Anime Boston Merch!

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by MerchMaven »

Now that the new year is here, I am once again requesting imput as to what you want to see at the Anime Boston merch table!

If you have a suggestion of something you'd like to see, something you've seen elsewhere, or something that you think we've overlooked, please let me know. Please don't mock or belittle other people's suggestions, everyone has different tastes, and even if a suggestion is impractical or close to impossible, there's no harm in putting the idea out there.

On the same note, please don't be offended if your idea doesn't get used. We have a limited budget, and we can only stretch it so far. As awesome as those limited edition figurines of A-Chan and Infobot might be, I can't quite make it work with my budget restraints.

Things we'll definately be offering:

-T-Shirts!
-Pins!
-Water Bottles!
-Buttons!
-Reusable tote bags!

Things we CAN NOT sell, due to Hynes regulations:

-Stickers!
-Food!

Keep in mind that this year's theme is music! Any concert/band related merch you can think of will likely be welcome!

Thank you in advance for your help, guys!
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by basharoftheages »

I really liked the thicker aluminum bottles from last year. Those cheap flimsy plastic ones with the crush-able aluminum tops from 09 were garbage though.

I'll take this time to chime in before dokool and suggest towels (the long hand towel things that bands sell) if you're going with the music/band theme.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
lyraparry11
Veteran Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by lyraparry11 »

Last year I suggested (or agreed to someone elses suggestion of) hoodies, but you guys didn't think it would be possible on your budget. I'm guessing that's still the case(?) but it can't hurt to suggest it again.

Another (probably more realistic) suggestion is folders. The strong, laminated, two pocket kind, with AB logos/mascot art/whatever on them. They'd be good for people buying artwork at the con, and for those of us that are still in school.
President Aria
Veteran Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by President Aria »

I can't remember the year, it might have been '09, heck it might have been last year, but I liked the shot glasses. Plus I just bought a condo this year, and every house should have a good selection of shot glasses!
Fetch
Show-off

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Fetch »

the glasses were WAY back. 2005 (first year at the Hynes)

I'm thinking we may see them again in 2012, for that will be the 10th AB. Oh yes, I'm sure merch and prog will be doing a LOT for AB 2012. And then even more for AB 2027 (25th AB that will be).
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=lyraparry11]Another (probably more realistic) suggestion is folders. The strong, laminated, two pocket kind, with AB logos/mascot art/whatever on them. They'd be good for people buying artwork at the con, and for those of us that are still in school.[/quote]

Ooh, I'll second the photos recommendation.

Also: magnets! And maybe keyrings!
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by dokool »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges]I'll take this time to chime in before dokool and suggest towels (the long hand towel things that bands sell) if you're going with the music/band theme.[/quote]

People will have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a link to my collection. Sadly under-updated but that should give you an idea. Bands here mostly do face towel and muffler towels in terms of sizing... but it's a must-have accessory.
autumnwolf
Veteran Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by autumnwolf »

I also like the band towel and folder ideas! :thumbup:
*2018 Cosplays*
Victor Nikiforov, Professor Ozpin, K-San;
Past Cosplays: Erza Scarlet; Motoko Kusanagi;Urd;Rin Okumura;Matatabi;Nina(Chimera!);Olivier Mira Armstrong;Soshi Miketsukami;Toshiro Hitsugaya;Hatsuharu Sohma;Washuu;Balsa;Yugito Nii;Yoruichi Shihouin;Ion Fortuna;Nanao Ise
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by BlackSunRising »

[quote=Fetch]the glasses were WAY back. 2005 (first year at the Hynes)
[/quote]

There was also a shot glass this past year (2010) -- black ceramic with a white design.
stray-x
Veteran Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by stray-x »

Since this year's theme is music, how about guitar picks with the Anime Boston logo? The reverse side could feature the mascots A-chan and B-kun. :)
danim
AB Alumni

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by danim »

I second the towels and a huge :thumbup: to folders!

I'll chime in with more suggestions when I have time to use more brain power since I was going to suggest those things when I first opened the thread lol!
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Phantom 1 »

Okay, food I can understand but stickers :-/

Anywho, I remember when I went to see AKB48 in New York City ("NEW YORK CITY?!" Sorry couldn't help myself) and they were selling (or maybe passing out for free, I forget) but they had little pieces of cloth or fabric with the AKB48 logo. How about something like that?
Fetch
Show-off

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Fetch »

The Hynes doesn't want anyone selling stickers, because they think EVERYONE is a little kid and will stick the stickers to the walls.

Heck, they won't even allow AB to tape a sign to a wall. Hynes rules are rather draconian.
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

i like the the fabric idea, or iron on patches then the buyers could do virtually anything with them.
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by AliceTanzer »

[quote=Fetch]The Hynes doesn't want anyone selling stickers, because they think EVERYONE is a little kid and will stick the stickers to the walls.

Heck, they won't even allow AB to tape a sign to a wall. Hynes rules are rather draconian.[/quote]

Judging by what happened when we had the long line issues a few years ago, I'm gonna go with the Hynes on this one.
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
DAX
Expert Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by DAX »

LANYARDSSSS

I like to attach key chains, badge buddies, buttons etc. to my badge, and the heavier it gets, the more painful that itty bitty strap on the badges gets :<
The wider strap would be more comfortable :<
and also people can put keys on them :DDDD
Celty77
Getting the hang of this...

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Celty77 »

I second patches, and suggest headbands, bandanas, and pencils! It would be really cool to go around with an AB headband or bandana on your head, as well as AB stationary. :D
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=AliceTanzer][quote=Fetch]The Hynes doesn't want anyone selling stickers, because they think EVERYONE is a little kid and will stick the stickers to the walls.

Heck, they won't even allow AB to tape a sign to a wall. Hynes rules are rather draconian.[/quote]

Judging by what happened when we had the long line issues a few years ago, I'm gonna go with the Hynes on this one.[/quote]

Yeah, the problem is that while the vast majority (if not everyone) on the forums is a level-headed individual who would never do that, there are also a large number of people at the con who act like little kids regardless of their age and would probably think it hilarious (if they even think about it at all). Better safe than sorry, in this case. Not fun, especially when a lot of artists could make extra money on stickers if it was allowed, but them's the rules.
tylerofmaine
AB Staff

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by tylerofmaine »

[quote=Fetch]The Hynes doesn't want anyone selling stickers, because they think EVERYONE is a little kid and will stick the stickers to the walls.

Just to reiterate what Alice said... Everyone at con IS a little kid, and everyone WILL stick them to the walls.

Trust me, I used to be that kid!
Tyler van Drell
Assistant to the Director, Operations Division
President Aria
Veteran Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by President Aria »

[quote=BlackSunRising]

There was also a shot glass this past year (2010) -- black ceramic with a white design. [/quote]

Well there we go, I was wondering how else I'd have gotten my hands on one since I wasn't around for 2005. Anyways, I'm a fan of those, and perhaps instead of just the plain AB logo on it, it could have the theme picture on it. If it's at all feasible, although since it was apparently 5 years in between the last time shot glasses came about, perhaps those are costly.
yunaofparadise
Dedicated Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by yunaofparadise »

Here are my ideas:

How about a mini photo album? Where we can store all the great memories of the convention into photos!

Glow sticks
Bottle opener
wristbands w/ mascots on them!
scarf w/ mascots on them!
stress balls
oh and a pin/magnet idea!! but it goes for any type of merch. "I survived Anime Boston 2011" Phrase
what-the-spork
Determined Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by what-the-spork »

[quote=yunaofparadise]Here are my ideas:

How about a mini photo album? Where we can store all the great memories of the convention into photos!

