One week to go... It's go-time!

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Secret Duckie
Veteran Poster

One week to go... It's go-time!

Post by Secret Duckie »

So now that there is but a measly week left before the con, I figured we needed a prep thread to share what we do to prep and our lists for packing, etc. that way people can get ideas from others and make sure we don't forget things ourselves!

So how do you all prep for the con during zero hour and what's your packing list consist of? (I'll post mine tomorrow once I make it up on paper)

Time to get pumped (if you aren't already!)
Starwind
Expert Poster

Re: One week to go... It's go-time!

Post by Starwind »

I just need to pack my costume and some clothes. Next Wednesday night I'm going to my friend's place after work to sleep over. We're leaving on Thursday around 6:00 a.m. (there's about 10 or so of us going). We're staying at a rented apartment a few blocks away from the Hynes.
2006: State Alchemist from FMA
2011: Red Ranger from MMPR
2012: Red Ranger from MMPR
nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Post by nightmareman00 »

......crap the mental clock is back in my head counting down the time 0_o (post my list latter today)
LittleShadowPC
Determined Poster

Post by LittleShadowPC »

I'm am completely packed minus night clothes, undergarments, and things I need everyday; medications, toothpaste, shampoo, toothbrush, face rinse, and etc.

(:

I'm so very excited~

I'll be leaving from my college in NH at 1:00 next Thursday at the latest; arriving in Boston at 3 the latest! (:

(Well, my list is a little large)

-All my cosplays! If I didn't have them it would just be a sad day!
-All my wigs, including their wigs hands and new plastic baggies for each of them on the way there.
-Extra baggie for the wig I am buying at the convention~
-3 wig caps, because one isn't enough.
-My carrier of makeup; there is enough for three girls in there, hehe. (Also all my brushes for makeup and the sponges!)
-All my cosplay shoes, all in their own shoe box.
-Socks!
-A normal set of clothes and a normal set of shoes (just in case, but mostly for the ride home!)
-Undergarments!
-All of my hair products! (Straightener, brushes, hair dryer, combs, and hair ties(plenty of those along with bobbypins!)).
-Wig styling products: Hair spray, gel, tacky glue, and scissors. (One small pair and one large pair)
-Snacks! (Granola bars!)
-Dry breakfast food! (Cereal)
-A small carry along bag for during the convention (Ya know, to hold my wallet, phone, and various other things)
-My Canon camera and its case
-All of my washup supplies, like shampoo, medical cream for my skin, toothbrush, toothpaste, towels, and a washcloth.
-Medications
-A sturdy water bottle
-Glasses, glasses' case, and two boxes of contacts (One box for each eyes. I have daily contacts soooo, yeah)
-A notepad and a couple of pens
-Random time consuming things for the trip down and back, and while waiting for things during the con. This includes my drawing pad, my DS, my Ipod, and a volume of manga or two.
AB '09
AB '10
AB '11
AB '12
AB '13
AB '14

Anime Boston 2015; Get Ready to Battle!

Cosplay Plans~*
Wadanohara- Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea (100%)
Toph- Avatar: The Last Airbender (100%)

(*ノ∀`*)
Domino
Experienced Poster

Post by Domino »

I got:
- My cosplay + props
- 5 Changes of clothes
- PSP + DS
- Portable speaker + mp3 player
- 4 PS3 controllers linked wirelessly to my computer
- My computer :3
- 6 Madoka doujins
- 14.1 megapixel camera
- 3 pax badges
- cords cords CORDS
- essentials (toothpaste, deodorant, etc)

I'm only this ready because I'm going to be in NYC for 5 days before hand too, starting Saturday :D
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Post by Syagria »

Hm. Maybe I should start fretting about the fact that I haven't styled my new wig yet.

Maybe.
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright
ErinErin
Expert Poster

Post by ErinErin »

Before I even start packing I need to do laundry, make some t-shirts, and take inventory of my costume stuff. I also need to figure out what will actually fit in my luggage as I'm flying and don't want to pay to check anything.

