Weapons Policy

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
ElderOfNar
Experienced Poster

Weapons Policy

Post by ElderOfNar »

Hello,

Elder here asking a question.

Why is your security staff inconsistent with the weapons policy?

I was informed by my friend that she was unable to allow a wooden baseball bat into the con after a bit of walking around with it she decided to get it checked to be a good kid and not to sneak around with it. Denied use of the prob on the spot. One older woman in security quoted mass state law about solid wooden bats in your weapons policy. She was wrong and when she said it could be used as a weapon and cause harm, i said then there needs to be a ban on all wooden weps due to the fact that most sword and dagger and blade replicas have semi to sharp edges can be use to poke or other large wooden props could be used as clubs as well. Yes they said no solid wood objects, but i saw MANY MANY people walking around with wooden props that were bigger and could be used as a bigger club or "blunt" object. Eventually a security manager was called after I caused a scene in front of everyone in the security room which I admit to doing only after there was an inconsistency in the mass state law, your cons weapon policy, and what I could view was being enforced while walking around the con seeing large wooden props worse then the bat allowed in. I felt more comfortable talking to her which calmed down my mood, though she did show nothing that said a bat could not be used and just basically said no. If you choose to ban "SOLID WOOD" objects please have them stated in your hope to be revised weapons policy. I mainly caused the scene due to the fact it was nowhere stated that it could not be used in the convention center. If this change is made I will gladly accept it and be very thankful that your rules are clearly stated.

Have a good night and thanks for a good convention outside of this incident :-D Please bring someone just as big or bigger the Uematsu next year XD....or bring him back :-p
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Weapons Policy

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=THE RULES]
•Weapons prohibited under Massachusetts Law & MCCA/Hynes policy
•Practice swords including bokens and kendo bamboo practice swords [/quote]
A baseball bat would fall under this category. Basically, it is because it is a HEAVY, SOLID piece of wood which you could use to bludgeon someone to death. Most of the wooden swords I saw (my own included) were thin and would break before they bludgeoned someone.

Causing a giant scene with security helps no one. You reacted in an immature manner to people who are 1. volunteers and 2. just trying to do their (NON-PAID) job as well as they can.

If security tells you you can't carry your weapon, you should man up and bring it back to your room - or, you know, check the rules beforehand and bring a weapon which couldn't be used to kill someone. You could just as easily have bought a smooth plastic wiffle ball bat and painted it.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
tangkevin88
Experienced Poster

Weapons Policy

Post by tangkevin88 »

I don't know what kinda of flimsy wooden sword you use, but even thin ones (all bokkens are almost all the same thickness anyway) can do plenty of bludgeoning damage. If anything, because there is less surface area to distribute the force of a swing, I'd argue that it is in fact even more damaging than a baseball bat. Quoting the prohibition of wooden sword and then saying many carried it around, despite the regulations against it doesn't help your argument. The whole rule is stupid anyway. A weapon is only a weapon if the user chooses for it to be. Bare hands can be deadlier than wooden swords depending on the intent.
Nosut
Veteran Poster

Weapons Policy

Post by Nosut »

[quote=tangkevin88]I don't know what kinda of flimsy wooden sword you use, but even thin ones (all bokkens are almost all the same thickness anyway) can do plenty of bludgeoning damage. If anything, because there is less surface area to distribute the force of a swing, I'd argue that it is in fact even more damaging than a baseball bat. Quoting the prohibition of wooden sword and then saying many carried it around, despite the regulations against it doesn't help your argument. The whole rule is stupid anyway. A weapon is only a weapon if the user chooses for it to be. Bare hands can be deadlier than wooden swords depending on the intent.[/quote]

Unless I read it wrong I remember them stating that bokkens are also forbidden so comparing to that does not help much. Also weapons can still be weapons without the user wanting them to be. I might just show you a knife and if you fall on it right you will still die or be very injured. A gun can drop firing off a round and kill someone so just because you don't mean to do something things can still happen.
There where things there that I feel where more deadly then a baseball bat yes. But as said you could have simply gotten a 2 dollar plastic bat and used that. Also causing a a disturbance to people that are not being paid and simply help out is a pretty immature thing to do. Ever think that just asking to talk to someone higher up might have worked? (If you did then ignore that but you said you created a disturbance)
stardust462
Determined Poster

Weapons Policy

Post by stardust462 »

[quote=tangkevin88]The whole rule is stupid anyway. A weapon is only a weapon if the user chooses for it to be. Bare hands can be deadlier than wooden swords depending on the intent.[/quote]
It's not a rule. It's the LAW. There is a difference. I understand your point, but it goes above Anime Boston.

And the wooden swords Kiarrens were probably referring to were ones people made, not practice swords. Those are usually made of something like plywood. Most larger weapons are usually made out of something like insulation.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Weapons Policy

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=tangkevin88]I don't know what kinda of flimsy wooden sword you use, but even thin ones (all bokkens are almost all the same thickness anyway) can do plenty of bludgeoning damage. [/quote]
That's exactly my point. I made my sword to be con-safe - it is 1/4" thick (pine) and EXTREMELY flimsy. I wouldn't bring a bokken to a con, because I know that it would not pass security. I would suggest employing similar foresight about your props in the future, instead of causing undue amounts of stress to volunteers who are already stressed out enough volunteering THEIR time to make YOUR con a better experience.

/end rant
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Weapons Policy

Post by dokool »

[quote=ElderOfNar]Eventually a security manager was called after I caused a scene in front of everyone in the security room which I admit to doing only after there was an inconsistency in the mass state law, your cons weapon policy, and what I could view was being enforced while walking around the con seeing large wooden props worse then the bat allowed in.[/quote]

[quote=ElderOfNar]Eventually a security manager was called after I caused a scene in front of everyone in the security room which I admit to doing only after[/quote]

[quote=ElderOfNar]I caused a scene in front of everyone in the security room[/quote]

And this is why your argument is invalid.
ElderOfNar
Experienced Poster

Weapons Policy

Post by ElderOfNar »

[quote=Kiarrens][quote=THE RULES]
A baseball bat would fall under this category. Basically, it is because it is a HEAVY, SOLID piece of wood which you could use to bludgeon someone to death. Most of the wooden swords I saw (my own included) were thin and would break before they bludgeoned someone.

Causing a giant scene with security helps no one. You reacted in an immature manner to people who are 1. volunteers and 2. just trying to do their (NON-PAID) job as well as they can.

If security tells you you can't carry your weapon, you should man up and bring it back to your room - or, you know, check the rules beforehand and bring a weapon which couldn't be used to kill someone. You could just as easily have bought a smooth plastic wiffle ball bat and painted it.[/quote]

Yes I saw the mass state law, and the baseball bat was not there as stated when I was on my god awful rant in security. My main argument here is just tune your wording on your wep policy so that it states it and towards other SOLID WOODEN WEPS as well where this was not stated. Do this and i'll be content with how the con is being run. You can make the changes to your policy not the law i understand but, if you choose to enforce a rule make sure all the staff is on equal terms with enforcing it and let Hynes convention staff know as well as they are the first to see us with our props. I fully support rules trust me as someone in aquatics management I must for the safety of others. If you could make that change and fine tune your "rule" towards wooden props and weapons I will be happy. Just make sure that it is followed and not so loosely enforced as it was in the '10 year.

Edit: apologies also for lack of return button being hit and capitalization being used, as you know, we are all tired >_> esp without sleeping yet XD
Wii Block Her

Weapons Policy

Post by Wii Block Her »

[quote=ElderOfNar][quote=Kiarrens][quote=THE RULES]

If security tells you you can't carry your weapon, you should man up and bring it back to your room - or, you know, check the rules beforehand and bring a weapon which couldn't be used to kill someone. You could just as easily have bought a smooth plastic wiffle ball bat and painted it.[/quote]

Yes I saw the mass state law, and the baseball bat was not there as stated when I was on my god awful rant in security. My main argument here is just tune your wording on your wep policy so that it states it and towards other SOLID WOODEN WEPS as well where this was not stated. Do this and i'll be content with how the con is being run. You can make the changes to your policy not the law i understand but, if you choose to enforce a rule make sure all the staff is on equal terms with enforcing it and let Hynes convention staff know as well as they are the first to see us with our props. I fully support rules trust me as someone in aquatics management I must for the safety of others. If you could make that change and fine tune your "rule" towards wooden props and weapons I will be happy. Just make sure that it is followed and not so loosely enforced as it was in the '10 year.

