Is it possible to start a petition here

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Onipuck
Veteran Poster

Post by Onipuck »

Because I would like to voice my annoyance with the no sign rule.
It's not because I've had several signs taken from me last year(which, was a tad annoying, since I had to make them visible and all I had was lined notebook paper and a mechanical pencil, so it took time to do so), I'm outraged by the fact that pretty much all the signs I've seen have been completely harmless.

If you cannot get rid of the no-sign rule, at least change it so that the harmless ones such as "Free hugs" don't get taken away.
Wii Block Her

Post by Wii Block Her »

[quote=Onipuck]Because I would like to voice my annoyance with the no sign rule.
It's not because I've had several signs taken from me last year(which, was a tad annoying, since I had to make them visible and all I had was lined notebook paper and a mechanical pencil, so it took time to do so), I'm outraged by the fact that pretty much all the signs I've seen have been completely harmless.

If you cannot get rid of the no-sign rule, at least change it so that the harmless ones such as "Free hugs" don't get taken away.[/quote]

As seen Here #8 on The Anime Boston 2011 rules of conduct [quote]# Anime Boston prohibits signs or other materials that can be interpreted as solicitation or panhandling. This includes signs such as "Hugs for a Quarter", "Free Glomps", or "Donate to a Poor Catgirl". As a result, all signs will be confiscated and may be destroyed by Anime Boston staff. Exceptions may be made if it can be proved that a sign is part of a costume, such as a screen capture from the show with the text on the sign. (Photoshop edits do not count.)[/quote]

Unfortunately a free hugs sign would be taken away as this violates the rule above. If it was something pertaining to your cosplay then it would not get taken away.
Jen Legay
Security Auditor 11,12
Security : 03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11

At this time we are not hiring any Ninjas.
However, we are growing and things are always changing so please
continue to be in touch
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

[quote=Onipuck]...the harmless ones such as "Free hugs"...[/quote]

Funny that BPD didn't agree that a sign like that was 'harmless'.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=pulsedemon][quote=Onipuck]...the harmless ones such as "Free hugs"...[/quote]

Funny that BPD didn't agree that a sign like that was 'harmless'.[/quote]
Well... it could be construed as (an admittedly very tame) form of prostitution. That would be bad PR all around.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Post by MerchMaven »

The real problem is calling a sign 'harmless' is a judgement call. So who makes the judgement?

Context makes the difference. Is it still mild or harmless if the person holding the "free hugs" sign is dressed in a very skimpy costume? Or does that change the 'meaning' of the sign?

Also, really, it's not a good idea to admit to breaking the rules in a repeated and willful manner. Please note rule 17:

[quote]Please follow the directions of the Anime Boston staff and security. They are there to make your experience more enjoyable, not to hinder or hurt you. Anyone who refuses to comply with any reasonable requests asked by any member of Anime Boston staff/security or Hynes/Sheraton staff/security will be subject to removal from the convention. [/quote]

If you are told not to do something, don't do it. You're very lucky that no one talked to you twice, or brought your behavior to the attention of the security heads, or you may have found your con experience cut very short.
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
Mara
AB Alumni

Post by Mara »

I think that the people who make the signs offering hugs or candy or whatever simply want to make friends and chat with people, and the best way to do that is to enjoy the convention: go to panels, go to workshops, start a conversation with someone who has a good costume, etc. What other reason is there to hold a sign that says "hug me?" Only logical reason is that you're looking to attract attention. I'd ask how else you can get the reaction/result you want other than by doing something that's against our rules. There are better ways to have people give you their attention than holding up a notebook-paper sign offering hugs.
Mara K.
Staff Alumna, 2003–2018
JReckers
AB Staff

Post by JReckers »

The correct authorities to be making this petition to can be found here.

The signs can be considered unlawful. Anime Boston is not the law. The BPD is. Take your petition to the people that have the authority to make the judgement call.
Jeff Reckers
Special Projects 2019
SilentRose
Experienced Poster

Post by SilentRose »

Some signs I saw last year were kind of, hurtful in a way I guess? "Free Hugs for other pretty people"
If someone went to hug them, and said ew, I think that would be cruel and hurtful to those people.
emokid2112
Getting the hang of this...

Post by emokid2112 »

Alright guys i actually looked up. and as defined by the Massachussets statue of law, solicitation is defined “Solicit” or “solicitation” is defined as “any direct or indirect request for a contribution on the representation that such contribution will be used in whole or in part for a charitable purpose.”

so in theory they shouldnt be able to take them away :p
emokid2112
Getting the hang of this...

Post by emokid2112 »

wait no i read that wrong, my bad, yeah they have the ability to take them. and i do agree with them allowing it if it is part of the cosplay. so see in theory they are allowing the signs, but they are making them stay true to the conventions purpose of anime and gaming. personally i see no problem with them not allowing the signs, but allowing them to be used if it pertains to the cosplay
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

[quote=emokid2112]Alright guys i actually looked up. and as defined by the Massachussets statue of law, solicitation is defined “Solicit” or “solicitation” is defined as “any direct or indirect request for a contribution on the representation that such contribution will be used in whole or in part for a charitable purpose.”

so in theory they shouldnt be able to take them away :p [/quote]

Actually if you were to read the entire law, "non public charities" (AKA someone with a sign)would be required to register for a Certificate of Solicitation with the state of Massachusetts.
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

[quote=emokid2112]wait no i read that wrong, my bad, yeah they have the ability to take them. and i do agree with them allowing it if it is part of the cosplay. so see in theory they are allowing the signs, but they are making them stay true to the conventions purpose of anime and gaming. personally i see no problem with them not allowing the signs, but allowing them to be used if it pertains to the cosplay[/quote]

We DO permit signs that are part of cosplay, so long as you supply a screenshot of said character with the sign.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

What about signs that are not physical? Such as:

"What's up people?!" *Yes, I poked at Death Note here, and I am not a fan*
"Party line!" *I see a line every year*
"Duck duck goose under escalators at 5:00PM!"
"The game!" *Always one of these guys*

See, those ones aren't physical, so how about those? I myself, don't use signs, but if it isn't a touchy sign, or an offensive sign, I would think that would be okay game, but I am going to say, someone will down on that one, because a sign is a sign.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Wii Block Her

Post by Wii Block Her »

[quote=Yukito Kunisaki]What about signs that are not physical? Such as:

"What's up people?!" *Yes, I poked at Death Note here, and I am not a fan*
"Party line!" *I see a line every year*
"Duck duck goose under escalators at 5:00PM!"
"The game!" *Always one of these guys*

See, those ones aren't physical, so how about those? I myself, don't use signs, but if it isn't a touchy sign, or an offensive sign, I would think that would be okay game, but I am going to say, someone will down on that one, because a sign is a sign.[/quote]

The answer is No. With those signs they tend to cause more hassle & annoyance to others (yelling you Tom Selleck'ed it up, marco.. polo, random screams and harassment due to said signs). So with reference to our rules if they don't pertain to your cosplay, then we don't allow it.
Jen Legay
Security Auditor 11,12
Security : 03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11

At this time we are not hiring any Ninjas.
However, we are growing and things are always changing so please
continue to be in touch
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

You said it best yourself: a sign is a sign.

To be blunt, it's very difficult for staff members to go and read each individual sign that people may have. It's just not possible. By outruling all signs except ones that are verifiable as part of a cosplay, it prevents any complications with both staff and the police department.

What everyone is forgetting is that the Boston Police Department maintains a presence at AB. You may not always see them, but they are there. It is Massachusetts State Law that forbids solicitation and is the jurisdiction of the police to make sure that these laws are upheld. Some of our policies, including those about weaponry, are written based on law, Convention Center rules, etc. These are not things that AB is able to change.