Besides the usual travel stuff of clothes, shoes, and toiletries I have to remember:
-camera
-DS and Pokemon games
-chargers for all electronics (phone, ipad, ipod, etc.)
-something to read while traveling/down time
-special shoes for cosplay
-hair supplies for cosplay (pins, elastics, etc.)
-mad libs (they tend to get out of hand at cons)
-registration barcode
-water bottle (I bought the AB one last year, I need to find it)

I'll probably forget to start packing until Wednesday night as usual.
AnimeAnthropologist
Veteran Poster

Post by AnimeAnthropologist »

Ive got prep down to a science now- I can get my bags packed in under 20 minutes, cosplays and all. For me, the biggest challenge is making sure all my panels are in order. This has been made harder this year by the fact that I'm appearing at a con THIS weekend as well.

Oh well, I do love a good challenge in my old age.
Http://www.studyofanime.com Charles Dunbar: Symbolic Anthropologist and Fandom Scholar
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

Post by drgnladysupreme »

I suppose in a way I've already started prepping... Now that I've solidified what costumes I'm taking and how many days I'll be up in Boston I have an idea of what to bring and how much.

- Because I have two wigs that I've rechecked the length, style and such but only want to bring one wig head, I've already gotten those washed, dried and combed out. This way they'll just need a shake-out, some references and to be styled up nice and quickly.
-I'll have to take out the garment bag that'll be long enough for all of my hanging cosplays. Also related, when it's about a few days before I leave I'll give a last ironing to everything that's supposed to go into the garment bag. That way there's less ironing when I get to the hotel room. I'll also get the luggage that I'm using for the weekend cleaned and aired out.
- Two days before I pack about as much as I can. This is generally going into the clothing and toiletries duffel and the garment bag. The night before I pack the bedding bag which is my pillow, mattress pad, blanket, as well as towels and anything that wouldn't fit in the other. Sometimes that ends up being the electronics and larger or more delicate props that need padding around it.
- I double check the directions I have, print out anything that's changed and put that together with my registration confirmation, Hall Cosplay Contest release form and anything else that needs printing out.
- Sometimes it's the night before or the morning I leave, or sometimes I split it up between the two for how much I end up packing. The morning of I'll finish putting the last of things (like my messenger bag and travel snacks) into the car, get breakfast and we'd be off around... 8:30?

As for what's in the bags, aside from what I've mentioned already there's the camera; an extra bag to carry around that won't be too much of a hassle to keep with me; chargers, extra batteries and flash drives; usually something to pass the time; first aid kit along with vitamins, pain killers and anything in case of bad spasms; make up and styling products; and sometimes I'll bring my laptop along. That's a little iffy.
J. Love Tatum
God hustle, 2016! Good hustle.
2017 is gonna be totally rad.
  • Hints will go here
  • For something old and new.
Flemtee
Expert Poster

Post by Flemtee »

All my costume pieces and day-wear are already shipped home now, and I'll be flying out of FL early thursday morning!

I left a few costume pieces behind that I can wear on the plane and put them with the packable items so I don't forget them. These will all be packed away into my carry-on:

- Camera smart card (Camera is already in MA)
- Things for guests to sign
- Music player
- PSP
- Chargers (Thanks to the other lists for reminding me)
- Registration Receipt just in case
- Other things that may be slipping my mind...

and leaving my laptop at home will leave me with plenty of space for all this junk... that, and it's one less thing for customs to check! I'm incredibly excited for this year, can't wait!
Andrew Fleming
Co-Creator/Co-Host of Wicked Anime
AB '16 Press
Co-Host of Wicked Anime Presents: Hardcore Anime! 18+ Panel
Co-Host of My Waifu's Not Weird!

