prop gun question!

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
natsukoi
Experienced Poster

prop gun question!

Post by natsukoi »

Hey guys! Before I say anything, yes this is about prop guns at the con and yes, I have read the FAQ on the prop weapons policy (I know that you have to weapons and no projectiles, etc.) So for this year, I've made a approximately 3ft prop rifle (doesn't fire anything, and has an orange tip) that comes apart in half so I can carry it into the con (so outsiders don't freak out). I plan on putting it in a bag and carrying it in.. but then I realized it would look kind of fishy to the bag check people?

Do you guys have any advice on how I should handle my prop gun around the con (it looks quite real...)? Anything from con goers to official staff would be a great help! Thanks!!
AB 2012: Fem! Japan (Hetalia)
AB 2013: Sai (Naruto)
AB 2014: Mikasa Ackerman (Shingeki no Kyojin)
AB 2015: Umbreon (Pokemon)
Yui (Sword Art Online)

AB 2016: Caitlyn (League of Legends)
AB 2017: Popstar Vi (League of Legends)
Mumei (Kabaneri)
(maybe) Ranmao (Black Butler)
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Re: prop gun question!

Post by Nemra »

I'm not particularly sure how I feel about people giving advice on how to bypass security checks but it's not a good feeling for several reasons so I'm just going to delete that entire comment.

Anyway, Anime Boston can't and won't comment on props. There are simply too many factors at play that cannot be conveyed until the prop is physically in our possession to see and grasp it fully. That being said, we are not in charge of prop checks. The Hynes security are the ones that do prop checks so anything can or could have said would be a moot point because it's really up to the Hynes discretion.

You should also be well informed on the new gun prop law that went into effect a few months ago.

No matter what happens though, just remember to please be courteous and listen to any demands a police or security officer might make regardless of the fact that you know it's a fake prop. It's a good idea to have it two pieces for the public areas which is good, but there really is no answer to that question because we simply don't handle it.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

Yeah, the topic of prop guns has definitely come up much more frequently this year. We're certainly working with the staff at the facilities to get it figured out and they're working with BPD to get it figured out. It kind of sounds like 'just an orange tip' might not be enough, but it may be more case-by-case.

Don't take what I'm saying as the call. I'm in the Exhibits division, not Operations, and the extent of weapon replicas that I deal with is to tell people to put away Power Ranger garbage and not sell it. It's a shifting situation.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Nemra wrote:I'm not particularly sure how I feel about people giving advice on how to bypass security checks but it's not a good feeling for several reasons so I'm just going to delete that entire comment.

Anyway, Anime Boston can't and won't comment on props. There are simply too many factors at play that cannot be conveyed until the prop is physically in our possession to see and grasp it fully. That being said, we are not in charge of weapon checks. The Hynes security are the ones that do weapon checks so anything can or could have said would be a moot point because it's really up to the Hynes discretion.

You should also be well informed on the new gun prop law that went into effect a few months ago.

No matter what happens though, just remember to please be courteous and listen to any demands a police or security officer might make regardless of the fact that you know it's a fake prop. It's a good idea to have it two pieces for the public areas which is good, but there really is no answer to that question because we simply don't handle it.
From what I recall from last year, BPD handles weapon check now, not Hynes security.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

both do
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

MerchMaven
AB Staff

Post by MerchMaven »

My parents used to travel to go birdwatching, and carried on their optics. A lot of optics (long metal barrels, lenses, unusual linkages) would send the TSA and airport security staff into a tizzy, because it could very easily be seen as anything from a gun to a pipe bomb on an X-ray.

My dad handled it by saying, as he handed it over, "I have my optics in here, it's a spotting scope, three sets of binoculars, etc." This seemed to diffuse things quite well, they knew what to expect, and it still got opened and checked, but we got patted down less often. 8)

If you do follow the plan to carry your prop in a bag, when you're at bag check, it wouldn't hurt to say something like, "I have my prop here, I didn't want to have it out when I wasn't within the con space, so I stowed it. When you're done, can you let me know where the prop checks are being done this year?"

This communicates that you know what you've got looks very realistic and you expect them to look it over. Also, that you're trying to be responsible by not causing a panic in the mall, and you understand the rules of getting it looked over by the prop check table.

Also, I'd recommend against referring to it as a weapons. I understand it's a replica of a weapon, but the word weapon is enough to set people on edge, so remind yourself, and them, it's a prop. It may look very realistic, but it is a harmless set piece.
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
natsukoi
Experienced Poster

Post by natsukoi »

Thank you to everyone who replied to this post!! I was really nervous about bringing my prop to the con but you guys answered my question pretty well. Thanks for the tips and advice!! <3
AB 2012: Fem! Japan (Hetalia)
AB 2013: Sai (Naruto)
AB 2014: Mikasa Ackerman (Shingeki no Kyojin)
AB 2015: Umbreon (Pokemon)
Yui (Sword Art Online)

AB 2016: Caitlyn (League of Legends)
AB 2017: Popstar Vi (League of Legends)
Mumei (Kabaneri)
(maybe) Ranmao (Black Butler)
Darth Cinema
I'm new!

Post by Darth Cinema »

I'm not too worried, as I have a plastic revolver for my Alack Fairy tail cosplay. I've had it screened before and it should work out :)
victorpatrick
Getting the hang of this...

Post by victorpatrick »

Since I have a plastic revolver for my Alack Fairy tail cosplay, I'm not too concerned. It should work out because I've had it screened before.  retro bowl college 
charlottejones
I'm new!

Post by charlottejones »

Is it a real gun? Are there any regulations surrounding them? We'll take a look at each of these questions and lay out the answers.