Hotels

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Hotels

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Is it just me or do the prices for hotels get more and more ridiculous in price every year? The Hilton is $261/night and they're one of the cheaper hotels! I cannot continue to afford these prices. :(

Is there a particular reason for the price hikes? They usually go up a little bit each year, but they seem unusually high for next year. -sigh- Bye, bye money.

PS: Don't even get me STARTED on the PARKING either.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Re: Hotels

Post by Mamacass »

Yeah, I agree with you, GinjaNinja.
(Especially about parking!!! Ugh!!!)
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

I have no insight here, so I'm not going to be helpful. I just wanted to fully disclaim anything first. :P

Next year's show doesn't happen on Easter weekend, so that maybe affects the price.

Also, I can't agree more about parking. When I compare to prices to park in Manhattan, it's even more absurd, since it's way more expensive to park in Boston, a significantly smaller city.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

yea, not being a holiday definitely has something to do with it since the demand is higher. We really aren't lying to everyone when we say things are overall cheaper on Easter. It's a give and take.

On the note of parking though, what some people do is park outside the city at a T stop(like Braintree or Alewife) and then ride the T into the Hynes/Copley/Pru. It'll save you a lot of parking $$$ that way.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

I have a story RE hotel prices: this past June, I attended PortConMaine. When I had called the hotel (the DoubleTree) to book my room, the con rate was available for both the Fri. and Sat. nights of the con, ($139-/night) but it wasn't available for that Thurs. night. They told me they could give me a room at the regular rate of $349- for that Thurs. O_O My jaw dropped, and I was thinking, "What the?!?" To make a long story short, I booked my room for that Fri. and Sat. at the DoubleTree, I politely declined the offer of the room at that regular rate, and I got a room at the nearby Hampton Inn at the con rate for that Thurs.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Kusuguru Usagi wrote:I have a story RE hotel prices: this past June, I attended PortConMaine. When I had called the hotel (the DoubleTree) to book my room, the con rate was available for both the Fri. and Sat. nights of the con, ($139-/night) but it wasn't available for that Thurs. night. They told me they could give me a room at the regular rate of $349- for that Thurs. O_O My jaw dropped, and I was thinking, "What the?!?" To make a long story short, I booked my room for that Fri. and Sat. at the DoubleTree, I politely declined the offer of the room at that regular rate, and I got a room at the nearby Hampton Inn at the con rate for that Thurs.

That happens a surprising amount. I'm actually waitlisted for Thursday night for my room for Otakon for next year. Here's hoping it eventually clears me and I don't have to find somewhere for Thursday separate from where I'm booked for Fri and Sat. I think it's because the room blocks are smaller for Thursday since not everyone comes up the night before.

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Well when looking for rooms this year before AB the total for a 2 double bed room was at a good $430 at the Marriott. That was the total for two nights. Not bad considering the prices were going up everywhere else. I checked that rate back in December and January and then after those rooms were taken by February/March the rates went up for the total costs of $630 something for two nights.
It's good to start early when you're searching for a hotel.
This year we stayed at the colonnade. Which was $600 in total. But I split costs with my group. I usually would go for the cheaper like the Copley House or the Commonwealth House. But these little hotels are also going up in price it seems.
But yes, it looks like the prices have been going up more every year. It sucks, but if you can split costs with a group it makes things easier. The most I want to spend it $400 or less, but it feels like as I've become a working adult over the years the prices go up and I can afford it I guess but I want to save too lol.
Since going to AB since 07-2012, costs for the hotels we've stayed at were $200-like $500 the most. And after those years it's gone up, and this year was the most we've paid. And we've stayed in different hotels. Econo Lodge, Best Western, Marriott, Colonnade, Copley House, and Commonwealth House.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

GinjaNinja wrote:That happens a surprising amount. I'm actually waitlisted for Thursday night for my room for Otakon for next year. Here's hoping it eventually clears me and I don't have to find somewhere for Thursday separate from where I'm booked for Fri and Sat. I think it's because the room blocks are smaller for Thursday since not everyone comes up the night before.
I hope you will be able to get the room for that Thurs. at the hotel you're booked at for that Fri. and Sat. *crosses fingers for you* When I stayed that one night at the Hampton, they had shuttle service to the DoubleTree, and vice versa, so it was all good. *gives thumbs up*

I am curious when the hotel info for AB '17 will be posted on the site?
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Kusuguru Usagi wrote: I am curious when the hotel info for AB '17 will be posted on the site?
The biggest factor of when we put them on the website is the hotels themselves. We do good work in that we send out the link ASAP when all the kinks on the hotel side are worked out. That's why we don't often announce multiple hotel blocks from different hotels all at once, because they each take their own pace with it.

That being said, last year the first hotel (Sheraton) was announced in early Oct, with the Hilton sometime in November. Again the timing isn't really set in stone so the dates might be earlier or later than last year. I like to use them as a reference guide of sorts of when things usually fall in place.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Nemra wrote:The biggest factor of when we put them on the website is the hotels themselves. We do good work in that we send out the link ASAP when all the kinks on the hotel side are worked out. That's why we don't often announce multiple hotel blocks from different hotels all at once, because they each take their own pace with it.

That being said, last year the first hotel (Sheraton) was announced in early Oct, with the Hilton sometime in November. Again the timing isn't really set in stone so the dates might be earlier or later than last year. I like to use them as a reference guide of sorts of when things usually fall in place.
Ahh, I see. :) :) Thank you for the info, I shall keep my eyes peeled for announcements when they come up.
k1koala
Getting the hang of this...

Post by k1koala »

So its almost mid September and still waiting for hotels...but I still don't think we will be able to afford to stay even one night at those prices PLUS the parking :|
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Kusuguru Usagi wrote:
GinjaNinja wrote:That happens a surprising amount. I'm actually waitlisted for Thursday night for my room for Otakon for next year. Here's hoping it eventually clears me and I don't have to find somewhere for Thursday separate from where I'm booked for Fri and Sat. I think it's because the room blocks are smaller for Thursday since not everyone comes up the night before.
I hope you will be able to get the room for that Thurs. at the hotel you're booked at for that Fri. and Sat. *crosses fingers for you* When I stayed that one night at the Hampton, they had shuttle service to the DoubleTree, and vice versa, so it was all good. *gives thumbs up*

It actually cleared today haha!
Also, thanks to the AB staff for your prompt answers. I figured it not being on Easter was a factor in the increase. I look forward to the block releases.

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

GinjaNinja wrote:It actually cleared today haha!
Also, thanks to the AB staff for your prompt answers. I figured it not being on Easter was a factor in the increase. I look forward to the block releases.
So happy to hear it has worked out for you. :) :)
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

I hope the hotels offer a very good deal for the coming con. The standard rates are quite higher than normal at the Hilton - 400ish per night inc. taxes with Sheraton about same....unless u can prepay - I can't wait to see what happens.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Might there be an update on hotel information? I know its "roughly" the time last year as a guideline. Just curious as the turkies are trying to hide before the big meal :D
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Sheraton info will be released either this weekend or the next.

very soon :)
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Without asking for a date when, can it be confirmed or denied if space will be available in a block at either the Marriott or Hilton this year? Just curious.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Kalyoth wrote:Without asking for a date when, can it be confirmed or denied if space will be available in a block at either the Marriott or Hilton this year? Just curious.

Hilton, yes.

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Huzzah! TY!
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn