Is Anime Boston worth it?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Kagami_Hiiragi
Getting the hang of this...

Is Anime Boston worth it?

Post by Kagami_Hiiragi »

Hi guys~! I'm new here, but lived in the Boston area all my life basically.

Is AB worth it? I haven't gone yet, but really wanted opinions from people have gone and maybe experiences they've had! Oh, and if anyone wants to discuss anime let me know.~
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Re: Is Anime Boston worth it?

Post by Mamacass »

Speaking from a "mom" prospective (insert eyeroll here), it is Definately worth it!
The people And cosplays are AMAZING and I look forward to the Masquerade Every year (Roadie!!!)
We, as a family have gone from 2011-2014, and I look forward to going Back in 2016!
Kagami_Hiiragi

Post by Kagami_Hiiragi »

Thanks for the reply Cass! I agree, the cosplays people wear do look awesome. It'd be cool to find local people who like anime since I don't know any local people who do. Myanimelist is my place to dig out my love for the medium!

I'd love to find a Stocking Anarchy cosplay!
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Kagami_Hiiragi wrote:Thanks for the reply Cass! I agree, the cosplays people wear do look awesome. It'd be cool to find local people who like anime since I don't know any local people who do. Myanimelist is my place to dig out my love for the medium!
See the Hometown Anime Fans and Clubs, Colleges, and Other Schools subforums in the Find a Friend forum.
Kagami_Hiiragi

Post by Kagami_Hiiragi »

DocWatson wrote:
Kagami_Hiiragi wrote:Thanks for the reply Cass! I agree, the cosplays people wear do look awesome. It'd be cool to find local people who like anime since I don't know any local people who do. Myanimelist is my place to dig out my love for the medium!
See the Hometown Anime Fans and Clubs, Colleges, and Other Schools subforums in the Find a Friend forum.
That could really help. Thanks~
Ike
I'm new!

Post by Ike »

It's still a "growing" con, but it's already MASSIVE. And for the price it's a very cheap and affordable convention to attend! With a little planning and budgeting you can do it all for less than 300 bucks like I did!
Kagami_Hiiragi

Post by Kagami_Hiiragi »

Ike wrote:It's still a "growing" con, but it's already MASSIVE. And for the price it's a very cheap and affordable convention to attend! With a little planning and budgeting you can do it all for less than 300 bucks like I did!
Sounds cheap! Yeah, def going next year. I can't wait to meet actual anime fans~
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Post by Mamacass »

You will LOVE it!!!!

(but, Always prepare for the "unexpected")
Cerebral_Boar
AB Alumni

Post by Cerebral_Boar »

Before I attended my first con last year I was asking myself the exact same thing. My greatest concern was how badly my aversion to crowds and loud noises would manifest. These fears dissipated as the event drew closer. Before I knew it I was there at the center of it all. While both the sheer scale of the convention and the volume of humanity took me a full day to adjust to, I was never thinking, "Why did I get myself into this?!" While I didn't take nearly as many photos or buy as much as I had hoped, I had an incredible time and made some new friends, the bond with which I will strengthen during the next convention. I also will be giving cosplay my first official attempt. I can't wait!
Michael St. Pierre
Anime Boston
Junior Tech Staff 2015-2017
Senior Technical Staff 2018-2019

General Tech Staff 2020-present

"Ain't it funny how it is?
You never miss it 'til it's gone away
And my heart is lying there
And will be 'til my dying day"
Wasted Years by Iron Maiden
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Post by Mamacass »

I totally agree with you, Cerebral_Boar.
(except in my case, I was worried about peoples reaction to my age *redface*
but everyone was/still are very accepting)
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Kagami_Hiiragi wrote:
DocWatson wrote:
That could really help. Thanks~
You're welcome. :D
KariKessler
Expert Poster

Post by KariKessler »

Not really. Depends on what you are seeking when you go. I say try other cons from out of state but if you are still new to con going, baby steps (AB) It is your call.
~Music~
[/b]
!~Anime~!

