Questions about Volunteering

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Questions about Volunteering

Post by Aurabolt »

I was wondering if it's possible to apply to be a volunteer on site if you didn't in advance online. I'm thinking of Volunteering a few hours Friday and Saturday night and figure I ask before AB staff leave for setup in the next 24 hours.

In addition to that, I plan to inquire with a specific vendor who will be in the Dealer's Room (Matt from Comicopia) about Volunteering on Sunday. Would I need to talk to the vendor and as well as the Volunteer Dept or just the Vendor?
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Re: Questions about Volunteering

Post by pulsedemon »

Our show volunteers don't work that way. If you're working for an exhibitor, you're not working for us, unless we have a specific need to send help to an exhibitor (very unlikely). Hope that helps!
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Nope, that doesn't really answer my question >.>;

I'll try asking around on Friday X.X;
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Wasn't sure if you were thinking that our Volunteers team would be sending you to work at an exhibitor's booth. Your message basically sounded like that's what you were thinking, regardless of what you specifically asked. I wanted to clear that up because our Volunteers department shouldn't have anything to do with staffing booths. If you want to see if Comicopia will need an extra pair of hands, you could contact them directly.

Lamron
AB Staff

Post by Lamron »

pulsedemon wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:09 pm Wasn't sure if you were thinking that our Volunteers team would be sending you to work at an exhibitor's booth. Your message basically sounded like that's what you were thinking, regardless of what you specifically asked. I wanted to clear that up because our Volunteers department shouldn't have anything to do with staffing booths. If you want to see if Comicopia will need an extra pair of hands, you could contact them directly.
Not trying to be rude, but he was asking if he can volunteer for a few hours on Friday and Sat for AB or was it to late? The Dealer's room was for Sunday.
Ray DeArville

Event photo staff 2022 - 2024

Event photo staff 2020 - 2021

Past ABs 05 - 10, 13 - 19
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Aurabolt wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:20 pm Would I need to talk to the vendor and as well as the Volunteer Dept or just the Vendor?
Seems conflated to me. I make the distinction carefully. Working for an exhibitor has nothing to do with the Volunteers department.

http://www.animeboston.com/staff/volunteers_faq/#6

It's probably best to contact them via the contact form, linked at that entry on the FAQ as we're this close to the show.

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

pulsedemon wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:51 pm
Working for an exhibitor has nothing to do with the Volunteers department.

It's probably best to contact them via the contact form, linked at that entry on the FAQ as we're this close to the show.
Yeah, this was what I was thinking with my 2nd question from my OP. I'll talk to the vendor when I see them Friday.

My first question was around volinteering at the Con outside that. I'll drop in the Volunteer HQ sometime Friday morning.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

honmeichoco
AB Alumni

Post by honmeichoco »

Hi there!

Seems like your questions were mostly answered; sorry I'm late! If you'd like to volunteer with us, stop by Volunteer HQ in room 103. We are having an orientation meeting for our volunteers on Friday morning at 9:00AM. If you think you can make that, we might be able to squeeze you in a little easier. If not, we'll do our best, but we can't guarantee you'll get to volunteer right away.

Hope that helps!
Jennifer (Jinx) McNeece