Question about convention schedule

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
dadofthebiggestweeb1
Getting the hang of this...

Question about convention schedule

Post by dadofthebiggestweeb1 »

Hello,

I am planning on bringing my 2 daughters to the convention. Forgive me if I have missed this, but I cannot find the schedule for the convention anywhere on the site. I want to look at it so I can determine which day would be the best for us to come, but it keeps saying the schedule for this year isn't up yet. Am I missing something?
Mirotic
Veteran Poster

Re: Question about convention schedule

Post by Mirotic »

[ I am not a staff member]

An admin recently posted that the schedule should be out later this week.
That being said, if you only want to go one day, Sunday is the only day one day badges are offered.
If you instead decide to go Friday or Saturday, you will have to buy a weekend pass.
I believe if time passes, everything turns into beauty. If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away. Everything starts wearing fresh colors. Every sound begins playing a heartful melody. Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic. Desire is embraced in a dream. But my mind is still in chaos and..
2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021 / 2022
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

You haven't missed anything. It's coming along. We're checking things for potential errors and adjusting anything that needs rescheduling.

viewtopic.php?p=284383#p284383

Andrew, our Programming Director, mentioned it should be available by the end of the week.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

May I come into the conversation and suggest downloading an app called Guidebook for Android and iOS. When the schedule becomes available publicly, it will also be on there. It also has the advantage of updating just in case anything gets changed before and during the convention.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Elli21486 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:39 pm It also has the advantage of updating just in case anything gets changed before and during the convention.
and the schedule always, without fail changes during the convention. :)
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

if you have facebook and or twitter (Those are the two i use) fallow Anime Boston for more information on things....they are pretty reliable for keeping us updated

are you guys only going for one day? (that's what it sounds like but it wasn't clear) it also depends on what you want to see as in the bands and such; and if you can wait a bit (waiting stinks for the schedule) it depends really, if your not into crowds, I'd say Friday is the best day for that, but the best cosplays tend to come out on Saturday and that's when the main events begin like the cosplay games and the concerts and the showcases....

I like AB because there's different things different days, if your asking about guest autographs, I learned from experience AB does it a bit differently then most conventions, they have a ticket system, the first 100 people gets a red ticket.....not to mention if you can't make it that day to the first signing, or you want to get something else signed (Todd said i could go to his other Autograph signing on Saturday if i wanted to get something else signed) by a guest you can go to the over lap line and see if you can get a ticket...

pm me if you want to learn more about the convention (From my point of view...i'm no one special but i like to share my experence with people) also bring food money you won't want to be digging into your convention money, no matter how many conventions i go to, this always seems to be an issue for myself....

sorry if i seemed to have been ranting, but i've been going to AB for years now (i started at 2005) and welp it's history....if you want more information, please contact me on facebook @ Helia_Nanashi (i know Boston pretty well too even though I don't live there) i know the back bay pretty well... so yea ^^

hope you have fun, and one more tidbit to know, download guide book on your phone/tablet...it has helped me so much the past few conventions, I'm not sure if they're using it this year because I haven't heard anything about it as of lately but I'm sure it's in the works the staff can keep us updated on that as well....

i have a few more suggestions for you as well, but i don't want to overwhelm you with alot of information ^^

happy convention, and let me know if you want to meet me to show you around the convention....

Helia
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
dadofthebiggestweeb1

Thank you all for the help. My daughters are not really interested in the music acts or the signings or the panels, mostly what they want to see is cosplayers and what stuff is for sale :D

My concern is that if we were to go Sunday that we would miss a lot of that. Going Friday would not be an option. Do you all think Sunday would be okay or will I have to get a weekend pass to just go Saturday?
MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa »

dadofthebiggestweeb1 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:32 am Thank you all for the help. My daughters are not really interested in the music acts or the signings or the panels, mostly what they want to see is cosplayers and what stuff is for sale :D

My concern is that if we were to go Sunday that we would miss a lot of that. Going Friday would not be an option. Do you all think Sunday would be okay or will I have to get a weekend pass to just go Saturday?
Keep in mind that the vending rooms close earlier on Sunday as we have to start packing the con up, but there will still be plenty of cosplayers to see!
Amanda Graves
Cosplay Guest Coordinator 2024
Masquerade Assistant Coordinator 2023
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2022
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018 - 2019

