Question for security staff, or anyone that can answer

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Fireburned
I'm new!

Question for security staff, or anyone that can answer

Post by Fireburned »

This is a question for anyone that will be with security, or anyone that can DEFINITELY answer this question.
Going as the Raider from For Honor, and i am currently crafting his dane axe out of cheap wood from home depot, im going to be sawing, sanding, and painting this thing so it looks really good. My question here is, what are the chances that this wont be allowing in through security? i would be putting in a lot of effort into this thing, and i would never swing it at someone.
Everything on the axe will be made of cheap wood, even the axe head.
-Fireburned

This is the axe + character https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/for ... 0917031023
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Re: Question for security staff, or anyone that can answer

Post by Nemra »

We can't pre approve or comment on props until they're at con in the hands of security for inspection.

Ask yourself this as a guideline instead - If your prop hits a person, what will break first? person or prop?
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Fireburned
I'm new!

Post by Fireburned »

The pole would definitley break from swinging it at anything, the axe head is made out of cheap wood, if they try to deny it can i bring up these points or is that a no go?
Nenya
AB Executive

Post by Nenya »

Because it's their building, Hynes Security does have the final say on props. If your prop is denied, Hynes Security will hold on to it for you and you can pick it up when you leave the building.
Kristen Leiding
Director of Guest Relations
Anime Boston 2024
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Nenya wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 pm Because it's their building, Hynes Security does have the final say on props. If your prop is denied, Hynes Security will hold on to it for you and you can pick it up when you leave the building.
Hopefully. I remember during AB 2016 seeing a Hynes worker dumping a huge box of prop weapons into the trash.

As then, I suggest again to AB staff: a printout of the prop rules at every security point and the weapons check so that everyone working those areas over the course of the con is following the same rules and not just what they think should be done.
Fangreaper
Expert Poster

Post by Fangreaper »

Nenya wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 pm
Hopefully. I remember during AB 2016 seeing a Hynes worker dumping a huge box of prop weapons into the trash.
[/quote]

When did you see this? I feel like those were props people left behind and never came back for
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 00-331.png

A ring, a ring o' roses,
A pocket full o’posies-
Atishoo atishoo we all fall down
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Fangreaper wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:02 pm
Nenya wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 pm
When did you see this? I feel like those were props people left behind and never came back for
[/quote]

It was during the Saturday afternoon. I had just come through security at the Boylston St entrance and a Hynes worker was dumping a huge box of prop weapons into their skiff. He was at the top of the stairs next to the elevator.

Also, do note that I saw it back at AB 2016. 2017 seemed to have its act together better, security wise. Hoping 2018 continues that trend, and does not revert to the different groups handling Prop Check not following the same set of rules.