Edit: apologies also for lack of return button being hit and capitalization being used, as you know, we are all tired >_> esp without sleeping yet XD
[/quote]

Hi,

This is that Security Asst Manager you spoke to in Security.

First our policy is here : Click click

In this we have to adhere to MA state law,Hynes & Sheraton rules & regualtions As well as anything else that we might deem as something that will do harm or cause issues.

I quote "Any other potentially harmful weapon/prop as determined by Anime Boston Security. "

We leave this open ended since we can not approve any weapon until we have it in our hands at con. If we don't think its safe then that's it. Its not that were trying to be mean. We want everyone to have a super time. Were doing this for your Benefit no one else's.

Now as far as other people walking around the con with swords,bats & a Boat oar as examples trust me we got them.

Next time if you have a question may i advise that you do not cause a commotion and just ask for a Red Shirt.

I am sorry you feel this way and i hope your next time at AB will be a better one.
Jen Legay
Security Auditor 11,12
Security : 03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11

At this time we are not hiring any Ninjas.
However, we are growing and things are always changing so please
continue to be in touch
Upaut
I'm new!

Weapons Policy

Post by Upaut »

Its actually a combination of the law, and convention center policy. See, Mass have Laws against "Improvised weapons", (Short stabbity objects, anything lethal, bedposts, etc. Basically it is a law of Observed and Predicted Intent.) but we have Laws protecting wearing a sword (It was fashionable for Lawyers and the rich to wear swords when the laws were drafted, you just need a permit. Though even though its not against the law, that does not mean you will not get shot if a police officer sees it. It just means after reviewing your death, you were in the right.... Like the Open Carry laws in some areas.) In that case it is the convention center policy to not allow long stabbity objects. In both cases, it was not so much as an inconsistency, as there were so many weapons that shouldn't be there, and the security caught them as they noticed them.

When making your weapon, I think a security person I heard put it best: "I love weapons that will break before the person." And if you love a wooden bat, its easy to make one that is safe, good looking, and legal.... A bit of 3/4 pvc, wrap it in pipe foam, and on that wrap open cell pillow foam until you have differing thicknesses in a bat shape. Cover in light tan duct tape (or even better, wood print duct tape. It exists.... Or, tan or silvery kite tape.). Stab it a few times all over with a fork (not needed with kite tape). Wrap your handle with some leather handle wrap. Boom, you have a "boffer" bat. This bat can be used to run around beating your friends for hours (with consent), and you won't go to prison.... And You can do it cheaper than buying a wood bat.... Or more, depending on how soft, realistic, and durable you want it. If you want it to be "really wooden, you use the harder camping mat style foam all over, and paint it with liquid latex, and paint to look like wood grain. You can make it look "exactly" like a wooden bat, and its still not lethal.... Though a full swing of that hurts a bit more, and can even bruise if hard enough and often enough....

Personally, I don't blame the weapon policy. I think it was better this year than others, and better handled than at some conventions. Heck, at one point, in a time long ago in a galaxy far away, a Marriott had an issue with some of my luggage. I had a sword -live steal for medieval reenactment, peace bound. And a nerf gun. I was told by management I had to turn in the nerf gun due to hotel policy. The sword was fine.
guiiii
AB Staff

Weapons Policy

Post by guiiii »

Hello,

This topic has already been beat to death but I feel I should post this any way...
I hope you are calmer now than you were Saturday. I was the one who asked your friend to put away the bat after she showed up in Security HQ. While I know that the bat was part of her costume, I did not do that to be a jerk. The reason I asked her to put it away was because accidents happen.
I certainly believe that she had no intentions of hitting anyone with that bat; however, when you look at the bigger picture, that bat could, accidentally, seriously hurt somebody.
I would like you to picture this scenario: Saturday night at the masquerade, your friend is sitting on the front row seats of the balcony, and by some inexplicable reason the bat falls from the balcony and hit someone in the head, what would happen then? Or maybe your friend is just going up the escalator and again, the bat falls off and hit somebody. I believe that in both cases the person getting hit by the bat would be seriously trouble.
These are some of the things that go through my mind when checking weapons. And trust me, these are some bizarre worst case scenarios, but guess what? It's happened before. Thankfully not with a baseball bat, it was something much lighter, but still, it did some damage :(
Here's a very simple but effective advice to you or anybody else who plans on bringing weapons to a con. Hit yourself on the head for real with that weapon, if it hurts then think twice about it.

