Bypassing bag check

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
ryoko
Experienced Poster

Bypassing bag check

Post by ryoko »

This isnt really q question but..,,,
I find it unfortunate that people have found a way to get into the convention center thru the Sheraton in order to bypass bag check. The bag checks are in place to keep everyone safe at the convention. Just because you dont have anything bad in your bag doesnt mean the guy you just told didnt.
aubreyskingdom
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Bypassing bag check

Post by aubreyskingdom »

There has always been a way to get into the convention through the Sheraton (you end up in the dealers room), for as long as I can remember. I've used it plenty of times in past years and if I remember correctly they always checked my bag.
Ugly Bob
Veteran Poster

Post by Ugly Bob »

Yea, I've also make use of it since before bag check was even implemented, and it's not really a secret.

Regardless, there are bag checkers there all hours as well.
animosc
Expert Poster

Post by animosc »

There are still bag checks. On the plus side, the times I used it today, there were no lines at all!
aubreyskingdom wrote:(you end up in the dealers room)
Tiny correction: Artists' Alley, not the Dealers Room. You wind up on the 2nd floor of the Hynes, not the 1st floor.
ryoko
Experienced Poster

Post by ryoko »

Not sure where this one leads to but someone was going around and telling people there was a way around the bag check. I heard it from multiple people so not sure if there is another way.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

This is the first I'm hearing about this. All 3 public entrances to the Hynes--Bolyston St., the PRU and the Sheraton (third floor of the Hotel, 2nd floor of the Hynes)--have a bag check table. There are 2-3 people stationed there, too. I used the Sheraton exit twice so if there is a bag check bypass people know about, it certainly isn't there.

Using the Artist's Alley exit gives you quick access to the Manga Library so it just makes sense to use it instead of going back downstairs only to go upstairs again XD
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
GameXplayer
AB Staff

Post by GameXplayer »

There is a bag check through the Artist Alley there but it tends to be shorter than the Hynes entrance. The Artist Alley have to be on open hours for attendee to go through.
Last edited by GameXplayer on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Seng Ung
Technical Shift Lead
Previous positions: Various Technical Staff [2011-23)]
Attendee 2006-09
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

I went through the Sheraton entrance/exit and can assure you they did bag checking there. Also would like to point out that they are more thorough as there was usually no line there. In fact, I removed several items from my backpack once. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that the message was bypassing the back check line and not the bag checking process.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

Elli21486 wrote:I went through the Sheraton entrance/exit and can assure you they did bag checking there. Also would like to point out that they are more thorough as there was usually no line there. In fact, I removed several items from my backpack once. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that the message was bypassing the back check line and not the bag checking process.
Yeah, I think Eli has it right here. I was telling different people (friends, random acquaintances, even occasionally total strangers) about the Sheraton entrance a few times during the con, because I saw what a mess the main Hynes entrance from the Pru had become and I never saw a single line at the Sheraton entrance (supposedly my friend did finally see one at some point Saturday, but I never did). In my haste, it's very possible I said something like "you can skip the bag check", and I'm sure others who were giving similar advice may have done the same. Obviously what we meant was you can skip the giant line at the Hynes; there was still a bag check at the 3rd floor Sheraton, but because the vast majority of AB attendees seemingly have no clue that the entrance exists, there's almost never more than a few people going through it at a time. There was no way to actually skip the bag check process, even through the Sheraton entrance.
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Xias wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:I went through the Sheraton entrance/exit and can assure you they did bag checking there. Also would like to point out that they are more thorough as there was usually no line there. In fact, I removed several items from my backpack once. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that the message was bypassing the back check line and not the bag checking process.
Yeah, I think Eli has it right here. I was telling different people (friends, random acquaintances, even occasionally total strangers) about the Sheraton entrance a few times during the con, because I saw what a mess the main Hynes entrance from the Pru had become and I never saw a single line at the Sheraton entrance (supposedly my friend did finally see one at some point Saturday, but I never did). In my haste, it's very possible I said something like "you can skip the bag check", and I'm sure others who were giving similar advice may have done the same. Obviously what we meant was you can skip the giant line at the Hynes; there was still a bag check at the 3rd floor Sheraton, but because the vast majority of AB attendees seemingly have no clue that the entrance exists, there's almost never more than a few people going through it at a time. There was no way to actually skip the bag check process, even through the Sheraton entrance.
Speaking of the long line at the Hynes, I noticed that numerous times. Anime Boston was announcing the lack of lines at the Boylston entrance on Twitter. I also noticed they had people stationed at certain areas to direct people around the Cheesecake Factory. I could definitely see them switching directions through the Food Court area to the Boylston entrance. Maybe I should suggest that for next year. Can someone tell me how long they waited in the bag check line?
Past Conventions:

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries

Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Elli21486 wrote: Speaking of the long line at the Hynes, I noticed that numerous times. Anime Boston was announcing the lack of lines at the Boylston entrance on Twitter. I also noticed they had people stationed at certain areas to direct people around the Cheesecake Factory. I could definitely see them switching directions through the Food Court area to the Boylston entrance. Maybe I should suggest that for next year. Can someone tell me how long they waited in the bag check line?
Do you mean the bag inspection line at boylston or the pru?

