Photo ID for Teens

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Katsumom
I'm new!

Photo ID for Teens

Post by Katsumom »

I am taking several teens to the con and it says photo ID is required. The problem is they don't have them. What should I do? :?:
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Re: Photo ID for Teens

Post by waynoinsano »

If you are under 18, you may present any ID that reasonably establishes your identity. School ID with name and photo, a credit card in your name, or a copy of your birth certificate or Social Security card are fine. Since we cannot be familiar with the form of every single school ID out there, we do reserve the right to reject school ID if it seems suspect. We also don't recommend carrying the original of your birth certificate around.
If you are under 18, you may also have a parent or guardian (not just a friend over 18) present their government ID and vouch for your identity.

You could also have them check with their local city hall about general govt id which some places have.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

that answer is not entirely true

To pick up a badge you need a valid photo ID. That means whatever form of ID you're going to show must contain a picture and name, not just a name (so credit cards, etc are not valid). A school ID that contains their photo and name will work as will any other form of ID like a library card so long as it contains both, photo and name.

The only time a government issued ID is required would be for attending 18+ events and that is checked at the entrance of that room, not at registration.

Here is the policy as stated on our website (10)
A valid photo ID is required for pre-registration badge pickup. Minors without a photo ID may pick up their badges when accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with a valid photo ID. Any type of photo ID may be used for badge pickup; however, a government-issued ID is required for 18+ events.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Nemra wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:40 am that answer is not entirely true
I just copy pasted what was in your Faq might need an update
Chrom
AB Staff

Post by Chrom »

Worst case scenario, bring some items of identification to customer service. Most school ID cards have name and photo, but since that's not always the case, sometimes things can be verified through the long arduous process of customer service.

I will say this much, last year I saw several credit cards/debit cards with a person's face on them. I assume from certain credit unions. Those ended up being acceptable, if I recall correctly, alongside one other form of identification.
Alcor Converse
Assistant Director of Registration AB 2020, 2021
Registration Customer Service Manager AB 2019
Customer Service Assistant Manager AB 2018
Registration Staff AB 2017

☆☆☆