~!>Sleep<!~

~!>^Food^<!~

These are the ingredients chosen to create the perfect meds for sadness
[/color]
But Professor Kessler accidentally added a chemical ingredient

P~!O~!W~!
[/color] (explodes)
Reality ._. ......
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

"Do or do not. There is no TRY!" - Yoda

A convention experience is only as much to you as you are willing to put into your experience. Anime Boston is worth it every year to go IMO. Will all the programming apply to you 100% every year? No. That doesn't mean your enjoyment of the event needs to be any less then wonderful! Not once has there been a shortage of energy, enthusiasm or entertainment. I see things no one else can see, do things no one else can do & I volunteer in between to help the con run better for everyone else. Lots of awesome people run this convention, all on a voluntary basis. Feel like you can help the con be better in any way? Ask....to Volunteer!
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Kalyoth wrote:"Do or do not. There is no TRY!" - Yoda

A convention experience is only as much to you as you are willing to put into your experience. Anime Boston is worth it every year to go IMO. Will all the programming apply to you 100% every year? No. That doesn't mean your enjoyment of the event needs to be any less then wonderful! Not once has there been a shortage of energy, enthusiasm or entertainment. I see things no one else can see, do things no one else can do & I volunteer in between to help the con run better for everyone else. Lots of awesome people run this convention, all on a voluntary basis. Feel like you can help the con be better in any way? Ask....to Volunteer!
THIS. A con is DEFINITELY what you make it. I tried participating in cosplay events for the first time in 2015 and that along with the mindset of not letting there be drama made a HUGE difference in my experience and enjoyment. 2015 was the best AB I've ever had and I've been going since 2007.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

The last few posts have summed up Anime Boston pretty well for me.

2016 will be the 11th straight year I'll be attending Anime Boston. Every year there is something there that makes me love this convention to death. Whether it's cosplaying as my favorite character, attending panels (and running my own as well :P) or emptying my wallet in the dealer's room, it's the one weekend where I can really enjoy something and not worry about anything else.

Is Anime Boston worth it? ABSOLUTELY OMG IT IS SO WORTH IT.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
sunflower_king
Expert Poster

Post by sunflower_king »

coolforever wrote:The last few posts have summed up Anime Boston pretty well for me.

2016 will be the 11th straight year I'll be attending Anime Boston. Every year there is something there that makes me love this convention to death. Whether it's cosplaying as my favorite character, attending panels (and running my own as well :P) or emptying my wallet in the dealer's room, it's the one weekend where I can really enjoy something and not worry about anything else.

Is Anime Boston worth it? ABSOLUTELY OMG IT IS SO WORTH IT.
I absolutely agree with this. I've been going to AB ever since I was 5, and even if I didn't know too much about anime back then, i still had a great time. As I got more into anime throughout the years, I loved the convention more and more every year. Trust me, it's so much fun. Especially if you have friends with you or make new friends there!
'05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18 '19 '22 and soon '23
My 2023 AB Lineup:
Friday AM: TBD
Friday PM: TBD
Saturday AM:TBD
Saturday PM: TBD
Sunday: TBD
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

This will be AB #14 for me!

And at every event, there's something different, something new. Over the years, I've seen some of my favorite Japanese vocalists performing live, met the original Godzilla "Man in the Rubber Suit", had one-on-one conversations with my favorite English VAs, and gave face-to-face feedback to industry reps.

And I haven't even mentioned the swag in the dealer's room, the cosplay wandering the halls at all hours, and the hundreds of hours of anime screenings, running from morning into the, um, next morning. And every year, there seems to be a new panel you'll remember years into the future.

In short, there's no end of things to see and do, and as others have said, you'll get out what you put in, Hope you have a great time!
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Mythicalfair

Post by Mythicalfair »

If you live in or near Boston and like Anime then it should definitely be worth it. The biggest expenses are travel and hotel, which you avoid by being able to go home each night. It can be a bit crowded and overwhelming but if you pace yourself and do a little planning it can be a lot of fun. I'm a vendor and I see a lot of the same people year after year so they definitely seem to enjoy it.
MollyThornhart

Post by MollyThornhart »

You really cant beat the price for three days of con fun! Ive been to a few others, but dollar for dollar, this is your best bet to get the bang out of your buck.
~m
Friday = O/C Character Molly Thornhart from the Phantom of the Opera
Saturday = Courtney Love

There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
There's a starman waiting in the sky
He's told us not to blow it
Cause he knows it's all worthwhile
He told me:
Let the children lose it
Let the children use it
Let all the children boogie
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

think of it this way, I wasn't going to go until two (ish) weeks ago i usually wait to see who the guests are, but next year ill pre reg early so i dont have to guess and all
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

Absolutely, you have all types of Otaku here. From cosplayers, to artists, to foreign and domestic guests. Those who love writing, crafting. Some are scholars and some are comedians. Some are the older types who can gather and talk about Star Blazers being 'new,' and some are the fresh fans getting into their first couple of shows. Everyone's here! All the con asks of you (besides the entry fee) is to participate to your heart's content.

Try new things, meet new people - or just do what you like and enjoy all the festivity!

Been going since Anime Boston began.
Petesanimeplus
I'm new!

Post by Petesanimeplus »

This will be my 6th year and my families 5th year. Been a life long anime fan, got my kids into it, also hesitated going for years, mostly due to social anxiety. Finally my wife talked me into going (DOES NOT LIKE ANIME BTW) and since that first year we make it a family vacation every year now! It is a blast for so many reasons the least of which being just sitting back and ppl watching is incredible! The cross section of different ppl that attend this convention is truly a site to behold!

If you have the means to go and are even slightly into anime or the Japanese pop culture I thoroughly recommend going, you will NOT regret it! It is literally the highlight of my whole year!
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Post by midnightsiren182 »

You guys, these responses are fantastic and definitely have me a little emotional (in a good way!)

At the end of the day, you guys are why we do this. We are all fans and making this weekend anime nerd party something people look forward to every year and feel home at is what drives us. No con is without bumps or hiccups, but I feel like we've all made a good community here and I hope people coming for the first time find it worthwhile, I hope recurring attendees find it worthwhile.

We look forward to welcoming you all in a few weeks!
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

"Invention my dear friends is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." Willy Wonka

All we need now is Sake tasting events sometime in the future....(hint hint)
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
Maydog
Experienced Poster

Post by Maydog »

Kagami_Hiiragi wrote:Hi guys~! I'm new here, but lived in the Boston area all my life basically.

Is AB worth it? I haven't gone yet, but really wanted opinions from people have gone and maybe experiences they've had! Oh, and if anyone wants to discuss anime let me know.~
We have been gong to AB for couple of years now. Traveling a couple of hours to Boston to attend. I can't speak for everyone, but we had a great time last year. That's why we keep coming back and that's the bottom line basically. There have been challenges in previous years that we observed for AB but nothing earth shaking. AB staff are always open to review any concerns. Right or wrong they certainly take opinions big or small seriously and for future Con development. I will be with a Cosplayer and I can tell you that AB Cosplayers are definitely serious about the art and very nice people from my observations. It's really fun to be amoung that scene. Don't know if you noticed but AB has some major guests coming. Everyone should be excited about that. I met the original Godzilla actors last year and yes, that was at AB. I attend other major Cons also and AB is one of the major ones in the U.S. If you are lucky enough to live where this is happening I would go if I was you.
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

I go to usually between 3-4 cons every year (always AB, Otakon, & AnimeNEXT and sometimes Katsucon) and AB is by far my favorite one, for what that's worth. I've been going for about 5 years now and have yet to have anything other than a great time.
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn »

This year will be my first year going, but I've heard amazing things about it. Judging by that, most definitely.
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul
tarantucat
Expert Poster

Post by tarantucat »

Honestly, when I first started going to cons in 2008 I was suuuuuper into anime and that's really the only reason I went to AB the first time. But now? Not so much. Couldn't even tell you the last time I watched one all the way through!

That being said, I don't think I'll ever stop going to AB. It's too much fun, the environment is creative and supportive and welcoming and full of people excited to be together and looking fabulous and I LOVE that, so I'll always keep coming back really just for that feeling. It's such an awesome celebration of culture and art and talent and feeling like you're a part of something. Honestly I've cried once it was over a few years, so you gotta know it's special!
'09: Cosmo (Fairly Odd Parents)
'10: Sly Cooper, Ben 10
'11: Billy Hatcher
'12: Rebecca Chambers (RE0), Syaoran Li (CCS)
'13: Big Boss (MGS3)
'14: Spinelli (Recess), Sunny Emmerich (MGS: Rising)
'15: White Mushroom Heartless (KH1)
'16: Vault Dweller (Fallout), Yarny (Unravel)
'17: Amy Rose (Sonic CD), Regina (Dino Crisis)
'18: Zapp Brannigan (Futurama), Betty Cooper (Riverdale)
'19: Five (Umbrella Academy), Amanda Holliday (Destiny)
'22: Doc (Back 4 Blood)