Our aim in Security is to provide a safe con experience to all attendees. I do apologize for your friend, and I really hope I didn't make her con experience less enjoyable, but sometimes we have to do what we think is best for all the people and not just one person.

Regards,

Gui
Always tell the truth, even if you have to lie
Guilherme Z. Machado
AB Security Assistant Manager
06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-X-X-23
Cowboy
Veteran Poster

Weapons Policy

Post by Cowboy »

Well said Guiiii!

Even though security answered this well I would like to offer a one more scenario that was not brought up by anyone.

If someone takes your bat, or sword, or whatever and commits a crime with it who do you think is partially responsible? You provided a means for someone to endanger people or damage property. It does not matter if an incident happens accidentally, or deliberately, or if it is you or someone else that causes it. It also does not matter if there "is almost no chance of that happening" or not. You are creating a scenario that has a likelihood of people or property getting damaged.

[quote]I made my sword to be con-safe[/quote]

Kiarrens has the right idea! She put other's safety first.
She limited the use and effectiveness of the weapon therefor granting it limited use at the con.

And if I can offer a couple of suggestions to you ElderOfNar.
Create a mold of the bat, and craft a ultra lightweight hollow poly or fiber bat and dye or paint it the color of wood. Drill structure weakening holes into it so it falls apart if swung or used for other than holding.

Or craft a bat out of light weight foam. Paint or dye it to look like wood.

You can find tons of crafting supplies at Michaels, and JoAnn's. (And Home Depot and Lowes if your REALLY creative!!!)
nagash
Veteran Poster

Weapons Policy

Post by nagash »

I'll double that point. In MA, if your weapon is used to committ a crime (especially a firearm), you go to jail along with the guy who committed the crime.
I ask you, is it worth the possibility? I hope not.

Please, if you have any doubt in your mind on whether said weapon you want to bring may cause a problem or be mistaken for a real one, leave it at home. You're doing yourself a favor by doing so.
Silvered Fox
Getting the hang of this...

Weapons Policy

Post by Silvered Fox »

I agree with making things con-safe. Especially if you think about CARRYING said weapon or prop all day long... you really want it lighter than solid wood anyways XD

It does seem extreme but they do try their best to make sure everything's evaluated fairly and falls within the laws.
YokoKuwabara
Experienced Poster

Weapons Policy

Post by YokoKuwabara »

I have a question. I have a wooden sword that I plan on using next year for my cosplay. I chose it because it has a dragon carved in along side the blade, and I figure that would go pretty good with my character. I don't believe its a bokken or a practice sword, but more as a thing for decoration. It weighs less than 2 pounds and when I hit my head with it,it sounded semi hollow. I'm still going to get it checked, but i'm just curious what you guys think about it. Oh, and it has a tiny tip with a point, but it could easily be dulled down. Oh and the blade rounded. Also, I could snap the sword over my knee, showing its hardness or lack thereof
aznmedic
AB Alumni

Weapons Policy

Post by aznmedic »

It's a bit early to ask that. We are reworking the weapon policy so can't really answer that now. Ask again later, about 3-4 months out.
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Weapons Policy

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

@YokoKuwabara: i had made wooden weapons (rikku FFX-2) and i had two wooden wave sowrds that went up to my hip, so i think youd be fine.
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Weapons Policy

Post by MerchMaven »

[quote=Kylie McAwesome]@YokoKuwabara: i had made wooden weapons (rikku FFX-2) and i had two wooden wave sowrds that went up to my hip, so i think youd be fine.[/quote]

This question was addressed to staff, and is being handled by staff. Please do not add your opinion to the matter, it may confuse other attendees and cause issues at con.

Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Weapons Policy

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

@ SciFiGrl47 sorry, i was just trying to help a brothah out.
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)