Con Flu

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
nenie
Determined Poster

Con Flu

Post by nenie »

Did anyone else besides me, get the flu after coming home from the con?

I come home, my body temperature was over 100, I felt nauseous, and very weak. I've been attending AB for 11 years, I've heard that people would get the flu post-con. It's never happened to me before. I've always come out of AB with sore shoulders and feet but never sick. This is a first for me. I'm feeling a lot more better now. I just wanted to know if anyone else got sick. Regardless, I really enjoyed the con this year, so which one of you's got me sick!?
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
icyfox22
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Con Flu

Post by icyfox22 »

Not me, but I know my friend is currently sick with the flu (she was officially diagnosed with it yesterday). Her roommate who also attended the con is sick as well. I can't say I'm really surprised given the weather this past weekend as well as so many people being in such close proximity together. It was bound to happen to some attendees.
Vu
AB Staff

Post by Vu »

I sometimes get hit hard after Anime Boston, but I did not get sick at all this time around. I think what helped was waking early each morning and going to the fitness center on the 5th floor of the Sheraton. Sweating everything out and taking a hot shower each day seemed to do the job.
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

I was getting sick at cons so frequently that my boss demanded I request Mondays off after cons.

I'm unusually healthy after working this one, even on very little sleep and questionable diet decisions.

Crossing my fingers that my luck holds for my next con adventure, next weekend.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa »

I got it. Not really the flu, but more of a really bad, annoying cold. Returning to work with this has been fun. :cry:
Amanda Graves
Cosplay Guest Coordinator 2024
Masquerade Assistant Coordinator 2023
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2022
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018 - 2019

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

I been havin "con plague" since PAX ... it calms down, then suddenly flares up again
during AB was living on cough drops, but wasn't too bad?
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

Like Vu, though with less actual dedicated 'exercise' time, I've found staying hella hydrated and getting exercise (in the form of walking around way more than usual) usually keeps me feeling okay. My throat was a bit sore and I was a bit allergy/snotty on Monday, but some Benadryl and keeping well hydrated knocked that out quick.

One of my team members did have to basically bail on most of the weekend as she was actually legit sick and weathered the worst of it at home, but none of the rest of us caught it as far as I know.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Thrillho
Expert Poster

Post by Thrillho »

I escaped the con flu!

\o/
Joe aka Gustav
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

con flu is such a nice term compared to con plague :lol:
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Selestyl
Determined Poster

Post by Selestyl »

Better half and I both got annoying colds that seem to have mostly cleared up, thankfully. It felt like we'd swallowed furry rocks for three days, though. And we're both pretty miserable sick people - lots of snuffling, waking each other up at 3 am and whining about feeling like we'd swallowed glass, etc. I had some nausea as well, though I think in both cases it was from being overtired.
2023 Lineup:

Luigi - Luigi’s Mansion
Joker - Persona 5
Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger and Bunny
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

I got the Con Flu last year, I was dying for days. This year I started with "Airborne everyday" on Wednesday, took it every day including Monday. Drink lots of water and ice coffee. So far I have not gotten sick.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

Some call it Con Crud
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

Be the change you want to see! Call it whatever you like! lol
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

I think this year I had poor health from a lack of quality eating on the days approaching the con. Nothing major to report.
coffeecake
Veteran Poster

Post by coffeecake »

Not the flu but I did catch a mild head cold.
Anime Boston 2024:
Forest Minish (Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap)
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

almightycows wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:23 pm Not the flu but I did catch a mild head cold.
I still don't know the difference between the flu and a cold. I feel like dying, take multi spectrum drugs, wait until I feel better.
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

tomthumb wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:20 am
almightycows wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:23 pm Not the flu but I did catch a mild head cold.
I still don't know the difference between the flu and a cold. I feel like dying, take multi spectrum drugs, wait until I feel better.
Colloquially, I'm not sure there is (much) of one. Scientifically, they are caused by different types of viruses (common cold; influenza).
Wikipedia wrote:People with influenza often show similar symptoms as people with a cold, though symptoms are usually more severe in the former.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Not this year. Actually, I rarely do. Then again, I keep my hands clean, eat relatively healthy, and get the proper rest during con. I think it helps. ;)
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

we call it con plauge really, i had it before, like it hurt to breath, but yes, I most likely shouldn't have gone to work after con, i was not feeling to hot (not sure about my tempature) but i got the con cough, and should know better to sit in front of anyone who could cough on me

i also yelled at someone while i was working (my actual job) not to cough on me or make me sick but i think she did anyway because old people are rude i'm just about over it now but this past saturday oh man i wanted to die so badly... ._.; i dono if it was something i ate or just getting over the con "bug" but damn i hate being old
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
martin123
I'm new!

Post by martin123 »

Yes it might be highly contagious even some strains are air born!
subchorionichemorrhagehealth care tips
Kanechan
Expert Poster

Post by Kanechan »

I caught strep throat after the '15 con, so this year I began a regimen of vitamin C in addition to my regular meds. I was lucky not to have caught anything after this year's con, but I did so much walking and standing around in lines that I now have problems with my right knee. Hopefully I can fix it well before next year, or I may need a cane or something to walk around with by then.
Klein bottle for rent; inquire within.
Lamron
AB Staff

Post by Lamron »

FYI - Most of the people that get Con Flu/Plague is from dehydration and/or exhaustion. Both can have the same symptoms as a cold/flu. Which can be prevented easily with fluids and rest. But there are a few that get something worse and with so many people in a small area, unfortunately, there isn't to much you can do. To help prevent a real cold/flu staying hydrated and eating right always help. Although I don't condone the use of over the counter remedies, there are Zpacks and other immune system helpers that can be used also. Just remember that prevention is the best policy.
Ray DeArville

Event photo staff 2022 - 2024

Event photo staff 2020 - 2021

Past ABs 05 - 10, 13 - 19
Cerebral_Boar
AB Alumni

Post by Cerebral_Boar »

I did not get con flu, but in an ironic twist I was sick before the convention had even begun. After Friday afternoon I was generally hyper exhausted until about 10PM Sunday. It was quite the boon the panels to which I was assigned on my night shift were both lively and highly entertaining! Otherwise, I may have had difficulty fulfilling my duties. I was bummed about not being able to do nearly as much as I had hoped, but I'll definitely be back for AB18.
Michael St. Pierre
Anime Boston
Junior Tech Staff 2015-2017
Senior Technical Staff 2018-2019

General Tech Staff 2020-present

"Ain't it funny how it is?
You never miss it 'til it's gone away
And my heart is lying there
And will be 'til my dying day"
Wasted Years by Iron Maiden