Lines vs Weather

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Lines vs Weather

Post by Shiroikami »

So I've been looking at the weather reports for this weekend, and they're predicting snow and freezing temperatures on Friday and Saturday. Those predictions indicate weather that is inhospitable far in excess of the simply cold weather of previous years.

My question, therefore, is this: Should we expect that entry lines to the convention center itself will be routed outside with considerable wait times during peak con hours as they have been in the past? What efforts (if any) are being taken to minimize the exposure of con-goers to what would be unpleasant and unhealthy weather under optimal circumstances, and potentially hazardous conditions for cosplayers?
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Re: Lines vs Weather

Post by THX1139 »

Have you looked at "Entering The Hynes: What you need to know" ?

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=21604#p285272
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.
Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiroikami »

I have, but that thread does not appear to address my concern regarding lines being routed outdoors and around both the convention center and the Prudential during peak hours as they have had to do in past years (mostly because the Pru were being jerks about letting people line up indoors). The measures of having a "bag" and "no bag" lines have not significantly reduced outdoor time in the past, and there are only so many entrances to the Hynes.

I recognize that there is no way to know for certain how well the traffic around each entrance will flow until the actual event, ("No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.") but I do hope that appropriate estimates have been made, and that there are contingencies in place and agreements reached with the necessary entities to prevent area hospitals from seeing a large influx of hypothermia cases...
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter
Thrillho
Expert Poster

Post by Thrillho »

It is my understanding from the line patterns and previous years that you should expect to be routed outside before getting indoors.
Joe aka Gustav
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

At 6:00 pm the weather is not as bad as predicted. Going outside has not been problem. I have been outside several times today. I will start to get colder.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.