Pre-reg pick-up wait times? (Thurs specifically)

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
momijizukamori
AB Staff

Pre-reg pick-up wait times? (Thurs specifically)

Post by momijizukamori »

Hey! So I haven't been to AB since 2006 (was living on the west coast for a while), and I have /no/ idea at this point what the wait times in lines are like for picking up pre-registered badges. I'm coming in to the city Thursday for another event in the evening, and was hoping to swing by and get my badge before-hand, but I know the line-up doesn't open until 4, and I'm trying to figure out my timing for running around (and also parking, sob). Any rough estimates based on prior years?
Ruth Hatch
Cosplay Repair Co-Coordinator 2024
Cosplay Repair Coordinator 2023
Cosplay Repair Station Manager 2018 - 2022
Cosplay Repair Station 2015 - 2017
"I make mistakes so you don't have to."
Alicanth
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Pre-reg pick-up wait times? (Thurs specifically)

Post by Alicanth »

Honestly, if you're pre-registered, it takes almost no time at all. They switched over to a much more automated system a few years ago, and as long as you bring I.D. and your registration confirmation with the codes on it it should go really quick. I can't ever remember it taking more than fifteen minutes any time I went to pick up my badge.
AB 2015: Spinel Sun (Cardcaptor Sakura)
AB 2014: Erza Scarlet, ver. Robe of Yuen (Fairy Tail)
AB 2013: Erza Scarlet, ver. Standard (Fairy Tail)/Destiny of the Endless (Sandman)
AB 2012: Aradia Megido (Homestuck)
AB 2011: Timeskip Hyuuga Hinata (Naruto)/Yomiko Readman (Read or Die)/Ennis (Baccano!)
AB 2010: Marie Mjolnir (Soul Eater)/Ennis (Baccano!)/Sanji (One Piece)
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

As long as you don't arrive right when reg opens, the line is very quick.
Kate Harrison
Asst. Merchandising Manager
momijizukamori
AB Staff

Post by momijizukamori »

Alright! I may be there right at 4 because of timing issues, but I'm used to ~1hr min wait times for pre-reg *g*
Ruth Hatch
Cosplay Repair Co-Coordinator 2024
Cosplay Repair Coordinator 2023
Cosplay Repair Station Manager 2018 - 2022
Cosplay Repair Station 2015 - 2017
"I make mistakes so you don't have to."
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Yeah, Thursday, not EXACTLY at 4 is best. I remember, with Otakon being bigger even, I went there in 2012 with friends, and on Thursday, we went to the mall and watched Brave. Had a bite to eat after, THEN got our badges at like....8PM. We literally walked right up to the desk. Not a single person in line (but maybe two at a booth)...

The 4PM pick up is still great though. Mingling with other people, the wait in a line, and all of that... it kind of adds a novelty, and as said, it's still quick. I pre-reg every year.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Post by Mamacass »

My family usually checks into our hotel room, gets dinner in the food court (family tradition) Then goes and picks up our badges, around 6 or 6:30pm. We have never had to wait longer than 10 minutes Total.
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

Oh how times have changed since Linecon at Anime Boston 2008. LOL

But seriously though, the last few years have been really quick in terms of picking up badges on Thursday. Last year, the line went outside the hotel, but I think we only waited like 20 minutes before we finally got in and grabbed our badges.

I must say, AB has done an AMAZING job ever since 2009 in general in terms of keeping registration well maintained.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Kanechan
Expert Poster

Post by Kanechan »

Yeah, the pre-reg redemption line does move rather swiftly once they open up the doors. Word of warning for this year: There may be some showers in the area on Thursday, though not as much as they're predicting for Saturday. Otherwise, come by when you like and enjoy.
Klein bottle for rent; inquire within.
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

We've got contingency plans in place in the event that it rains before we can open registration, you won't have to stand outside.
Kate Harrison
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

Mosquito wrote:We've got contingency plans in place in the event that it rains before we can open registration, you won't have to stand outside.

However in the end there is no reason for you to wait outside. If there is a line and its raining... go do something else, when you come back the line will be gone. There is lots to do in and around the convention center and hotel (which is the primary reason we like the space). Lots of food, lots of shopping, a movie theater and the list goes on and on.

Our Pre Reg on thursday is open until 10pm and after about 4:30 there generally is not a line to pick up your badge, so if you want to wait in line, Great it can be a blast hanging out an meeting people, but if waiting is not you thing, Go have fun and come back, We are still going to be here and there is no prize for the first in line, so go have fun and enjoy boston!
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

I'm hearing it will actually be in the upper 50's on Thursday, which is what we need in general. I'm sick to death of this cold weather.

Unfortunately, it won't be as warm for the weekend, but as long as we don't have any snow, I'll be happy.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

It was still kinda cold last May too though. I remember it being super breezy Saturday evening. Weather is weather.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
AshSkye
Experienced Poster

Post by AshSkye »

My first time was 08 and that had aa line and was not able to go to one till 2011 but that and onwards has been easy. 2011 had a line but only like 15 minutes while 2012 and 2013 had no line at all. Maybe it was timing too since the last two years I did it around the dinner time.
Alicanth

Post by Alicanth »

AshSkye wrote:My first time was 08 and that had aa line and was not able to go to one till 2011 but that and onwards has been easy. 2011 had a line but only like 15 minutes while 2012 and 2013 had no line at all. Maybe it was timing too since the last two years I did it around the dinner time.
In my experience, going around 6ish leads to no wait time at all, likely because, as you said, people are getting dinner. I haven't ever had to get my badge right before the 10pm cutoff, so it might get busier for a few minutes at the end as people frantically try to make the deadline. I could be wrong, though.
AB 2013: Erza Scarlet, ver. Standard (Fairy Tail)/Destiny of the Endless (Sandman)
AB 2011: Timeskip Hyuuga Hinata (Naruto)/Yomiko Readman (Read or Die)/Ennis (Baccano!)
Skylercat

Post by Skylercat »

Just wondering how is the wait for picking up badges Friday morning? Last year our group picked up our badges Thursday night around 6 p.m. and had no lines. Since we are coming in Friday morning I wasn't sure how the lines are.
Alicanth

Post by Alicanth »

I've only had to pick up Friday morning once, a couple of years ago, but if I'm remembering correctly, it took around 30 minutes--45 minutes at the outside. It's definitely doable--nothing like morning-of pickups used to be--and it's a great time to ask for photos, since a lot of people in line will be in cosplay.
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

Last year (as long as you arrive after registration opens, if you're waiting in line for 3 hours because you got there at 6am, that's on you), I believe our longest wait was about 45 minutes.
Kate Harrison
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Last year, I picked up my badge at around 6-6:30pm and my wait time was a grand total of...5 seconds. There was hardly anyone in there so those 5 second was me finding the machine. Hope this helps.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Skylercat

Post by Skylercat »

Mosquito wrote:Last year (as long as you arrive after registration opens, if you're waiting in line for 3 hours because you got there at 6am, that's on you), I believe our longest wait was about 45 minutes.
Well we don't plan on being in line till after 8 a.m., sorry 3 hours in line without coffee is nuts! Thanks for the info!

Alicanth wrote:I've only had to pick up Friday morning once, a couple of years ago, but if I'm remembering correctly, it took around 30 minutes--45 minutes at the outside. It's definitely doable--nothing like morning-of pickups used to be--and it's a great time to ask for photos, since a lot of people in line will be in cosplay.
I honestly didn't think about photo opportunities! That's a good idea and thank you for the info!
writesinwhite

Post by writesinwhite »

Skylercat wrote: Well we don't plan on being in line till after 8 a.m., sorry 3 hours in line without coffee is nuts! Thanks for the info!
So wait, are you asking about Thursday or Friday Badge pickup? Because on Thursday you can't pick up your badge until 4PM. If you are talking about Friday doors open at 8AM but I don't recommend making your way down to the con until closer to 9-10. I've always gotten my badge on Thurs though so I don't know how Fri is.
Skylercat

Post by Skylercat »

writesinwhite wrote:
Skylercat wrote: Well we don't plan on being in line till after 8 a.m., sorry 3 hours in line without coffee is nuts! Thanks for the info!
So wait, are you asking about Thursday or Friday Badge pickup? Because on Thursday you can't pick up your badge until 4PM. If you are talking about Friday doors open at 8AM but I don't recommend making your way down to the con until closer to 9-10. I've always gotten my badge on Thurs though so I don't know how Fri is.
I posted about wait times for Friday earlier in the thread. I had said last year I picked up my badge Thursday night and this year I'm picking it up on Friday morning. :3
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Skylercat wrote:
writesinwhite wrote:
I posted about wait times for Friday earlier in the thread. I had said last year I picked up my badge Thursday night and this year I'm picking it up on Friday morning. :3
I thought you meant Thursday Pickup. Anyway, if it helps, the Dunkin Donuts inside the Prudential is said to open at 6am.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked