Used my uncle's CC to book hotel, will there be any issues?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Rabblt
Getting the hang of this...

Used my uncle's CC to book hotel, will there be any issues?

Post by Rabblt »

Kind of weird story - some of this might not make sense, but I will do my best to explain...Back in October, my friend and I decided we were going to stay at the Marriott. I pitched in my half, and she gave me hers - I do not have a credit card, and thus was not sure how we planned on getting a hotel. Luckily, my Uncle allows my mother to use his card when booking hotels, so I asked him if my friend and I gave him the money, he would book the hotel for us. No problem.

So the hotel is booked with his card and it is under his name, but he is NOT attending with us. My friend and I are. It's been giving me bad anxiety for months as this is my first time having a hotel *alone*. I am afraid that they will not allow me to check in, nor out, as the room is booked with his information. If he calls and gives confirmation, that I (his niece) will be staying and not him, is that okay? I am 19 years old, and my friend is 20.

I'm just worried that there will be issues checking in. I DO have a debit card (you're probably wondering why I did not use THAT to book the hotel, but my mother really pushed it on me to use my uncle's card.) so if I give them that information, it should be more than enough, or no? If anyone at the Marriott has done something similar can you please let me know to ease my worries?

My uncle is coming up this weekend, and I will ask him to call the hotel and give them a heads up/confirmation to the hotel staff that he will not be staying, but rather, his niece. I would hope there to not be any problems, but I'd like to be reassured. Thank you.
♥Attending since 2010♥
Sayoria
AB Staff

Re: Used my uncle's CC to book hotel, will there be any issues?

Post by Sayoria »

Well, this isn't a staff directed question, so I'll put in my two cents.

If I was you, I'd call the Marriott and let them know far in advance of this. Tell them what is going on. This way, if they can't do anything, you can plan out a second plan between now and the con. Going there, telling them to talk to him and okay it is setting you up for a "Well, it doesn't work that way.... sorry" and next thing you know, you are stuck without a room. Calling them will tell you now if it will or will not work.

IF they say yes, it will work, I would ask for them to put a note in the system saying it is okayed. (I am sure they can do this. I know my job does this with people who book with us.) ... After, I'd probably at least see if they could get a letter out confirming that it was okayed on paper by the hotel themselves so you yourself have something in writing stating that it is fine.

The Marriott is a great hotel. Up until this year, I have been with them and never had an issue. My reason for leaving is I am not going to be paying 299 a night when I can get a room with the Hilton for 220 a night. Seems logical this way. I'll miss the Marriott, but it's a great Hotel. You'll love it and their staff.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Most likely he would have to be there to check you in if the reservation is in his name. The credit card its reserved under is less important because you can change the credit or debit card used at check in.
Also, make sure you account for incidentals charged at check in so the card doesn't decline. Literally happened to me last time I stayed at the Marriott.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa »

Have your uncle call the hotel. I can't speak for the Marriott specifically, but some hotels do a "credit card authorization" procedure for such third-party payments. They usually have to be set up ahead of time, and these have to be done via the credit card holder.

Definitely get all of these kinks worked out before the con. You don't want any surprises at check in! Good luck!
Amanda Graves
Cosplay Guest Coordinator 2024
Masquerade Assistant Coordinator 2023
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2022
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018 - 2019

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."
Best Mom Ever
I'm new!

Post by Best Mom Ever »

You should call the hotel, most hotels you need to be 21 to check in.
Max465
Experienced Poster

Post by Max465 »

Best Mom Ever wrote:You should call the hotel, most hotels you need to be 21 to check in.
It's usually 18 (At least it's been 18 everywhere I've stayed at), unless the hotel has a bar, then it's 21.
aubreyskingdom

Post by aubreyskingdom »

My experience checking in is that they ask for your ID and the credit card. As others have suggested I would have him call the hotel prior. Since it's an event I'm sure the hotel will be understanding, but at the same time they don't want to be held liable if something happens. Good luck!
Rabblt

Post by Rabblt »

Oh, forgot to update everyone on this.

So I ended up asking him to call the hotel and add my name to the list. I went to check in, they asked for a card to put on hold (used my debit), got in no issues no problems at all :) I was just worrying over nothing, thanks all so very much!
♥Attending since 2010♥