Glow sticks
Bottle opener
stress balls
oh and a pin/magnet idea!! but it goes for any type of merch. "I survived Anime Boston 2011" Phrase[/quote]
I like these ideas. :)
what-the-spork
Determined Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by what-the-spork »

[quote=tylerofmaine][quote=Fetch]The Hynes doesn't want anyone selling stickers, because they think EVERYONE is a little kid and will stick the stickers to the walls.

Just to reiterate what Alice said... Everyone at con IS a little kid, and everyone WILL stick them to the walls.

Trust me, I used to be that kid![/quote]
I wouldn't, but I would love to. : D
lyraparry11
Veteran Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by lyraparry11 »

I agree with yunaofparadise, wristbands (the rubbery kind, like livestrong bracelets, not the sweatband things they sell at hot topic) would be awesome.
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Phantom 1 »

Okay I get the picture. I just wanted to know the logic behind outlawing stickers. It makes sense now.
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

[quote=lyraparry11]I agree with yunaofparadise, wristbands (the rubbery kind, like livestrong bracelets, not the sweatband things they sell at hot topic) would be awesome.[/quote]
i agree with this, like have them say 'anime boston 2011'
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

to go with the music theme you could guitar pics.
also an anime boston themed guitar could be raffled and people buy raffle tickets untill sunday.
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)
danim
AB Alumni

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by danim »

[quote=yunaofparadise]Here are my ideas:

Glow sticks
Bottle opener
stress balls
oh and a pin/magnet idea!! but it goes for any type of merch. "I survived Anime Boston 2011" Phrase[/quote]

I like most of these ideas! :) However, I would like to add...

How about a KEYCHAIN BOTTLE OPENER?! I would buy one for everyone I know.
turpentiney
Veteran Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by turpentiney »

@danim: O: I'd buy one for everyone I knew and everyone I didn't!
AB 14:
Armin Arlert
(進撃の巨人/Attack on Titan)
Mirai Kuriyama (境界の彼方/Beyond the Boundary)
Yui Komori (DIABOLIK LOVERS)
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by chaobunny »

How about those little string backpacks? They're inexpensive and always seem to come in handy. :)
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by MerchMaven »

[quote=Chaobunny]How about those little string backpacks? They're inexpensive and always seem to come in handy. :)[/quote]

The string backpacks are startlingly expensive, at least in the small batches that I would have to order. I doubt anyone would pay the price I would have to charge for them. But we will be offering reusable con bags, and for the first year, we'll be setting up a mini-merch station in the reg area! If you want to pick up a bit of swag on Thursday nights, that's now a possiblity.

Guitar Picks: We got you covered. They will be epic and adorable in equal parts.

I am surprised by the interest in the bottle opener keychains, I will check into them and see if I can get a small batch at a reasonable price.

Please continue to suggest things, guys, I appreciate your imput!
Kerry Walker
ryoko
Experienced Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by ryoko »

If you can't have stickers could you have window clings or magnets something people could put on there vehicles? If someone stuck them anywhere in the con the staff could just take them off without ruining anything?
Chrissii
Determined Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Chrissii »

I don't post often, but just thought I'd add my two cents. I think lanyards, shot glasses and bottle openers are fabulous ideas.

Edit: Oh and magnets! I collect magnets from all over everywhere I go, so it would be cool to add to my collection.. ^^
Proudly attending Anime Boston since 2005!

2007: Haruhi Suzumiya (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
2008 & 2009: Dawn (Pokémon Diamond & Pearl)
2010: Byakuya Kuchiki hoodie (Bleach)
2011: Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
2012: Grell Sutcliff (Black Butler)
2013: Vice Captain Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Master of NERV »

[quote=DAX]LANYARDSSSS[/quote]

Yes, lanyards! :thumbup: Good, thick ones, too--like the ones Geneon donated for AB'04.

I use that very lanyard year after year; only a vest beats it for displayng your cloisonne pin collection.

