Questions Regarding Prop Swords and Weapons for Costumes

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
lightning3006
I'm new!

Questions Regarding Prop Swords and Weapons for Costumes

Post by lightning3006 »

I am thinking of cosplaying a character that carries several sheathed katanas on his person. I see that the policy says "no bokkens or kendo swords" so i had a question about other wooden swords. I was hoping someone could clarify this:

The swords I am thinking of using are wooden theater prop/decorative swords. The "blade" part of the sword is wooden, about a 1/4" thick, and would almost definitely break upon hard impact with any object. I would like to have it painted a metallic color, but am open to a black/other if needed to pass the rules.

The "hilt" part of the sword is also wooden, standard size, but made of a light plywood like material wrapped in cloth. The sheaths for all of these swords will be made of black-painted particle board, which is sturdy, but obviously not designed to do any damage.

The only time I would probably draw the swords is to pose for pictures, or in a contest, etc.

I understand that no weapon can be pre-approved, but I am wondering historically, if these types of prop weapons have been allowed at Anime Boston.

Thanks in advance!
Staren
Veteran Poster

Re: Questions Regarding Prop Swords and Weapons for Costumes

Post by Staren »

I am not part of AB staff, so this reply is only a fellow attendees opinion. Based on how I've seen this handled, my guess is that you will be allowed to bring them in. However, there is a fair chance that you will be asked to secure them to your costume so they can not be drawn. Because of the material that may not happen, but it's a good bet.

An AB staff member may have a completely different answer.
AB attendee every year since 2010.
TokuBreaker
Veteran Poster

Post by TokuBreaker »

Yeah, I personally don't see a problem, but to quote an AB staff member on these forums "Weapons and props can't be allowed or denied on the forums, you'll have to bring it to security during the convention" but i think the most that might happen is you'll have to have it piece bound.
TokuBreaker
Veteran Poster

Post by TokuBreaker »

now to add my own question, has anyone brought in a nerf sword and had it okay'd? i plan on painting one up and was wondering from personal experiences if anyone had any problems. thankfully my cosplay does not require the sword, BUT it will complete more of the look.
DreamAeris
AB Staff

Post by DreamAeris »

Security loves nerf weapons! (and they still need to be checked) I will advise though, we are unable to approve weapons with out actually seeing them and handling them first hand. If you have to question it though, don't bring it. If you think it will hurt someone at any point in time, don't bring it. It doesn't matter if you say "I won't do this or I won't drop it or I wont' hurt anyone" - don't bring it. Accidents always happen.

Another way to look at it is to ask yourself this: IF you were to hit your best friend with it, what would break first? The weapon on your best friend? Would you even be willing to hit your best friend with it?

I hope this helps answer your questions.
Nikki Jones (Kolosha)

Chief of Staff/ Assistant Security Manager 2018-Current
Assistant Security Manager 2009-2017
Security 2005-2008
Information Desk 2004
Volunteer 2003