Lining up before panels ( and other Panel attendance related questions)

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
SamuraiChe
Getting the hang of this...

Post by SamuraiChe »

[color:purple]I know this may be a silly question, especially coming from a previous con attendee, but how early would you recommended lining up before a panel?[/color]

[color:blue]Also, may one enter a panel halfway through given that there is room for more guests, or leave early?[/color]

[color:green]And finally, if one would want to attend the panel occurring immediately after a panel they had just been in in the same room, could one remain in the room for the next panel to start?[/color]

[color:red]Thank you in advance! I'm hoping I can plan my AB schedule a little more efficiently this year ^^[/color]
AnimeGunner

Post by AnimeGunner »

The rule is that you may line up for a panel no more than 30 minuets prior. If you are caught lining up for a panel before then, you will be politely asked by a con volunteer to come back at a half hour prior to the panel. I believe masquerade is the exception to that rule.

You may enter a panel late if there is room or leave early if you must.

As for staying in the same room for back to back panels, I don't see why not. I have personally gone into a room for a panel early(when there wasn't a line for the next panel) and no one ever kicked me out for the 2 minuets between panels. Hope this helps.
Kagomechan
AB Staff

Post by Kagomechan »

This is not quite true. Some rooms will be cleared between panels. Those will be noted on the schedule. If an 18+ event is next on the schedule the room will be cleared so that Security may check ID's.

The 2 hour limit is for major events in Auditorium and Hall D.
Mary Kaplan
Staff Resource Manager for Anime Boston 2013-2024
Director of Operations for Anime Boston 2006-2012
Secretary 2004-2005
Information Desk Manager 2003-2005
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

Please do not answer staff questions. As demonstrated by Mary's response, attendees often get it wrong and spread misinformation. Questions directed at staff must be answered by staff, and repeat offenders can be banned.

DreamAeris
AB Staff

Post by DreamAeris »

If you are worried any panel could be a big event, the best thing I Can recommend is to line up 1/2 hour before.Do not think that by going into the room you will be allowed to stay there. If you go inside to catch the end of another panel, and there is a line, we will empty the room. Those who are lined up will be allowed into the room.

we understand sometimes there are back to back panels you would like to see, but you do have to work with us. think about how you would feel if you were in line for 1/2 an hour only to be cut by someone else who was just sitting in the room.

Do realize though, we don't have the ability to empty every room, so please do think about it, but if you are ever questioning a situation, line up 1/2 hour before the panel.

Nikki Jones (Kolosha)

Chief of Staff/ Assistant Security Manager 2018-Current
Assistant Security Manager 2009-2017
Security 2005-2008
Information Desk 2004
Volunteer 2003
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

...and you can ask the person checking badges at the door if the room will be cleared or not. Most of them don't bite. :)
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
JReckers
AB Staff

Post by JReckers »

Room clears will be (and are) on the schedule, and the signage outside of rooms. If it doesn't say 'room clear' or 'id check,' the room won't be cleared.

edit: unless of course there's a huge gap between events.
Jeff Reckers
Special Projects 2019
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

And do be aware that there may be last minute changes. So if there's a panel or event you really want to see, check the sign at the room it will be in about an hour before, to see if what you want to see has been changed to be sooner or later.

One year I missed the 18+ADG because they sat it and closed the doors 40 minutes before it was scheduled.