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

dadofthebiggestweeb1 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:32 am Thank you all for the help. My daughters are not really interested in the music acts or the signings or the panels, mostly what they want to see is cosplayers and what stuff is for sale :D

if seeing cosplayers is their main goal definitely choose saturday over sunday. here's why:
1) there are way more people there, as many people go home saturday night. it's not even close, actually. and obviously way more people = way more cosplayers too
2) some of the people who DO stay don't even bother to cosplay even if they had the previous two days. which makes sense: you're there less time anyway and you're probably beat from the last 2 days, and cosplaying can take a lot of effort!
3) even the ones who are hardcore enough to cosplay on sunday often have multiple cosplays planned for saturday (i.e. they go back and change mid day). so if you stay all day saturday you'll see some of the same people in different cosplay!

of course, you will see SOME cosplay should you choose to go sunday; it's still an anime con after all! but i can't stress enough that if your kids are mainly interested in cosplay, saturday is way better than sunday. there's really no comparison

(love your username btw, i laughed)
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
Selestyl
Determined Poster

Post by Selestyl »

Sunday has its cosplay perks (chess, anyone?) but I agree that Saturday is the busiest cosplay day! You're gonna see some awesome stuff no matter when you come. Have a great time!
2023 Lineup:

Luigi - Luigi’s Mansion
Joker - Persona 5
Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger and Bunny
dadofthebiggestweeb1

Thank you all again for your help. Looks like we will be going on Saturday after all. :D :D
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Taking this from the shopping point of view--if your daughters are looking for something specific in the dealer's room, I'd suggest Saturday; if they're more window shoppers that buy on impulse, Sunday might be fine. In short, better stock on Saturday, less crowds (and occasional clearance sales!) on Sunday.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
dadofthebiggestweeb1

One more question; how early can we get in and get our badges on Saturday morning?
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

http://www.animeboston.com/registration ... tes/#hours

If you pre-registered, 8 AM. If not, 9 AM.

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

I would reccommend coming Sunday if you want to get discounts from most of the vendors in the Dealers' Room. As was mentioned before, the Dealer's Room closes early on Sunday (I believe it's 2PM) so folks can pack up for the long trip home.

Something you'll see at some vendors are grab bags on sale for $10, $15, $20 and so on. They contain a couple random items that cost much more combined if bought separately. Sometimes it may prove cost-effective to take a chance a buy a grab bag. Just something to think about ^_^

Pre-Reg ends tomorrow at midnight right? Or is it midnight today?
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
suza
AB Executive

Post by suza »

Aurabolt wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:18 pm Pre-Reg ends tomorrow at midnight right? Or is it midnight today?
Yes, at 11:59PM EST on Friday, March 24.
Elisa Arteche
Anime Boston 2024 Director of Registration
Registration Staff 2008-2023
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

if your looking for cosplayers, and dealers room, and you want to spend most of your time in there then your going to want to go on Saturday...the dealers room tends to open early and close later on Saturday, and lots of cosplayers tend to gather in the dealers room.....Saturday will be pretty packed, but they have not yet put the count down on the website yet, so it shouldn't be as crowed as years passed... so that's a good sign....

oh warning, there's not a lot of places to sit down.... there is a place to sit and eat during the day but it's super expensive, and i'd suggest again you might want to eat in the city instead of the convention center, or in the mall...also you don't have to eat there if you don't want to...you can also just use it as a place to sit down....

if you want to know more, let me know :>
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

ok, so I'm the weirdo who recommends this.... but hear me out

if they just wanna see some cosplayers, Saturday is a good bet for you - by being right outside the convention. By which I mean, inside the mall itself.
Cosplayers will be wandering back and forth all over the place between their hotels & Hynes and the 2 remaining food places etc..,
Your girls can see plenty of cosplayers without needing to be inside Hynes just yet (peak Saturday crowds inside gets very overwhelming). And then if they're still interested & arent tired of people yet, then Sunday you can come back and grab the one-day pass! And hit up the Dealer's Room etc...
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

