am through with seeing everything I want to see that Sunday, I'll be heading over to Back Bay Station to head home, and I would take a quick taxi ride over to the station, even though the walk isn't that far. The hotel I'm staying at is not in close proximity to the Sheraton/Back Bay Station. On the Fri. and Sat. of the con, I will be taking the T back and forth to the convention center & the hotel I'm staying at. On that Sun., if I'm able to check my luggage at the Sheraton luggage storage area or one that the convention center has, I'll take a taxi over there in the AM. If I'm not able to do this, it means I would have to go back to my hotel to get my suitcase before heading over to the train station when I'm all through.

Please note, I've been attending AB since 2003, and this is the first time I won't be staying at the Sheraton.

Thank you, I will wait for a response so I may plan accordingly.
I don't know anything about a ballroom luggage storage room on Sunday, but you can store your bag at the regular coat/bag check area.
Ray DeArville

Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Lamron wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:31 pmI don't know anything about a ballroom luggage storage room on Sunday, but you can store your bag at the regular coat/bag check area.
Oh, excellent, that is great to know that I'll be able to do that. Thank you so much!! :) :)
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

Kusuguru Usagi wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:03 am
Lamron wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:31 pmI don't know anything about a ballroom luggage storage room on Sunday, but you can store your bag at the regular coat/bag check area.
Oh, excellent, that is great to know that I'll be able to do that. Thank you so much!! :) :)
Fair warning, you can utilize the Coat/Bag check in the Hynes, however that will be available *AFTER* the security screenings. Please keep that in mind if you are going to try and store luggage inside the Hynes!
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Lamron
AB Staff

Post by Lamron »

Aidan2 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:52 pm
Kusuguru Usagi wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:03 am
Fair warning, you can utilize the Coat/Bag check in the Hynes, however that will be available *AFTER* the security screenings. Please keep that in mind if you are going to try and store luggage inside the Hynes!
Good point. I would also add, that a lot of people will more than likely be using the coat check and there is limited space. So I would get there early.
Ray DeArville

Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Thank you both for the tips, Aidan and Lamron, I will definitely keep that in mind.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

...They do allow you to get things out of your bag or put things in your bag while it's being stored but as a courtesy, try to avoid requesting this when they're super busy.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Aurabolt wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 am ...They do allow you to get things out of your bag or put things in your bag while it's being stored but as a courtesy, try to avoid requesting this when they're super busy.
I definitely would be sure to not do that sort of thing. I'll be so busy attending panels, etc. that I wouldn't think about my coat, suitcase, etc. until it was time for me to leave. :D :D
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Yeah, most don't until they're ready to leave for the day. My comments were mainly for those who might make several or large purchases in the Dealer's Room or Artists' Alley (or outside the Hynes) but don't want to carry everything around until the end of the day.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Aurabolt wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:27 am Yeah, most don't until they're ready to leave for the day. My comments were mainly for those who might make several or large purchases in the Dealer's Room or Artists' Alley (or outside the Hynes) but don't want to carry everything around until the end of the day.
That's a very good point--I didn't think of that until you mentioned it. :) :)