A vest...hmmm...there's another idea for merchandise (but I concede it would be pricey...)
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Eilonnwy »

Believe me, I wish sponsors would keep donating nice lanyards! Unfortunately, when you have to pay for them yourself, and reg costs are already high, you have to go cheap.

But at least we'll never go back to shoelace lanyards.

Those are days best forgotten!
yunaofparadise
Dedicated Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by yunaofparadise »

Though of some new ideas.

Paper fans: cause when u run around a con...:P

AB photo frame: best cosplay photo goes here!
Reusable shopping bag: there are ones where u can fold it small and can fit in your pocket.

Fake tattoos: No one is gonna waste time putting it on the con wall right?

keychain plushies: sell like hot cakes?!! XD

Key covers: example ---->
http://www.manufacturer.com/cimages/pro ... _cover.jpg

Deck of cards: AB style

Bubble pen: http://www.promotional-gifts-inc.com/up ... n-2873.JPG

iPod skins:
http://www.decalgirl.com/assets/items/i ... -blssm.jpg

Money holder: http://www.groomsonline.com/store/graph ... /GO210.jpg

Some of these items could be expensive, but I was bored, and ideas poped up! ^_^
Risikafox
Veteran Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Risikafox »

I want A-chan and B-kun plushies! ;)
Willowoflight
AB Alumni

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Willowoflight »

[quote=Celty77]I second patches, and suggest headbands, bandanas, and pencils! It would be really cool to go around with an AB headband or bandana on your head, as well as AB stationary. :D [/quote]

Props to the bandannas idea. :thumbup:
Natalie Hazen
Convention Operations Staff 2010-2013
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Phantom 1 »

I saw a picture of Vic Mignonga the other day and then it came to me: AB buckets, plastic buckets, you know, for drooling fan girls. :laugh:
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

[quote=Phantom 1]I saw a picture of Vic Mignonga the other day and then it came to me: AB buckets, plastic buckets, you know, for drooling fan girls. :laugh: [/quote]
oh my god I LOVE YOU
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=Phantom 1]I saw a picture of Vic Mignonga the other day and then it came to me: AB buckets, plastic buckets, you know, for drooling fan girls. :laugh: [/quote]

While at it, how about:

Anime Boston Pillows - For people fainting when they see, meet, or even shake hands with someone they like.

Anime Boston Nose Plugs - When Pigpen visits the con.

Anime Boston Butt Protectors - When the Yaoi Yakuza come, you are prepared.

Anime Boston Sunglasses - When you go across the street to get a bite to eat, wear these in your costume, and no matter how crazy you might look, people will think you are cool.

Anime Boston Jack - Get stuck behind a tall guy at an event? Put one of these under his chair, and your worries are over.

Anime Boston Backguard - "IT'S SASUKE!" *SLAM!*

Anime Boston Official Greg Ayres Action Figure - With a baby hate T-shirt and hair changing action!

Anime Boston Chris Ayres in a Sippy Cup of Doom plushie - For soft drinks.

Anime Boston audio language book - Yah guide to Bahstan's language, voices come in Patrick D. and Adam Ferraro.

Anime Boston ducttape - Does this need a reason?

Anime Boston Illusion Glasses - Vic Mignogna isn't here? Buy a pair of AB's Vic Glasses. Want Romi Paku? They got you covered! With Illusion glasses, everybodyza dere.

Anime Boston Rockem Sockem Robots - Anime Boston this year or Stay home for Easter? It's the Easter Bunny VS an interchangable staff of Anime Boston people. Winner get's your hand....in the festivities!

The joke ones aside, the plushie gave me an idea...... why not test run plushies of A-Chan and B-Kun one year?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by MerchMaven »

While I appreciate the humor, guys, I really need this to stay on topic for things we can produce/sell. Buckets, while funny, would not sell well to the general con population, no matter how we marketed them.

