Canes for mobility?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
LadyTuesday
Getting the hang of this...

Canes for mobility?

Post by LadyTuesday »

I know people use canes as props, and no moving parts is required of prop weapons, but what about a can for mobility purposes that has a fold out canvas seat? Will this need to be checked/inspected?

(like a golf spectator seat, but with a handle and for medical reasons)
Last edited by LadyTuesday on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Re: Canes for mobility?

Post by THX1139 »

Over the last two years I have seen a cosplayer with a metal cane with four feet. Hayes Convention Center has been tightening up security. This year they may not let a cane in unless you have a medical need. Or the cane is so weak you could not hurt anyone. In any year if you can hit someone with a prop and hurt someone mostly likely it will not be allowed.

If there is a medical need, wait to hear from AB stuff what the policy is.
Last edited by THX1139 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

tomthumb wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:30 pm This year if you can hit someone with a prop and hurt someone mostly likely it will not be allowed.
That's been the default language used for security questions about props at this convention for over a decade. Nothing about it is a "this year" thing.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

It's a convenient shorthand that doesn't replace or obviate an actual inspection by a human.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
LadyTuesday
Getting the hang of this...

Post by LadyTuesday »

I'm just really nervous about bringing it and being turned away at the door, as going all the way back to the hotel and back to con and waiting in line again kinda goes against the reason why I have one. :/ :(
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

If you need it, then definitely bring it!

Someone will look at it for sure.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
glimmer94
I'm new!

Post by glimmer94 »

I've used a walker at big events before so I don't imagine it will be a problem, just check it with security when you get there. I've found Anime Boston is extremely accommodating for those of us with disabilities :)
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

If Hynes security has any issue with your mobility assistance device, please come to Accessibility Services in the Registration Room. They will get any confusions ironed out and make sure you're good to go.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Here is tale from first AB (2003)
My sister has bad hips. At the con, she was using a staff that she got at King Richard's as a walking stick. AB securing guy went to tag it as a prop, when he realized she was truly using it to walk and stay upright.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

get a disability sticker on your badge when you go pick up your badge...they won't ask questions, and you won't have to show a disabled id...if you have that you shouldn't have any issues with anyone with anything....it helped me out so much last year and i hope to get one again this year, i hope that helped
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Chrom
Experienced Poster

Post by Chrom »

If anyone gives you any trouble, just ask any staff member for assistance and we'll be able to get in touch with Accessibility Services to get everything sorted out as well. We don't want anyone to have a bad time/issues getting around the con, least of all because someone mistakes their cane for a weapon or something!

Seriously, any one of of us will be happy to help you. If we aren't able to do something ourselves in the moment, we can make sure we get someone to you who can so you have the best and most comfortable con you can!

My partner needed a wheelchair last year and despite all the hectic situations (and lack of accessibility service members) the whole team was able to make our experience really smooth.
Alcor Converse
Assistant Director of Registration AB 2020, 2021
Registration Customer Service Manager AB 2019
Customer Service Assistant Manager AB 2018
Registration Staff AB 2017

☆☆☆
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

chrom wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:24 pm If anyone gives you any trouble, just ask any staff member for assistance and we'll be able to get in touch with Accessibility Services to get everything sorted out as well. We don't want anyone to have a bad time/issues getting around the con, least of all because someone mistakes their cane for a weapon or something!

Seriously, any one of of us will be happy to help you. If we aren't able to do something ourselves in the moment, we can make sure we get someone to you who can so you have the best and most comfortable con you can!

My partner needed a wheelchair last year and despite all the hectic situations (and lack of accessibility service members) the whole team was able to make our experience really smooth.
this happened to me at another convention,(they took it away from me) but the previous year they were fine with it, and i was so angry because it took the head of security of the place that it was being held at to help me find it, needless to say i never went back to that con ever again. If they had just kept it in the place they claimed to have had it at in the first place, it wouldn't have been an issue...and at the time, I needed it.

which is why i'm glad AB people understand that there's more to disabilities that meet the "eye" if you catch my drift (Bad pun) but you understand where i'm coming from....

also there's more to disabilities then physical disabilities and you never know if someone has a "physical" one or not....most don't come with gas tanks and wheel chairs, believe it or not, I have an umbrilla in my heart....so i guess you could call me an automation of some kind....

but i wanted to put it out there that not every disability is visible....
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

If MCCA security gives you trouble about your cane, I suggest one of the lines my sister has used at places that tried to take her cane away (she has a few):

"What is your boss's number? My doctor will need to know who to yell at for me being in their office with a broken hip again."
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Fetch wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:59 pm If MCCA security gives you trouble about your cane, I suggest one of the lines my sister has used at places that tried to take her cane away (she has a few):

"What is your boss's number? My doctor will need to know who to yell at for me being in their office with a broken hip again."
next time i have a problem with that i will use it
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

please don't escalate situations as it only leads to bad situations and no one comes out happy. We ask that you instead report it straight away
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR