what does "eataly" mean for ab2016?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Re: what does "eataly" mean for ab2016?

Post by nightmareman00 »

Oki wrote:This is depressing for me because one of my favorite things about AB was booking at the Sheraton and never having to leave the Prudential in order to eat or really do much at all. I would literally eat panda express the entire weekend and never any other time of year. There isn't much to be done but I wish Anime Boston would've publicized this sooner - even now there are 'options' but as someone who usually ends up sprinting from event to event this ends up being very detrimental to me because it's hard for me to be anywhere at any given time at a con, and I know it's that way for everyone else too. I guess I'll just go the easy route and save money this time, here's hoping the staff can have them extend hours at the extra places but I'm not gonna bank on it. Edit: Will say though, glad there is always Starbucks. How can we live without Starbucks and DnD? Hah!
Now that be scary to see ppl at AB with out DnD lol it be chaos
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Post by midnightsiren182 »

Starbucks and Dunkin are still going to be open. Other restaurants like Au Bon pain, crazy dough, cpk, etc are still open
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Post by nightmareman00 »

MidnightSiren182 wrote:Starbucks and Dunkin are still going to be open. Other restaurants like Au Bon pain, crazy dough, cpk, etc are still open
That's good to know always hit Au Bon for a break
Jovian
I'm new!

Post by Jovian »

Yikes, I'm sure glad I checked these forums before the con--I had no idea this was happening. There goes introducing my friend to Cheeseboy :(

My new plans are thus: eat at the Pru's remaining restaurants if it's (relatively) cheap and I have the time, order delivery, and bring plenty of emergency snacks for the room. No way I'm going to rack up room service bills.
nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Post by nightmareman00 »

Jovian wrote:Yikes, I'm sure glad I checked these forums before the con--I had no idea this was happening. There goes introducing my friend to Cheeseboy :(

My new plans are thus: eat at the Pru's remaining restaurants if it's (relatively) cheap and I have the time, order delivery, and bring plenty of emergency snacks for the room. No way I'm going to rack up room service bills.
Lol I can agree with you on that 40 bucks for a burger and fries with 2 cokes I fear what a steak would have costed me lol
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

FYI guys, we do have a dining area on our website that lists a whole lotta places around the area

http://animeboston.com/location/area_dining/

we're working on having it up to date for this year because of the obvious changes, but it does exist
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

nightmareman00 wrote:
Jovian wrote:Yikes, I'm sure glad I checked these forums before the con--I had no idea this was happening. There goes introducing my friend to Cheeseboy :(

Lol I can agree with you on that 40 bucks for a burger and fries with 2 cokes I fear what a steak would have costed me lol
Room service isn't exactly something financially responsible people do with their money... unless you happen to have so much of it that you don't need to be responsible.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Great, I've always seen the Shaws in the area but never went in. I used to stay at the Copley House Hotel on West Newton st. a few times during the con and there's a 7/Eleven across the street from it. Easy convenience and open 24/7. We were able to buy milk for our cereal late at night coming from the con.

This year I'm planning on bringing a small lunch bag cooler to stash yogurt, buy a big pack of chips, Dunkin Donuts for breakfast in the morning, and hopefully get a chance to eat at Wagamama's or PF Changs and order an extra meal to box and eat later. If all else fails, we'll order take out or wander out.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Post by nightmareman00 »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
nightmareman00 wrote:

Room service isn't exactly something financially responsible people do with their money... unless you happen to have so much of it that you don't need to be responsible.
Oh how I wish I won the lottery last week so I could do that lol
WertPhotography
Experienced Poster

Post by WertPhotography »

With four of us going we save money by just getting food from Shaw's and eating in our hotel room. Their hot food buffet isn't badly priced either so we eat that a lot. Price is a big thing since I'm the one paying for all four people.
HimariChan
Expert Poster

Post by HimariChan »

An AB staff member I talked to thinks eataly will probably not be open in time for AB. I've been trying to find more information but am turning up zilch. Has anyone been to the Pru recently? I don't know what stage construction is at now.

As for the food topic: Last year I saw a new restaurant on the left side of the Hynes, but it is pricey! There are a few good sushi places on Newbury street, though. Umai in particular looks good.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

HimariChan wrote:An AB staff member I talked to thinks eataly will probably not be open in time for AB. I've been trying to find more information but am turning up zilch. Has anyone been to the Pru recently? I don't know what stage construction is at now.
Zagat mentioned it'd be open some time this September... Not that it really matters for most of the con attendees. It won't be a food court. It'll be a supermarket that makes Whole Foods prices look cheap and a restaurant at the highest end of the price scale for that mall. They already have ones in Chicago and New York - the layout and contents aren't really a big mystery. If you look at their website, you can see they're in the Pampered Chef niche for the most part.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

South Station has a Cheesboy.
And there is one on Washington Street in Downtown Crossing. It is across from the Walgreens, in between the two entrances to State station.

For food that is good, close to the con, and reasonably priced for the portions, I suggest The Pour House. It is right across the street from the Boylston St entrance to the Hynes. Be careful of the traffic when crossing the street. Oh, and try to remember they have additional seating in their downstairs section if you go in and it looks like the place is full.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Try to go in at off times also - Pour House is very popular and is inevitably always loaded with ppl
Last edited by Kalyoth on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Not that it really matters for most of the con attendees. It won't be a food court. It'll be a supermarket that makes Whole Foods prices look cheap and a restaurant at the highest end of the price scale for that mall.

Having eaten at the one in NYC I would like to dispel something. I took myself and 2 others to dinner there and we got out for less than $35. There are expensive parts to Eatly, but there are also good pasta stands in there as well. If you shop right you can get some amazing meals for fairly cheap pricing. Yes some things are expensive, but you dont have to eat them. Do not just write off an entire major food market because a review says it costs too much.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Coco Strawbunny
Determined Poster

Post by Coco Strawbunny »

one place you guys could go to if you want to save money is Chipotle. it is at the MIT redline station in Cambridge, ma in front of the Marriott hotel.
2014 Logan Walker (COD) & Edward Elric ~FMA
2015: Naruto uzumaki, Kurama (naruto)
2016: Renamon (digimon), Naruto
2017: chibisuke (dragon drive), Naruto
2018: sawsbuck (pokemon), ash (pokemon)
2022: delphox (pokemon), fatgum (MHA), more?
my cosplay page: http://www.facebook.com/KitsuneCosplay323/
my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk8pa7RFYKkA27BztmGZrJw
Shirley Dulcey
AB Alumni

Post by Shirley Dulcey »

There doesn't seem to be anybody mentioning the eateries on the nearby parts of Mass Ave, or on the section of Boylston St just west of Mass Ave. They include b.good, Boloco, Boston Burger Company, Teriyaki House, Pad Thai Cafe, Dumpling Palace, Zest (a Mediterranean place), Chutney's (Indian), JP Licks (ice cream), a second Wendy's, and outposts of Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks. They are all a short walk from the main entrance of the Sheraton, though it does involve a walk on a back street that is rather dark at night.

Huntington Ave west of Mass Ave and nearby streets are another area to explore. In addition to the various restaurants there is also a nearby Whole Foods on Westland Ave. Ichiban, across the street from Whole Foods, offers bento boxes at lunch time - a lot of yummy Japanese food for under $10.

If you get hungry late, there is a new Tasty Burger at Back Bay Station. Getting there from AB is a bit of a walk but only barely involves going outdoors; you can walk through the Prudential Mall, across the skybridge to the Copley Place mall, and then all the way to the Dartmouth St exit and it's right across the street. It's open until 2AM on Thursday through Saturday nights. Another option is the Star Market (formerly Shaw's) near AB, which is open 24 hours.

Some of these are listed on the Area Dining page, but these areas are not shown on the map. The map ignores everything west of the Sheraton, concentrating on the area going toward Copley.
Shirley Dulcey
Tech 2016-2022
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Without going outside, the following places should be available for food:

- 5 Napkin Burger
- Au Bon Pain (2)
- California Pizza Kitchen
- Champions
- Cheesecake Factory
- Coldstone
- Crazy Dough Pizza
- Dunkin Donuts
- Legal Seafoods
- PF Changs
- Pink Berry
- Shabumaru
- Starbucks (4)
- Wagamama

Close/Not far of a walk could include:

- Atlantic Fish Company
- Brasserie Jo
- Kings
- Max Brenner
- Pour House
- Star Market
- Summer Shack
- Towne
- Unos
- Whiskey's

And a bit further, but not far at all:

- B. Good
- Boston Library Cafe
- Boston Market
- Club Cafe
- Dillion's Bar and Grille
- FiRE + iCE
- JP Licks
- Subway
- Wendy's

The bolded ones are the ones I'd recommend to a more frugal goer. Never been to most of these places however, so some cheap places may not be highlighted.

There are places still around.... still a decent variety actually. Those of you who have never been to the other convention center should be happy to hear that there is still a crazy amount of food options here in comparison.

Also not to mention, you could get to other locations through the Pru or Back Bay stations without going outside.... of course, if you are that set on NOT going outside. This could get you to places like South Station and such for more "I'm afraid of the sun" dining. ;)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Bluebeard45
Expert Poster

Post by Bluebeard45 »

Well this is disappointing to read. I make the most of AB every year, which means when I need to eat I'm not able to leave the Pru or wait in line very long. Lunch & Dinner is shoving a couple slices of pizza in my mouth in the half hour I have between panels so I can make it to the next one on time. Places like Wagamama that were already busy enough are going to be flooded with people. Looks like Shaws is the best option for me when I arrive Thursday, glad I saw this ahead of time.
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Post by midnightsiren182 »

A lot of grocery stores these days have prepared sandwiches/snacks so those make a good alternative if you want to save money and not wait in any lines.
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:Without going outside, the following places should be available for food:

- 5 Napkin Burger
- Au Bon Pain (2)
- California Pizza Kitchen
- Champions
- Cheesecake Factory
- Coldstone
- Crazy Dough Pizza
- Dunkin Donuts
- Legal Seafoods
- PF Changs
- Pink Berry
- Shabumaru
- Starbucks (4)
- Wagamama

Close/Not far of a walk could include:

- Atlantic Fish Company
- Brasserie Jo
- Kings
- Max Brenner
- Pour House
- Star Market
- Summer Shack
- Towne
- Unos
- Whiskey's

And a bit further, but not far at all:

- B. Good
- Boston Library Cafe
- Boston Market
- Club Cafe
- Dillion's Bar and Grille
- FiRE + iCE
- JP Licks
- Subway
- Wendy's

The bolded ones are the ones I'd recommend to a more frugal goer. Never been to most of these places however, so some cheap places may not be highlighted.

There are places still around.... still a decent variety actually. Those of you who have never been to the other convention center should be happy to hear that there is still a crazy amount of food options here in comparison.

Also not to mention, you could get to other locations through the Pru or Back Bay stations without going outside.... of course, if you are that set on NOT going outside. This could get you to places like South Station and such for more "I'm afraid of the sun" dining. ;)
And where is the Terriyaki House on this list. :P
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Terriyaki House? Dun no one need nun of dat.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

With Eataly being constructed, I realize again about how the flow situation of people and amount going in and out of the convention. With the food court there was more area to spread out and sit around, now with that gone, I think the prudential hallways are gonna be much more crowded, maybe even the surrounding streets with people walking and wandering to buy food.
Not that that's a bad thing, as mentioned a lot of places are close by but our extra convenient space that was the food court is no longer. So, I hope that there won't be any frustration with the result of us all gathering and crowding the halls more. If that outdoor courtyard was open again, that would help too.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Well then, didn't realize that I wrote this on a different post (wrote it in the "City of Boston Information" section. Anyway, this is what I wrote.
Walked the area yesterday. Star Market has a little kiosk area where the entrance of the food court used to be with display fridges full of drinks and premade sanwiches/wraps.
Also would like to note that several stores were closed and boarded up in that area as well (not related to the eatery). One last thing that I found fascinating was...how did they get a technically 2 cars into one of the stores??? That still confuses me...
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Nenie wrote:With Eataly being constructed, I realize again about how the flow situation of people and amount going in and out of the convention. With the food court there was more area to spread out and sit around, now with that gone, I think the prudential hallways are gonna be much more crowded, maybe even the surrounding streets with people walking and wandering to buy food.
Not that that's a bad thing, as mentioned a lot of places are close by but our extra convenient space that was the food court is no longer. So, I hope that there won't be any frustration with the result of us all gathering and crowding the halls more. If that outdoor courtyard was open again, that would help too.
If you are talking about the courtyard that was next to the food court, it is gone (that's where the new building is).
If you mean the South Garden, it likely won't be. The Pru doesn't open it until the night time lows stay above freezing for a week straight, and then they need at least 3 days of clear weather to make it look nice. So, basically, expect it to be closed any year that AB is before April 15th.
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Yes the south garden was what I meant. I know, I heard that they've been keeping it closed off in recent years during the con because of the grass and ground being too soft and the pru didn't want foot traffic about that area. Sigh, someday I hope AB falls on the month of May again. But that won't happen in the next few years contracted dates.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Nenie wrote:Yes the south garden was what I meant. I know, I heard that they've been keeping it closed off in recent years during the con because of the grass and ground being too soft and the pru didn't want foot traffic about that area. Sigh, someday I hope AB falls on the month of May again. But that won't happen in the next few years contracted dates.
The South Garden is a nice place for photoshoots when it is available, but it is also a terrible place for photoshoots. Why? Because the way the walls around it are, wind comes in from above and spirals around the whole inside before it can escape back out the top. The last time it was available during AB, I saw many cosplayers having to hold onto parts of their costumes less they be blown to who knows where.
Mirotic
Veteran Poster

Post by Mirotic »

Does anyone have an update on the construction and parking garages (just curious if anything is blocked off)?
I believe if time passes, everything turns into beauty. If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away. Everything starts wearing fresh colors. Every sound begins playing a heartful melody. Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic. Desire is embraced in a dream. But my mind is still in chaos and..
2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021 / 2022
Kagomechan
AB Staff

Post by Kagomechan »

Mirotic wrote:Does anyone have an update on the construction and parking garages (just curious if anything is blocked off)?
I was just down there on Saturday. All of the parking garage entrances are open.

The pedestrian entrance to the Prudential Mall on Boylston Street reopened.
Mary Kaplan
Staff Resource Manager for Anime Boston 2013-2024
Director of Operations for Anime Boston 2006-2012
Secretary 2004-2005
Information Desk Manager 2003-2005
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

Kagomechan wrote:
Mirotic wrote:Does anyone have an update on the construction and parking garages (just curious if anything is blocked off)?
I was just down there on Saturday. All of the parking garage entrances are open.

so does this mean we can have photo shoots outside?
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Kagomechan
AB Staff

Post by Kagomechan »

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:
Kagomechan wrote:

Unfortunately not. The terrace is completely gone as a building now stands there. There is only the sidewalk on Boylston Street and part of that is fairly narrow due to the construction barrier still in front of the building.
Mary Kaplan
Secretary 2004-2005
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Might as well move all those outdoor photo shoots in the open area of the Christian Science Center across from the Huntington ave. Cheesecake Factory/Barnes and Noble entrance.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Nenie wrote:Might as well move all those outdoor photo shoots in the open area of the Christian Science Center across from the Huntington ave. Cheesecake Factory/Barnes and Noble entrance.
seeing as mine will be at night i dono if that will work out so well, but that would be a great idea for the ones during the day!

I wish there was a way to go to the parks but I really would not have to pay for a subway stop
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Kagomechan wrote:
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:
Kagomechan wrote:

Unfortunately not. The terrace is completely gone as a building now stands there. There is only the sidewalk on Boylston Street and part of that is fairly narrow due to the construction barrier still in front of the building.
wheres' my angry emot at? >.>: that's so compeltly un fair! (no matter how exited about it i am) it'll give a new spot for photo shoots (once it's done) and if it's anything like the New York location it's going to be huge and give us new and exiting places to eat now...

