Dealer Room registration

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Mythicalfair
Getting the hang of this...

Dealer Room registration

Post by Mythicalfair »

Hello, is there a rough idea when dealer registration will open? We almost didn't get in last year and we want to be ready. Thanks!
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Re: Dealer Room registration

Post by pulsedemon »

The best I can offer is 'when it's ready'. Our intrepid web team has everything and they're updating the online booking system now. It will not go up this weekend while a lot of people are at Ohayocon. I can assure you (and anyone else) of that.

A lot of things can't really get started for a lot of people (not just people working on this show, but across the entire 'industry') since a lot of production schedules in Japan aren't in place until the beginning of the year. Since we can't concrete everything with sponsors and stuff until they've got an idea of what they can do based on production work that's planned out in the beginning of the year, I'm in the position of either holding until things are ready or doing some really janky two-stage rollout where I withhold all of the primo real estate until I know I don't need it. Either way, I'm hearing it, so this is the way we're doing it. I hate to sound like a prick, but it's ultimately easier to take the blame on myself. ;)
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Mythicalfair

Post by Mythicalfair »

Hello Christian, I certainly don't think you're acting like a prick by any means. We love doing Boston and look forward to it every year. I'm just trying to sort out the best way to secure a spot each year with the least amount of stress on everyone. We'll keep checking the site, Twitter feed and our emails for the announcement. Thanks!
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Your email will likely be the first and only place the word goes, since it didn't take long to fill last year and I don't think that'll change this year.

Mythicalfair

Post by Mythicalfair »

Cool, I appreciate that, I will be sure to keep an eye out and reply immediately.

I did notice some vendors listed for 2015:
http://www.animeboston.com/exhibits/dea ... sting/2015
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Okay, I fixed that. As I mentioned, first I have to get sponsors, partners, etc. sorted. Figure a couple of days at the soonest, but likely after Katsucon [next week]. That'll likely get me the fewest complaints.

skim
Experienced Poster

Post by skim »

Ah! Here's my question, and it's already answered.

I'm looking forward to when dealers sign ups go live. :)

Will the dealers coordinator e-mail interested parties when it's almost ready to begin?
Original comic "Morie the Witch" Issue 1 Issue 2 ;) available as a BOOK only.
facebook.com/skimlines | skimlines.deviantart | skimlines on tumblr!
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

That's my plan. Watch your inbox later this week, if you sent us a message through the contact form.

http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/contact/17

crosscritters
I'm new!

Post by crosscritters »

Hi I was just wondering if the information page is going to go live before the actual registration? I wanted to apply for the first time this year and just wanted to get a chance to read through the information (booth cost, if we need any tax id information, etc.) before I try to apply.

Thanks!
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

$625 (US)

Each booth is 10'W x 8'D and comes with a draped 8' table, two badges, two chairs, a wastebasket, and a sign.

If anything is being sold, a tax ID registration is absolutely required. That doesn't change anywhere. If you're thinking of booking space and not selling anything, we don't need the tax ID. We still need it if a person was going to sell clothing, even though they might not need to collect any sales tax. We'd report that they were at the show and then it's on them to report that they sold stuff and that it didn't have to have any sales tax collected. I'd checked with the DOR about that a while ago.

If you've got more questions, feel free to hit me up on the contact form. The link's above.

NancyC717
I'm new!

Post by NancyC717 »

Hi Christian, I'm interested in exhibiting, but this would be my first year. I've been checking the website every day for over a month to see if registration is available. I saw your post that people will most likely be notified by email first - can I be added to the email list? Thanks!
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Please use the contact form.

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

can we haggle the dealers? like say something was way over priced and we want to bring the price down a notch would that happen?
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Sure, but I can't promise it'll change anything.

