Anime Boston for Cels?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
fadeshiro
I'm new!

Anime Boston for Cels?

Post by fadeshiro »

Hey, everyone! I'm new here so I apologize if this isn't a good place for these questions.

I've recently gotten into collecting animation cels (both anime and American titles) and the general consensus on the internet seems to be that the best place to buy cels is either eBay or a local anime convention.

I've heard there are cels to be bought at Anime Boston, but how good is the selection? Would it be worth going just for the cels? Or am I better off staying on eBay? And for that matter, is there a list of vendors so I might be able to contact them to see what they have? Also, do the vendors tend to only have anime, or would they have things like The Legend of Zelda or Sonic?

Thanks, everyone!
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Re: Anime Boston for Cels?

Post by pulsedemon »

This primarily depends on who expresses interest in selling and then whether they're quick enough to get in or not. I do try to 'curate' some notifications to make sure we're at least covering some 'essential' bases, so I'll keep this in mind, but I do usually try to make sure there's at least one person specializing in cels (provided someone's actually interested in selling). Sometimes, if events are the same weekend as us, people might go to one show or the other (and not both) and possibly alternate between them year-to-year. It's also possible one show or another on the same weekend might be like a 'backup' plan in case someone doesn't get in to whichever show is closer to their home.

Since cels aren't really used so much anymore, there's only a finite supply (of material from older shows) and that also affects how the 'market' works.

As far as merchandise from stuff like video game licenses go, that's pretty common if there are things that have been produced recently. Like if there's a Zelda Figma toy or something, you'd be more likely to find that than some kind of 30-year old toy. The 'vintage' stuff is a bit more rare, since people tend to charge more for it and then that affects whether someone's actually likely to buy it or not, so it might not make the trip if the expectation is that nobody will buy it. Like don't expect to find a lot of Takatoku Valkyries, but the newer Bandai or Yamato ones would be much more likely to turn up.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!