Backpack question

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
dadofthebiggestweeb1
Getting the hang of this...

Backpack question

Post by dadofthebiggestweeb1 »

Hello all,

Forgive me if I missed this somewhere else, but what is the backpack policy at the convention? I am bringing my daughters, and I planned on having my backpack so I can bring water and snacks etc. Are backpacks allowed and are drinks and snacks okay?
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Re: Backpack question

Post by waynoinsano »

bags,food,and drinks are ok but security with have to inspect the contents of your backpack/bags
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Be prepared to possiibly empty your bag at the checkpoints. I bring alot of stuff myself and plan to make use of the bag check in the Hynes.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Just a word of advise, start opening the pockets of said backpack prior to reaching the inspection table. It actually helps move the line faster in the long run. I personally will say when you are 4 people away is a good time to start opening as there will be multiple people checking bags.

Also, if you are worried about having to empty you backpack on the table, you may want to put the inner content in clear ziploc bags. It's just a suggestion though.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

Aurabolt wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:02 pm Be prepared to possiibly empty your bag at the checkpoints. I bring alot of stuff myself and plan to make use of the bag check in the Hynes.
it honestly depends which check point you use, I have never ever had to empty any of my bags, water bottles exc, nor did it seem that i even "needed" bag check, the poor cop who inspected AA last year seemed super bored and out of his element, he was like 'book, water bottle, phone,food,' go right in' I ahonestly felt bad for the fella...

and if you have medical stuff in your bag just explain to the staff at ab and the staff at the Hynes when you go tommrow to get your badage (if you plan to do so) and if you plan on going at least one day, just manage to make sure you tell someone in charge...ie security or someone in a blue staff shirt, or have someone get you a blue staff shirt ...I don't know what their policy is for that, but they do have security dogs that check bags and such for "drugs" and if your not comfortable with that, then i suggest you go to the cops and tell them or have a blue shirt tell them for you if you don't feel comfortable

also first aid is always avilable if you need it

uh if i left anything out let me know sorry i rant alot
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Yeah. the cops may be the smallest in number working security but they have the most power. If there is a problem at a security checkpoint, they will not hesitate to step in.

I have a few friends in BPD who confirmed to me yesterday they will be working at AB. Two of 'em did it before and they both said the checkpoints were thought up by the Hynes and their security firm. You gotta keep in mind these security firms the MCCA subcontracts to work large conventions like AB are a mix of rookies, ex-military, ex-cops and so on. Some of 'em act stupid when a real cop is around thinking it means they have a free pass to act like idiots especially those who are ex-military and ex-cop.

Anywho, the two cops I spoke to both said they've told the others to keep an eye the checkpoints and make sure no one's being roughed up or people and those who clearly don't deserve it (disabled, parents with young children, pregnant women, etc.) don't get harassed. So, if you notice an increased presence of real cops this is why. Also, if you think a security guard is crossing the line tell a cop and then tell an AB Staff member in blue. In that order.

Finally: Don't be disrespectful in general. Even if they don't want to be there--and some of them make it obvious--they have families they want to go home to unharmed.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^