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/WickedAnimeReviews
Podcast - http://nerdyshow.com/wickedanime/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/WickedAnime

Website - http://stickfiguredomain.wordpress.com
marcus81884
Veteran Poster

Post by marcus81884 »

hmmm there alot of things i got to pack for ab

costume and sword
psp dsi and vita
cloths and towel becus i like useding my towel
Chargers of ipod psp dsi and vita
some snacks and stuff
thiet711
Getting the hang of this...

Post by thiet711 »

Wow everyone else seems to be really prepared.
Things I need to do:
-Pack my clothes
-Pick up pants for my cosplay
-Order sun glasses from amazon
-Drop off cosplay at dry cleaners
-Sell my Ipod and DS
-Buy a camera
-Find a ride
-Watch more anime (slugging through Mobile Suit Gundam and Sailor Moon for now)
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Secret Duckie wrote:So now that there is but a measly week left before the con, I figured we needed a prep thread to share what we do to prep and our lists for packing, etc. that way people can get ideas from others and make sure we don't forget things ourselves!

So how do you all prep for the con during zero hour and what's your packing list consist of?
After nine previous ABs, I have the whole packing thingy down to a science. But there are a few extras that have to come with me this year:

Friday's outfit: my AB 2003 blue lanyard, badge, and "I was here first" 2003 pre-reg t-shirt. (The last time I wore it, someone offered me money to take it off my back, and I don't think he was joking...)
Saturday's outfit: my Commander Ikari cosplay; I haven't worn it since my late wife made it for me for AB '06. I even got a new pair of white gloves; the old ones were rather dingy.

Other extras include:

One complete change of clothes more than I need (I've had spills and such in the past)
Bag of anime buttons/lanyards/cloisonne pins
swim trunks for hotel pool (just in case)
Just For Men beard formula (see cosplay above)
digital camera
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
lyraparry11
Veteran Poster

Post by lyraparry11 »

I still have to:
-finish the pants for one costume
-make the pin for another costume
-figure out how to best make my natural hair look like a particular characters (wig did not work out)
-paint my bow
-make an arrow
-possibly make a new bag. ive been wanting to make this particular bag since i went to new york in december, but i havent gotten around to it yet. It would go perfectly with one of my costumes though, so if i can get it done in the next week im going to do it

in the past two days alone, i:
-bought a black vneck tshirt, silver paint, and fabric glue (the last few things i needed to finish my costumes)
-worked on the pants for a costume
-worked on the sunglasses
-made hair extensions
-tried this really great Japanese tea my dad got at the marriot :D (he had some sort of meeting there)
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

Wow, you guys sure pack/prep way more than I do. Reading all this makes me feel kind of lazy, lolz.

We're doing the same thing we did last year, where we drive overnight on Thursday just to avoid paying for another night of hotel. Last year we left Jersey around 12:30 am I think. So I probably will start packing at....midnight. : p

But I generally travel pretty light. One of my other friends puts together a cooler with drinks that we split the cost of. Other than that, all I bring is laptop & charger, cell charger, standard clothes/socks/undergarments, toothbrush & toothpaste, some protein bars, and alcohol. Probably takes me all of 10 minutes to pack, I think.
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
jessikwa
Experienced Poster

Post by jessikwa »

Syagria wrote:Hm. Maybe I should start fretting about the fact that I haven't styled my new wig yet.

Maybe.
Me either. ;-; I feel kind of sick thinking about it. Hopefully going to have it done by this weekend, though. @__@
Attending AB since '09
AK33

Post by AK33 »

Well for me aside from the usual packing of necessary things (documents,clothes,hygiene)...the important thing is not to forget my electronics laptop, phone, camera, accessories, batteries and those pesky small sd cards that seem to be nowhere in sight...sighs :?
danim
AB Alumni

Post by danim »

Well, this year I was very disappointed because I have been unemployed and money is very tight. I wasn't able to afford to make a new cosplay and was scraping together the money to pay for my hotel and trip - when a wild temporary clerical position appeared! So, being March and far too late to start on a new costume, I am salvaging my costume from 2 years ago...certain parts of it didn't survive the convention last time I wore it so that brings me to my todo list.

-I must remake all armour and and my sword that went with my costume. I have yet to buy the supplies yet because I've been so busy. Good thing I am a master at last minute things.

After the big part is out of the way:
-Bank run to pay for hotel
-Pack everything
-Make reservations for my one fancy dinner out

And that should cover it...Better get to the craft store this weekend...
tenton

Post by tenton »

Besides a change of clothes (I tend to bring 1 or 2 more days worth of clothes than # of days I'm going, for emergencies) and my electronics (laptop, camera, related accessories), there's not much else I'm bringing. I plan on buying a case or two of bottle water when I get there (can't take those on the plane anyways) and some snacks (granola bars, trail mix, etc. basically, stuff that can give me energy for when I may have to delay meals around events I want to attend). Well, since Momoi is a guest at this event, there's a whole other set of things I bring, but that doesn't take up that much room. I'm not a cosplayer, so I don't have to worry about that stuff, but I like taking pictures of cosplayers (DSLR, takes up a lot of room, pretty heavy), so maybe that's even. :lol:
dreamer101
Experienced Poster

Post by dreamer101 »

I think the packing will be the easiest thing for me after crunching numbers for the last month. A few unexpected bills took away my tax refund that was meant for AB12. So we lost a night at the hotel and are going for only 2 days. That means less to pack in way of clothes but a bit more in the way of food in order to cut costs. I think the biggest thing I have to do before con is make some oatmeal-raisin-chocolate-nut cookies to take with us.
nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Post by nightmareman00 »

finally have every thing I need just need to pack it all up now

1.clothes/costume + prop
2.toiletries
3.cell,camera and 3ds with game (wonder how many hits I'll get on the street pass)
4.chargers
5.funds (for pretty much any thing that I might like or need)

thats pretty much it for me
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

I haven't decided if it is time to panic yet. We just moved(and by just moved I mean in the past 3 days ^^;), so I am in the middle of unpacking everything from the move, just to have to pack for AB. xD

Wednesday is probably going to roll around and I am going to freak out and become a crazy person. :P

But as for a list I always pack mostly the same things.

-Cosplay (check to make sure I have every part twice.)
-Normal clothes/dance clothes (Wearing your cosplay to the dance can make it smelly.)
-Toiletries
-Extra socks (You never know when you'll need an extra pair.)
-Bathing suit (Trying to do a get together at the Sheraton pool Thurs night.)
-Some years an extra bag for Merch (It sucks trying to fit everything you bought into a bag that's already stuffed.)
-Electronics (PSP, MP3, Speakers, Cell Phone.)
-Chargers (Very important! It sucks to not be able to use something because you can't charge it.)
-Money for just food (It's not good to wander around feeling like crap because you spent all you're food money in the dealers room)
AB'13: Riven (League of Legends)
AB'14: Queen Elinor (Brave)
AB'15: Female Twisted Fate (League of Legends)
Starwind
Expert Poster

Post by Starwind »

Look for the Red Mighty Morphin Power Ranger playing either a 3DS or a Vita. That's gonna be awesome when I'm in line for stuff. I'm leaving the helmet on and everything.
2006: State Alchemist from FMA
2011: Red Ranger from MMPR
2012: Red Ranger from MMPR
nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Post by nightmareman00 »

Starwind wrote:Look for the Red Mighty Morphin Power Ranger playing either a 3DS or a Vita. That's gonna be awesome when I'm in line for stuff. I'm leaving the helmet on and everything.
lol that I can't wait to see
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Less than a week. I still need to hit a store and get my last whatevers I may need. Snacks, hygiene items, and so on. Thankfully, I got most of what I need packed away already. Thursday can't come soon enough. ><
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024