While I can't say the time for the Pru, I used the Boylston St. Entrance throughout the convention several times (specifically to see it for myself before I announced it on twitter and other channels) and I was able to just get in and out with complete ease. There was zero wait time and the bag inspection tables were empty, save one.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

GameXplayer wrote:There is a bag check through the Artist Alley there but it tends to be shorter than the Hynes entrance. The Artist Alley have to be on open hours for attendee to go through.
^this!

it's your own fault for not knowing where the exit is by now.

that being said I love the secret passage ways to get in and out of the hynes, and they're usually alot nicer then the ones at the front interference.
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
JeffersonLeeEng
AB Staff

Post by JeffersonLeeEng »

AFAIK, the only group allowed to bypass bag/security check were convention staff and guests--those that had a vertical badge.

Yes, the connector between the third floor Sheraton and Artist Alley was available for access, but only during regular Artist Alley hours.
Jefferson Eng
Anime Boston — 2010
: Attendee | 2011: Registration Staff | 2013: Tech Ops: Desk Staff | 2012/14/15/18: Tech Ops: Jr Tech Staff | 2017: Tech Ops: Large Events Staff | 2022-Present: Tech Ops: General Tech Staff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Otaku Generation Podcast
Eva Monkey, an Evangelion Fansite
The Overnightscape Underground
dansolo
Getting the hang of this...

Post by dansolo »

ryoko wrote:This isnt really q question but..,,,
I find it unfortunate that people have found a way to get into the convention center thru the Sheraton in order to bypass bag check. The bag checks are in place to keep everyone safe at the convention. Just because you dont have anything bad in your bag doesnt mean the guy you just told didnt.
It's safety that wasn't needed in the first place. If someone wants to commit violence, they don't need to get inside the con to do it. There are tons of people gathered around the con and someone could easily find some way to cause an incident if that's what they really wanted to do. There has never been a major issue at an anime con nor will there ever be one. Might as well advocate the police do random bag checks of people walking down the street.

The more people that circumvent this ridiculously over-protective BS, the shorter the ridiculous lines are, so personally I am all for finding ways in.

This is the only convention or event I have ever been to where I've had to deal with this much BS including the super-insulting drug dogs being around. That dog must have been so bored standing there doing nothing.

We are anime fans, not criminals, so please stop treating us like criminals. I go to rock concerts and other events and aside from airports, Anime Boston is the only event I have ever been to that treats me like such a criminal.

I understand that it IS the intention of the security staff to provide us with safety and I do appreciate that, but when we're merely talking a false sense of security and a huge inconvenience to many people for no gain, this policy is terrible. There are bigger and better anime cons that continue to operate without treating customers like criminals and they have been no less safe whatsoever. You guys might as well start doing strip searches, too, because that would provide even more "security."
aznman08
AB Staff

Post by aznman08 »

Dansolo wrote:
It's safety that wasn't needed in the first place. If someone wants to commit violence, they don't need to get inside the con to do it. There are tons of people gathered around the con and someone could easily find some way to cause an incident if that's what they really wanted to do. There has never been a major issue at an anime con nor will there ever be one. Might as well advocate the police do random bag checks of people walking down the street.

The more people that circumvent this ridiculously over-protective BS, the shorter the ridiculous lines are, so personally I am all for finding ways in.

This is the only convention or event I have ever been to where I've had to deal with this much BS including the super-insulting drug dogs being around. That dog must have been so bored standing there doing nothing.

We are anime fans, not criminals, so please stop treating us like criminals. I go to rock concerts and other events and aside from airports, Anime Boston is the only event I have ever been to that treats me like such a criminal.

I understand that it IS the intention of the security staff to provide us with safety and I do appreciate that, but when we're merely talking a false sense of security and a huge inconvenience to many people for no gain, this policy is terrible. There are bigger and better anime cons that continue to operate without treating customers like criminals and they have been no less safe whatsoever. You guys might as well start doing strip searches, too, because that would provide even more "security."
For what its worth, the bag checks are not just restricted to Anime Boston. PAX East also had bag checks again this year, and that occurred at the BCEC in early March.
John Bautista
AB 2022: General Tech l 2019: Senior Tech l 2014-18: Junior Tech Staff l 2007-2013: AB volunteer l 2006:attendee
PAX East Enforcer:2014-22
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Nemra wrote:
Elli21486 wrote: Speaking of the long line at the Hynes, I noticed that numerous times. Anime Boston was announcing the lack of lines at the Boylston entrance on Twitter. I also noticed they had people stationed at certain areas to direct people around the Cheesecake Factory. I could definitely see them switching directions through the Food Court area to the Boylston entrance. Maybe I should suggest that for next year. Can someone tell me how long they waited in the bag check line?
Do you mean the bag inspection line at boylston or the pru?

