Jdrama/Jpop merchandise in the dealer's room?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
MeliChan
Expert Poster

Jdrama/Jpop merchandise in the dealer's room?

Post by MeliChan »

Hi everyone,

I noticed a bunch of Kpop CDs being sold in the dealer's room. Has anyone spotted any Jdrama or Jpop related merchandise being sold in the dealer's room this year?
My Anime Boston AMVs

2012: Editor's Choice Winner: Evil Island
2010 Best Other AMV Winner: A Walk To Remember
2009 Romance Finalist: Through Thick And Thin
2008 Romance Finalist: My Only Love
2007 Action Finalist: Forsaken

2013 Cosplay
Kotani Nobuko from Nobuta wo Produce
Mirotic
Veteran Poster

Re: Jdrama/Jpop merchandise in the dealer's room?

Post by Mirotic »

I didn't see any native Japanese pop, but if you looked at the KPop table, they had JPop CDs as well (ie. Tohoshinki, a Korean group who are completely fluent in Japanese and function as JPop and Kpop idols. You may know them for singing "Share the World" for One Piece). Other than that, no. Of course, you should take into account the fact that the Jrock music scene is not doing so well. Not too sure why I didn't see any JPop though...
I believe if time passes, everything turns into beauty. If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away. Everything starts wearing fresh colors. Every sound begins playing a heartful melody. Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic. Desire is embraced in a dream. But my mind is still in chaos and..
2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021 / 2022 / 2023 / 2024
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Never really looked, now that you say it Meli. Is there any particular reason? Just curious. If it's a secret, eh, it's fine. :p

Anywho, I remember a few years back, there was a stand selling Jpop and stuff like that. I remember because I specifically had my eyes set on a m.o.v.e CD, but never got it.

Much like Azure said, Jpop/rock/whatever, hasn't been doing so well. I mean, even myself, I fan of it, haven't followed anything since Yossi left Morning Musume some long time back. Doesn't mean I wouldn't pick up a CD (GLAY maybe, I still for some reason adore them) but at the same time, it's not anything I am big into anymore. Funny truth is though, I had another mini phase of it a few weeks ago. It was fun re-living.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
haruka108
Experienced Poster

Post by haruka108 »

The only JMusic I noticed was the booth of the guests in honor one. It's kind of weird there's no Anime related Japanese CDs for sale anywhere at the convention though considering it IS an anime convention...
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

Apart from the general trend of 'music on physical media has not been selling well at all over the past 15 years', I think that because the wholesale cost is so high (effectively .jp retail prices) most people likely find that the cost after some margin added is too high for most people. I say this with basically no hard data to back me up, for whatever it's worth. I've had conversations that amount to 'I'll sell anything that will make a profit', so with that consideration, I'm guessing there's not enough profit in it. Some people that used to sell CDs have 'moved on' to sell other things, too.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!