I've been to the one in New York once (my dad's been there twice) the cafe/chocoalte bar is outstanding, as well as the meat and seafood and pasta and pizza section (that's where we ate) and it's great! homade pasta and pizza what could be bad about that?
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Maydog
Experienced Poster

Post by Maydog »

I communicated under the " Food Court " forum before stumbling on this but just as an FYI. I was speaking to the PCenter an hour ago and they shocked me by telling me the food court was gone. There really isn't a replacement for the Court option other than what's left around the Mall and some visiting trucks they were telling me. Can AB arrange with Hynes to expand the food options throughout the Hynes inside for the event?
Can we also have these options set up inside the Dealers room? Like they have set up at other Converntion Centers. Don't really want to bop in and out of the Hynes. Going through Security checks over and over again. Looking for convenience and fast food and keep going. I think a lot of the members like to stay inside and enjoy the Convention during the operating hours. Please....FEEEEEED MEEEEE
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

We're already using all of the space in front of all of the 'vending stations' in all of the halls. I'm not even sure if they can be operated - it's not something we've ever seriously looked into, so they might not even be equipped to function.

There are definitely things that can be found outside the building. http://www.animeboston.com/location/area_dining/ It's a link that's been posted several times, but I think it hadn't been updated for a while. However, it seems to be current now. There are a lot of places that can be found on sites like Foodler or Grubhub where you could place a takeout order in advance (without having to even talk to a person!) to cut down on some of the time spent. It's a bummer situation that we're all in, but there are plenty of options available!
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Maydog
Experienced Poster

Post by Maydog »

pulsedemon wrote:We're already using all of the space in front of all of the 'vending stations' in all of the halls. I'm not even sure if they can be operated - it's not something we've ever seriously looked into, so they might not even be equipped to function.

There are definitely things that can be found outside the building. http://www.animeboston.com/location/area_dining/ It's a link that's been posted several times, but I think it hadn't been updated for a while. However, it seems to be current now. There are a lot of places that can be found on sites like Foodler or Grubhub where you could place a takeout order in advance (without having to even talk to a person!) to cut down on some of the time spent. It's a bummer situation that we're all in, but there are plenty of options available!
Thanks for the suggestions and link with maps. Truly appreciate it
The Food Court was such a cool place as you know with great food and convenient for everyone. During AB this was a go to place for everyone. They even stayed opened later just for AB. This option will be sorely missed. I'm hungry just thinking about it. A real bummer.
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

The food court is gone...??? That's extremely disappointing. Looks like I'll be bringing a lot of my own food in the car and I'll just keep it in my room. There's no way I'm paying $16 for a (mediocre) hamburger and a drink from the Hynes again. Not sure if I trust "eataly" to be relatively inexpensive.
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Sakura-chan wrote:The food court is gone...??? That's extremely disappointing. Looks like I'll be bringing a lot of my own food in the car and I'll just keep it in my room. There's no way I'm paying $16 for a (mediocre) hamburger and a drink from the Hynes again. Not sure if I trust "eataly" to be relatively inexpensive.
Eataly won't even be open in time. There's tons of food nearby just nothing as convenient as the food court was. My plan of action is one sit down meal a day and the rest small on the go/quick to eat stuff.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Kagomechan
AB Staff

Post by Kagomechan »

I spoke with Hynes Catering a few weeks ago. They are aware of the complaints/concerns over pricing and told me they would have some lower priced options this year.

In addition to the pop up stands and cafe, they will be opening the coffee house area next to the cafe with more food options. They will also be extending their hours because the food court is gone.
Mary Kaplan
Secretary 2004-2005
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

That's very nice of the Hynes Catering, I have yet to eat the food being sold inside the convention area because of the prices. I hope the lower prices are more reasonable, I know I'm not expecting cheap either. But I might consider them as a last means.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
Maydog
Experienced Poster

Post by Maydog »

Kagomechan wrote:I spoke with Hynes Catering a few weeks ago. They are aware of the complaints/concerns over pricing and told me they would have some lower priced options this year.

In addition to the pop up stands and cafe, they will be opening the coffee house area next to the cafe with more food options. They will also be extending their hours because the food court is gone.
If Hynes and AB can solve this then they will truly be our food heros. I still think Hynes needs to set up food options ins corners inside the Dealers Room for example. I spoke to the Sheraton yesterday and their options are limited to their two restaurants, room service, and Starbucks. All are pricey and have long lines during the convention. We really don't want to do a sit down and wait on long lines for food. A lot of time lost involved. We want as much time inside the Convention as possible. I hope we do not have to resort to walking around with a three minute Ramen cup and hot water. Take out for Thirty Thousand Pleeeeeze.
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

As I mentioned already, we can't sacrifice the space to use the vending stations in the halls (if they could even be used at all) without losing a lot of stuff you'd actually want to be where it is.

Akina_Sumora
Determined Poster

Post by Akina_Sumora »

I just found out about this today. HMMMMMMM...
This is the first year in a while that I have to miss the first day of the con (due to work obligations). So luckily for me, I only have to worry about maybe 2 days worth of food. And a friend is bringing snacks. The only thing I'm worried about is this year being a repeat of LineCon (if you were there you know what I mean). And not in the con itself, but at all the nearby eating establishments.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how crowded it will get... but I hope I get to eat at least one meal at Wagamama. That's been a tradition for me ever since it opened!
AB 2016:
Sat- Mabinogi After-School Uniform OR Mabinogi Traditional Korean Outfit (weather pending)
Sun- Sailor Lolita coordinate OR Shoko Kirishima- Baka and Test (weather pending)

AB 2015:
Thur- FeMC (Winter casual)- Persona 3 Portable
Fri- FeMC (SEES)- P3P
Sat- Shouko Kirishima- Baka and Test
Sun- Mabinogi After-School Uniform

AB 2014:
Fri- Mabi After-School Uniform
Sat- B&W lolita coordinate
Sun- Mabi Traditional Korean Outfit
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Guys, I just randomly thought of a T-shirt idea in comedic commentary of the state of the food court now being constructed as Eataly,

T-shirt will say on the front;

R.I.P
The Boston Prudential Food Court
1993-2016

I wan to make this happen XD
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
Kanechan
Expert Poster

Post by Kanechan »

Bumping this up because of an article in today's Globe that talks about Eataly. It says they're looking to fill up to 600 positions for store staff, in preparation for a November opening, which seems rather unrealistic considering (according to the article) the growing shortage of qualified personnel in the Boston area. Those positions may be harder for them to fill by the time they want to open.
Klein bottle for rent; inquire within.
Kagomechan
AB Staff

Post by Kagomechan »

Kanechan wrote:Bumping this up because of an article in today's Globe that talks about Eataly. It says they're looking to fill up to 600 positions for store staff, in preparation for a November opening, which seems rather unrealistic considering (according to the article) the growing shortage of qualified personnel in the Boston area. Those positions may be harder for them to fill by the time they want to open.
FYI In addition to Eataly opening soon, three more restaurants should be opening before con - all located across from Wagamama:

Anna's Taqueria
Dig Inn
Num Pang (cambodian sandwiches)
Mary Kaplan
Secretary 2004-2005
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

So the construction for Eataly finished in September this year but they're not officially open til November?
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Inspections, hiring staff, stocking up, etc. There's a lot of stuff that goes into running a fairly large store, right?

Thespellbladesenpai
AB Alumni

Post by Thespellbladesenpai »

pulsedemon wrote:Inspections, hiring staff, stocking up, etc. There's a lot of stuff that goes into running a fairly large store, right?
yep there is
Thomas Wooster
Junior Technical Staff Anime Boston 2015, 2016, 2017

"The English have a saying all is fair in love and war" -Darjeeling

Cosplays
2015: Street Clothes
2016: Genderbend Darjeeling (Girls und Panzer)
2017: Umetero Nozaki (Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun) & Genderbend Darjeeling (Girls und Panzer)