While I can't say the time for the Pru, I used the Boylston St. Entrance throughout the convention several times (specifically to see it for myself before I announced it on twitter and other channels) and I was able to just get in and out with complete ease. There was zero wait time and the bag inspection tables were empty, save one.
Sorry, I meant the Pru. Also, good job with the announcing. Like the fact you also took a picture of the non-existing line at the Boyston entrance at one point.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

Max465
Experienced Poster

Post by Max465 »

Dansolo wrote:It's safety that wasn't needed in the first place. If someone wants to commit violence, they don't need to get inside the con to do it. There are tons of people gathered around the con and someone could easily find some way to cause an incident if that's what they really wanted to do. There has never been a major issue at an anime con nor will there ever be one. Might as well advocate the police do random bag checks of people walking down the street.

To my knowledge its specifically a boston thing. Ever since the boston bombing roughly three years ago AB has had a bag check. I believe its a requirement for all large scale events in the area to have a bag check.

Personally I'd rather be over protective and have no incidents occur than, be under protected and have just one time create a disaster.

Also you are false good sir on that line about no major incidents. Lets not forget the informal dance of 2012. The informal dance to end all informal dances, and almost AB itself.

[PS: Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. This is just how I've made sense of it since there wasn't a bag check during my first year. I'm not entirely familiar with local laws in Boston, as I'm not from the area.]
aznman08
AB Staff

Post by aznman08 »

Max465 wrote:
Dansolo wrote:It's safety that wasn't needed in the first place. If someone wants to commit violence, they don't need to get inside the con to do it. There are tons of people gathered around the con and someone could easily find some way to cause an incident if that's what they really wanted to do. There has never been a major issue at an anime con nor will there ever be one. Might as well advocate the police do random bag checks of people walking down the street.

To my knowledge its specifically a boston thing. Ever since the boston bombing roughly three years ago AB has had a bag check. I believe its a requirement for all large scale events in the area to have a bag check.

Personally I'd rather be over protective and have no incidents occur than, be under protected and have just one time create a disaster.

Also you are false good sir on that line about no major incidents. Lets not forget the informal dance of 2012. The informal dance to end all informal dances, and almost AB itself.

[PS: Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. This is just how I've made sense of it since there wasn't a bag check during my first year. I'm not entirely familiar with local laws in Boston, as I'm not from the area.]
From what I remember last year, besides AB; 2014 Boston Marathon, First Night 2015, PAX East 2014 had bag checks as well.
John Bautista
AB 2022: General Tech l 2019: Senior Tech l 2014-18: Junior Tech Staff l 2007-2013: AB volunteer l 2006:attendee
PAX East Enforcer:2014-22
lordshamus
AB Staff

Post by lordshamus »

Dansolo wrote:

Real talk; we don't want to make you go through a bag check. Our partners the MCCA, who are amazing to work with by the way, have been pressured by the state to require it, and neither they nor us have ANY ability to relax it. It was a reaction to the Marathon Bombing, and since we're stuck with it, we spend an immense amount of time and money trying to find new ways to make it less annoying. Trust me, I feel you, but I also have to keep you safe and make sure the Commonwealth KNOWS we are keeping you safe. I promise I would tell you if I thought the MCCA could be doing a better job at it, but there is quite simply no easy way to get 25,000 of you into that building through the mall entrance that isn't KIND of a pain in the ass if we're also checking bags. I can promise that we are always trying to make it *more* efficient and *less* painful. Always try to remember staff is on your side. Nobody's getting paid to do this. We do this because we like you lol.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

“Uneasy lies the head that wears a hilarious novelty hat.” -Wm Shakespeare
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

aznman08 wrote:
Max465 wrote:

From what I remember last year, besides AB; 2014 Boston Marathon, First Night 2015, PAX East 2014 had bag checks as well.
Also like to add the Fourth of July on the Charles does bag checking every year. The Museum of Science and the New England Aquarium have also done bag checking at certain times last year.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

JeffersonLeeEng wrote:AFAIK, the only group allowed to bypass bag/security check were convention staff and guests--those that had a vertical badge.
Artists were too.
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

Exhibitors should have also been bypassing the bag check and those badges are more horizontal. Depending on which entrance (in this case, the Boylston St entrance was actually a lot worse) the instructions on who should be able to skip were sometimes ignored.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

pulsedemon wrote:Exhibitors should have also been bypassing the bag check and those badges are more horizontal. Depending on which entrance (in this case, the Boylston St entrance was actually a lot worse) the instructions on who should be able to skip were sometimes ignored.
i didn't have any trouble on Saturday evening after 6:00 getting in from the hynes enterence *Cough* next year i'm using that and waking up late because that's the best way to go if you have fear of heights.
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Dragonrider1227
Veteran Poster

Post by Dragonrider1227 »

aznman08 wrote:
Dansolo wrote:

For what its worth, the bag checks are not just restricted to Anime Boston. PAX East also had bag checks again this year, and that occurred at the BCEC in early March.
Yeah, Rhode Island Comic-Con does bag checking too. Though I don't think they used dogs.
But it is terribly annoying since no one has ever attacked a con. That said though, should we really wait until someone does? :/
Drama Finalist 2015 A Boy In Funny Red Boots
Fun/Comedy Finalist 2019 The Hero We Need