Please stick to the topic, and from this point on, any further "That's so funny!" type posts will be deleted so I can keep track of what needs to be read. You've been warned! :content:
Kerry Walker
Sayoria
AB Staff

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=SciFiGrl47]While I appreciate the humor, guys, I really need this to stay on topic for things we can produce/sell. Buckets, while funny, would not sell well to the general con population, no matter how we marketed them.

Please stick to the topic, and from this point on, any further "That's so funny!" type posts will be deleted so I can keep track of what needs to be read. You've been warned! :content: [/quote]

I said all jokes aside, and gave a real response though, if you missed it. I think A-Chan and B-Kun plushies could really be cool. If we have them all over shirts and cups and stuff, why not actual plushies? :P....... and hey, I would buy a Greg Ayres action figure. ;)
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by MerchMaven »

Plushies are always a popular request, and one that I, personally, would love to see, as well as mascot marquette statues. But both items are prohibitively expensive in small batches, and would either have to be handmade, which doesn't lend itself to a consistant product, or we'd have to order several hundred.

AB isn't big enough to warrent it yet, but with the growing rise of creator content, like webcomics, prices are dropping. I'll keep in mind for the future. 8)
Kerry Walker
Sayoria
AB Staff

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Sayoria »

Yeah, I figured as much, but it seemed to be a token thing for mascots of all kinds, you know? You can find plushies of almost any mascot you can think of, so, figured, why not AB? As you said, maybe when it gets bigger and it could be for a future idea. Regardless, it would be great in the end, if it ever happens.
redneckotaku

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by redneckotaku »

A couple of serious ideas for Merchandise ideas I would buy:

-Sweatshirts. Boston has some cold nights in spring and a sweatshirt would be nice for them.

-Polo Shirts-For those who work in Business Casual environments, this would be a nice way to show their fandom for AB. I have also seen them at Otakon.
IAmValor
Getting the hang of this...

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by IAmValor »

I approve of the polo shirt idea. I would totally wear an AB polo to work on a regular basis (so long as it was a red shirt).
lyraparry11
Veteran Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by lyraparry11 »

[quote=IAmValor]I approve of the polo shirt idea. I would totally wear an AB polo to work on a regular basis (so long as it was a red shirt).[/quote]
This gives me the idea of different colored tshirts! Obviously you could have mostly black/white/grey and then some that are maybe pink, light blue, navy blue, red, and some other basic colors? Or even just blue and orange because they seem to be the AB colors? Preferably not royal blue though, because it seems like every other events tshirt that's not white/black/grey is royal blue and Im rather sick of it (and others would probably agree).

Ok I'm probably getting too picky here...
lyraparry11
Veteran Poster

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by lyraparry11 »

[quote=Yukito Kunisaki]Anime Boston Pillows - For people fainting when they see, meet, or even shake hands with someone they like.[/quote]

okay so the reasoning might just be silly, but could you actually have those little couch pillows...like those very basic pillows they have in giant bins at ikea? I'm doing a terrible job of describing something simple, I apologize.

Or, if not that, maybe standard pillow sized pillow cases?
Fetch
Show-off

Anime Boston Merch!

Post by Fetch »

[quote=lyraparry11][quote=IAmValor]I approve of the polo shirt idea. I would totally wear an AB polo to work on a regular basis (so long as it was a red shirt).[/quote]
This gives me the idea of different colored tshirts! Obviously you could have mostly black/white/grey and then some that are maybe pink, light blue, navy blue, red, and some other basic colors? Or even just blue and orange because they seem to be the AB colors? Preferably not royal blue though, because it seems like every other events tshirt that's not white/black/grey is royal blue and Im rather sick of it (and others would probably agree).

Ok I'm probably getting too picky here...[/quote]

Blue is AB STAFF. Orange and Red are AB SECURITY.

I myself am hoping the 2011 shirt will be gray. The shirts have been black each year except 2006 where they were gray.