AnnaNeko wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:57 pm
ok, so I'm the weirdo who recommends this.... but hear me out

if they just wanna see some cosplayers, Saturday is a good bet for you - by being right outside the convention. By which I mean, inside the mall itself.
Cosplayers will be wandering back and forth all over the place between their hotels & Hynes and the 2 remaining food places etc..,
Your girls can see plenty of cosplayers without needing to be inside Hynes just yet (peak Saturday crowds inside gets very overwhelming). And then if they're still interested & arent tired of people yet, then Sunday you can come back and grab the one-day pass! And hit up the Dealer's Room etc...
that's not actually a good idea, i think i remember we got in trouble for just standing around waiting to get inside and such i don't remember why we got yelled at, i just remember someone just like pushing us in a single file line and such that was last year and it seems that we have't reached the opt yet, but i remember someone barking at us for just standing about for some reason .....

also people are a lot more willing to stop and chat, and take pictures in the dealers room...and are ten times more friendly....but that's just my opinion
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

pulsedemon wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm http://www.animeboston.com/registration ... tes/#hours

If you pre-registered, 8 AM. If not, 9 AM.
might want to go as early as you possibly can
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:17 am that's not actually a good idea, i think i remember we got in trouble for just standing around waiting to get inside and such i don't remember why we got yelled at, i just remember someone just like pushing us in a single file line and such that was last year and it seems that we have't reached the opt yet, but i remember someone barking at us for just standing about for some reason .....

also people are a lot more willing to stop and chat, and take pictures in the dealers room...and are ten times more friendly....but that's just my opinion
It's kinda both?
as half my experiences seem to go, "Hynes/The Mall" hates us seems to be a thread in half of mine, so as a cosplayer in the mall - I'd get yelled at for doing nothing more than stopping to retie a shoelace
but when seen as a normal "non-silly adult/regular tourist" whatever? Nobody gives half a thought if I take over the bench exactly by Hynes doors and sit there for hours & taking photos and whatnot (altho last year they seem to have gotten rid of the bench....)

Anyway!! Shout out to the OP - do make sure to check out Artist Alley too!!
I don't know how old your daughters are, but just sayin... fans have been making some amazing plushies that shouldn't be missed!
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

AnnaNeko wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:39 am
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:17 am that's not actually a good idea, i think i remember we got in trouble for just standing around waiting to get inside and such i don't remember why we got yelled at, i just remember someone just like pushing us in a single file line and such that was last year and it seems that we have't reached the opt yet, but i remember someone barking at us for just standing about for some reason .....

It's kinda both?
as half my experiences seem to go, "Hynes/The Mall" hates us seems to be a thread in half of mine, so as a cosplayer in the mall - I'd get yelled at for doing nothing more than stopping to retie a shoelace
but when seen as a normal "non-silly adult/regular tourist" whatever? Nobody gives half a thought if I take over the bench exactly by Hynes doors and sit there for hours & taking photos and whatnot (altho last year they seem to have gotten rid of the bench....)

Anyway!! Shout out to the OP - do make sure to check out Artist Alley too!!
I don't know how old your daughters are, but just sayin... fans have been making some amazing plushies that shouldn't be missed!
bench?! They got rid of the bench by the "Fancy" hotel?! what! it was there every time i went back and fourth last year....and i think i saw you at some point sitting on that bench, but i didn't know it was you...if i had i would have said hello :< or tried not to be sketchy as frack or something like that, i don't know people who meet me online think i'm sketchy at first but i try not to be?

are you talking about the bench next to the snack bar? That's the one i'm talking about that sucks >.>; i never got to sit there, but i know that exact bench your talking about I had to walk back and fourth a lot during last year...stupid Marriott

but word they hate us so much, I was waiting to get into the hynes and some lady comes out of the chapel and crosses herself it's the funniest experience with a normal i've ever had....

the convention center staff just love us though, and the Marriott staff seem to be ok with us, this is my first year back in the Sharaton so i'm a bit paranoid so much so that I might just walk all the way to starbucks in the Marriott just for hahas
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:10 pm the dealers room tends to open early and close later on Saturday
I'm not sure what you mean, but the hours are the same as posted, the same as they've been for many years.

Friday noon-7
Saturday 10-7
Sunday 10-3

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

pulsedemon wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:11 am
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:10 pm the dealers room tends to open early and close later on Saturday
I'm not sure what you mean, but the hours are the same as posted, the same as they've been for many years.

Friday noon-7
Saturday 10-7
Sunday 10-3
silly me, to many conventions in a year ^^; 10:00am is early though at least from what i'm used to
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho