One of my friends think the cosplay games are rigged?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Fangreaper
Expert Poster

One of my friends think the cosplay games are rigged?

Post by Fangreaper »

So one of my long time gal pals has been trying to enter the cosplay games at AB for the past few years and she's been turned down every year. Now she seems to think the games are rigged and they only pick the same people every year is this true or just a rumor I've heard floating around the con?
B-kun is better than A-chan change my mind...

If you got one of my business cards at the con please hit me up on etsy! The Daft Hatter Crafting is open for business and my first sale will get a very cool gift!
Rosedust
Getting the hang of this...

Re: One of my friends think the cosplay games are rigged?

Post by Rosedust »

If that were true I would have never been accepted since I had never applied before.
2019:
๐‘…๐’ถ๐“‹๐‘’๐“ƒ (๐‘…๐’ฒ๐ต๐’ด), ๐’ช๐’น๐’ถ ๐’ฉ๐‘œ๐’ท๐“Š๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐‘”๐’ถ (๐น๐’ถ๐“‰๐‘’/๐’ข๐’ช)

๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ฟ๐“ฒ๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ผ ๐“จ๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ผ:
'06, '07, '09, '10, '13, '17, '18
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

having been in couple games at diff years can confirm there are new people in them all the time!!

.... your friend sounds a bit too salty there. Maybe her particular cosplay just wasn't the character they were looking for, no conspiracies just bad luck
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
tehscribbles
AB Staff

Post by tehscribbles »

Greetings! I'm here to clear up this rumor for you. Let me introduce myself, I'm Kate-lyn, the Assistant Director of Programming and Panel Programming Manager. As of right now, Andy (The Director of Programming) and myself have been acting as the cosplay coordinators for this year. We have been sitting in on these meetings to help the team out and I can help give some insight to this process for you.

The Cosplay Games department choose participants based on these criteria; script, theme, pictures, and improv/theater skills. I can confirm that the staff are very dedicated to their script as they have put many hours into making sure attendees will enjoy the show. So picking cosplays that fit the script and theme have a big impact on the selection process for each game. For pictures the staff need to be able to see the cosplay front and back to get a better visual understanding of the costume. Lastly Improv skills are important for some cosplay games but not all. While the Dating Game need really good improv skills, other cosplay games such as the Death Match may not need this criteria as heavily.

The staff does their best on including new and old participates in the cosplay games that fit the criteria that has been given to them. If you didn't make it in this year I'd highly suggest checking out a new panel this year called ' Upping Your Cosplay Games Game' where it's a round table to ask the staff how the process works and discussions on submitting applications.

I hope this helps clear up any rumors, please feel free to ask any questions! You can also submit question to Cosplay games via the contact page.
Kate-lyn Skribiski Gingerich (Scribbles)
Programming Logistics Coordinator