2018 Hotel Info

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

2018 Hotel Info

Post by Kalyoth »

I'm curious when this might start becoming available. I know we have passed similar dates from last couple years in November when it started becoming available in dribs & drabs. Just curious ^^ Thanks.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
Nenya
AB Executive

Re: 2018 Hotel Info

Post by Nenya »

The page should go live in mid-December. Sorry for the delay!
Kristen Leiding
Director of Guest Relations
Anime Boston 2024
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Is December the time everyone starts booking their hotels?
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Nenya
AB Executive

Post by Nenya »

Nenie wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:59 am Is December the time everyone starts booking their hotels?
For Anime Boston 2018, yes.
Kristen Leiding
Director of Guest Relations
Anime Boston 2024
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Welp, I'm hopping to it!
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Neria_Elm
I'm new!

Post by Neria_Elm »

Any update on this now that it’s mid-December?
Does the delay have anything to do with rumors that the Sheraton was already fully booked by last AB?
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Neria_Elm wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:47 pm Any update on this now that it’s mid-December?
Does the delay have anything to do with rumors that the Sheraton was already fully booked by last AB?
We are working with our hotel partners to get the hotel signups up as fast as possible.

The reason for the delay is much less exciting than any rumors. Our hotel booking partners are putting together a new system to manage hotel reservations, and they're working with all of our hotels to do this. As it's a new system they're ironing out technical issues before it goes public, which is causing some delays. More than they initially expected it to, unfortunately.

Aside from the technical issues, with coordinating between several hotels to do this, they have to work to fit everyone's schedules. And it being the holidays, people are regularly out on vacation.

I know that's not as exciting as fantastic rumors about the Sheraton being booked already (I don't even know how that became a thing?). But it's the truth.

We'll have an updated estimate on the hotel bookings as soon as we can. Thanks for understanding!
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Thanks for the update :D

Loads of us, especially in the holidays, are antsy to complete preparations as the world in many cases requires advanced notice & the shorter the window, usually the less likely some people are able to take the time off to attend or plan with. Heck, my sister needs to submit to work 4 months in advance or its a no go. So she is already out sadly for next year.

Hope the new system allows for reservations timed to pre-reg in the future - a 2 for 1 deal is the American way these days ;)
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Im as OCD about having my ducks in a row as the next guy, but unless you're taking a position of "if it isn't less than $X, I'm not going" there's no real need to wait on hotel rooms to pre reg. It's not like they're going to magically all fill up and you won't have anywhere to stay. There are tons of hotels in Boston.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Neria_Elm
I'm new!

Post by Neria_Elm »

Thank you for the update! It’s very relieving to know those rumors are dumbfounded!

Bashar- some people, due to disability or other factors, can’t really easily stay at hotels that are far from the con or even a couple minutes walk from it. Honestly even safety getting to an from other hotels are a concern. And on Easter weekend, the hotels in Boston do actually fill up pretty fast. So while that may be a viable option for you, it’s not for others.
Kimtana
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Kimtana »

Yeah, so, about the hotel page...

I saw that it was going to be put up in mid-Dec, but it wasn't. I've been checking every few days because I know it's a busy city and a busy time of year for travel, and rooms fill up FAST. Just checked today, saw the page finally launched 1/4/18. When I sprinted to get a room at the Sheraton, I saw that the reservation for the Traditional room is waitlisted because of a single day--Easter.

I reserved the room anyway, with a message saying that it will notify me if they cannot accommodate, but it's highly probable that they can confirm.

I'm concerned for several reasons.

First, I've been wanting to book a room for the last few months, but the hotel page only just appeared. Missing out on a room because of the hotel page setup and delay doesn't seem fair.
Second, booking at another hotel is difficult because I'm on a cane with difficulty walking and my brother is disabled.
Third, is this going to be an ongoing thing, starting hotel reservations with less than three months until the event?

Did anyone else reserve with a waitlist and get their confirmation? If so, how long did it take?
Kimtana
AB attendee since 2006
Check out my gaming and geekery YouTube channel!
https://tinyurl.com/Kimtana