After March 20, 2016 . . .

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
QQ
Getting the hang of this...

After March 20, 2016 . . .

Post by QQ »

As of March 17, 2016 there are still over 13,000 weekend memberships available. After March 20, 2016 nobody can pre-register. Let's stay there are still 10,000 weekend memberships available after March 20, 2016, would that number be "locked in" until Friday morning when on-site purchase is available?
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Re: After March 20, 2016 . . .

Post by pulsedemon »

Yes. We'll keep count as things happen on site and that number will be updated frequently. We didn't hit the cap last year, but it got close.

Some of us have been working on this show since 2003 and we had to enforce a cap when the fire marshal yelled at us. That then meant we had to turn a bunch of people away. It kinda sucked. We primarily want to make sure we can avoid that kind of situation as much as possible by communicating the important details as they happen.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
QQ
Getting the hang of this...

Post by QQ »

Ok, Pre-registration is over and the number of available weekend passes is now locked at 7798. I know you can't guarantee anything, but if I arrive on the 2nd floor of the Sheraton to buy by weekend pass on Friday afternoon around 2:00pm what do you think my chances are of buying a weekend pass? Maybe you're allowed to post historical data (number of weekend passes available on Friday afternoon at past Anime Boston cons) and I can make my own determination? I could get there at 9:00am Friday, but at great effort and expense. Thanks for any info on this. :)
pulsedemon wrote:Yes. We'll keep count as things happen on site and that number will be updated frequently. We didn't hit the cap last year, but it got close.

Some of us have been working on this show since 2003 and we had to enforce a cap when the fire marshal yelled at us. That then meant we had to turn a bunch of people away. It kinda sucked. We primarily want to make sure we can avoid that kind of situation as much as possible by communicating the important details as they happen.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

QQ wrote:Ok, Pre-registration is over and the number of available weekend passes is now locked at 7798. I know you can't guarantee anything, but if I arrive on the 2nd floor of the Sheraton to buy by weekend pass on Friday afternoon around 2:00pm what do you think my chances are of buying a weekend pass? Maybe you're allowed to post historical data (number of weekend passes available on Friday afternoon at past Anime Boston cons) and I can make my own determination? I could get there at 9:00am Friday, but at great effort and expense. Thanks for any info on this. :)
pulsedemon wrote:Yes. We'll keep count as things happen on site and that number will be updated frequently. We didn't hit the cap last year, but it got close.

As the post you quoted says, the con didn't hit cap last year, so all the historical data says we have never hit cap at the Hynes. Ever. That doesn't really help though. It's impossible to tell if the extra people that preregistered after they heard the word "cap" waved around are new attendees or people who would have normally just waited to register at the door but decided to preregister to be safe.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

It's mostly there to be as clear as possible if we do hit 'cap'. We did in 2003 and had to turn away people that traveled quite a distance, and that kinda sucked. It's mostly so we can avoid that kind of situation since we know it's a bummer.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!