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

pulsedemon wrote:Sure, but I can't promise it'll change anything.
haha the kurian vender tends to do something about it if your short and a reaquiring costomer, but that's like the only place i know that would do that. i was about to walk away but i was like 50 cents short.
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Mythicalfair

Post by Mythicalfair »

Spirit_Girl01 wrote:can we haggle the dealers? like say something was way over priced and we want to bring the price down a notch would that happen?
I can't speak for all dealers but we've done deals before, usually if someone is buying multiple items. Your best bet to get a vendor to deal is if you are buying a few things and paying in cash (credit card processing comes with fees). Don't ask on Friday or Saturday if we are going to offer Sunday deals. Even if we are we still want to make sales those other two days as well. Some vendors are also willing to offer deals to other vendors, con staff or military personnel.
Mythicalfair

Post by Mythicalfair »

I just wanted to thank you, the system seemed to work fine. We're really looking forward to the show (hopefully some of the snow will have melted by then).
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

To chime in with the discount and haggle subjects: I'm a regular at Comicopia (located in Kenmore Square 3 blocks away from the Hynes). Like all the other vendors, the less merch they need to pack the better. The Manga Liquidation sale they do on Sunday is second to none. While Video Games, Anime and Manga title will be the toughest items to haggle it doesn't hurt to try especially if it's the one copy they have in stock.

Sunday's the day to haggle, especially in the last two hours the room will be open. More so if you're going to volunteer to help with cleanup anyway. While expecting free stuff would be a fantasy, a discount on one or two things in exchange for help packing stuff would be the next best thing ^_^
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Mythicalfair wrote:
Spirit_Girl01 wrote:can we haggle the dealers? like say something was way over priced and we want to bring the price down a notch would that happen?
I can't speak for all dealers but we've done deals before, usually if someone is buying multiple items. Your best bet to get a vendor to deal is if you are buying a few things and paying in cash (credit card processing comes with fees). Don't ask on Friday or Saturday if we are going to offer Sunday deals. Even if we are we still want to make sales those other two days as well. Some vendors are also willing to offer deals to other vendors, con staff or military personnel.
I've been going to conventions long enough to know what people have discounts on Sundays and what don't. I usually get my shopping done on Friday or Saturday because what I want usually runs rather thin (to non existent at least in America) and if that's the case then i may think of haggling someone (But i don't always do it) i only do it if i don't have enough cash on me.

The only time i'd use my debit card at a con is for a big ticket item.

Just so i can visit you guys what venders are you (Can i ask that here?)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Mythicalfair

Post by Mythicalfair »

That is a good point, I've had people come by Friday and scope something out, only to come back on Sunday to buy and we are sold out. I never get annoyed if people ask about deals because you never know unless you ask. Sometimes there is some merch I'd be willing to do a deal on (I overstocked or it's something we're phasing out) and yeah I can be a sucker for a kid who really wants something and is just short a buck or two.

I guess since it's in context of the conversation it's not really a plug. The company name is Mythical Fair (my username). We're the booth with the dragon and fairy statues and the crystal prisms, plus some jewelry and watches. It's usually either my sister and I or my father and I. This year will be tough because Boston is the same weekend as Mid-TN Anime, so we have to split everything up. We've been doing Boston for several years now and really enjoy it. Definitely feel free to stop by the booth and say hi.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Mythicalfair wrote:That is a good point, I've had people come by Friday and scope something out, only to come back on Sunday to buy and we are sold out. I never get annoyed if people ask about deals because you never know unless you ask. Sometimes there is some merch I'd be willing to do a deal on (I overstocked or it's something we're phasing out) and yeah I can be a sucker for a kid who really wants something and is just short a buck or two.

I guess since it's in context of the conversation it's not really a plug. The company name is Mythical Fair (my username). We're the booth with the dragon and fairy statues and the crystal prisms, plus some jewelry and watches. It's usually either my sister and I or my father and I. This year will be tough because Boston is the same weekend as Mid-TN Anime, so we have to split everything up. We've been doing Boston for several years now and really enjoy it. Definitely feel free to stop by the booth and say hi.

i think i got my neckless watch from you guys at CT con a while back (maybe two or three years ago) it's died since then and i may not be able to find it. anyway I used to love the thing. I'd wear it to work as a means to keep track of time since we're not allowed to look at my phone and i hate wearing actual watches. i believe it was only 10$

so you guys are pretty fair (haha-get it cause you have fair in your name? -_-;) on price wise....for some reason i thought you were an anime vender ^^ but i think i know exactly who you guys are....
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Mythicalfair

Post by Mythicalfair »

Could be us, although a few vendors sell watches. No, we aren't primarily anime, we started out doing medieval shows and general sci-fi and drifted into anime (my sister and nephew are fans).

Yes, we do try to be 'fair', no pun intended, and since it is a family business we can all make executive decisions to give someone a deal. Not like we have a boss to answer to who can fire us from the family!