Food in convention center?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Gale
Veteran Poster

Food in convention center?

Post by Gale »

Hi, I know in the past food from the Pru mall has been allowed in the convention center (or at least no one ever stopped me from bringing it in), and I just want to double check whether or not that is still the case. Thanks!
Nicole
AB Alumni

Re: Food in convention center?

Post by Nicole »

I haven't had an issue with security not allowing in food and drinks from outside food venues into the convention center, as long as you don't make a mess. I believe the only issue is not being allowed to sell food inside the convention center by anyone other than the approved Hynes food vendor (hence why vendors in the dealers' room can not sell Pocky, etc.).

I would wait for an official word from Con Ops or Security on this, though.
Nicole Peterson
Publications Manager/Graphic Designer
Anime Boston 2010-2016
Supermot
AB Alumni

Post by Supermot »

I'm not aware of any issues bringing food in (as most of the AB staff ends up eating inside the Hynes). If I find out otherwise, I will let you know.
Tom Wilder
Staff Supply Manager 2011-12
Staff Logistics 2013
Merch. Staff 2014-15

Doug's brother 1983-present
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

The only issue they really have is if they see ONE person carrying in more food than one person could reasonably eat.

Crazy I know. The guards seem to NOT get the concept of "my friends are too busy to get the food themselves, so I'm bringing it to them."
tenton
Getting the hang of this...

Post by tenton »

Fetch wrote:The only issue they really have is if they see ONE person carrying in more food than one person could reasonably eat.

Crazy I know. The guards seem to NOT get the concept of "my friends are too busy to get the food themselves, so I'm bringing it to them."
Really? That seems kind of weird; I don't think bringing food for friends is some weird or unusual occurrence; I figure that would be pretty common to have 1 or 2 people grab food for the whole group, rather than have everyone go.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

tenton wrote:
Fetch wrote:The only issue they really have is if they see ONE person carrying in more food than one person could reasonably eat.

Really? That seems kind of weird; I don't think bringing food for friends is some weird or unusual occurrence; I figure that would be pretty common to have 1 or 2 people grab food for the whole group, rather than have everyone go.
From the guard's perspective, the normal thing is for convention goers to go out and visit a restaurant or a bar. Most events at a convention center are geared towards 30-50 year old business professionals trying to network.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
lyraparry11
Veteran Poster

Post by lyraparry11 »

ive come in and out with food every year ive gone and never had a problem. i was asked by a few artists in they alley to keep my coffee away from their artwork though, but thats pretty reasonable.
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Post by Syagria »

Some of my buddies work for vendors, and can't always leave their booths, so during my various circuits, I'll swing by a couple times during the day and ask if they need anything. I almost always end up bringing them all sorts of stuff from Dunkin Donuts. The guards have never given me trouble about it - and some even hold the door for me when they see me coming with my hands full of umpteen million coffee cups.
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright