"A few stuff I'd like to see next year"

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

I'm putting this is shopping list format. I wouldn't mind paying extra for 'em but I know I can't speak for everyone. I'm numbering them but that in no way means any should be more important than any other.

1. A more organized Video Game Room: Seriously, it looks exactly what it looks like: Some guys just threw TVs, arcade machines and games systems in the room like they were made of foam in nonsensical fashion. On top of that, everything only takes up HALF the room (what gives?) and yes, I'm aware the room and the one next to it is set up like the Dealers Floor below it.

Suggestions: Set up the TVs on Tables instead of stages. You can rent them relatively cheap at most places--my favorite Non-profit uses them all the time. Also, how about some some anime video game companies be allowed to set up booths in the room to show off what's coming uo later in the year? BlizzCon was announced recently and of course, E3 is coming up this summer. If said companies had liasons at AB, that'd be good PR for them and AB. Subtle things like that.

2. A designated break room: Yes, I know there's a hotel next door (as well as a dozen others nearby) but not all Con goers such as myself are from out of town. There's also attendees who have small children, are pregnant or (for lack of a better term) disabled/elderly. I read the thread that asked about napping and that's not what I'm asking for.

Suggestions: Set up a small room or two as quiet rooms or family rooms. These are places where people can sit for a bit and rest from fatigue, etc. To keep people from getting the wrong idea, people are limited to 45 minutes. In additon, persons trained in emergency response or security can be stationed in the room. No Food/Drinks, no loud noise/talking, etc. To keep people from "abusing" the room's purpose, people will have to sign in and out of the room and they can only use it twice a day unless they have a medical condition, physical handicap or they're pregnant/elderly. Oh, and of course the Break Room would be optional. It's there if people have need of it.

3. Groups, Clubs and Organizations: How about adding something to registration for people who are affiliated with a specific group or club? It would make meetups much easier and shouldn't really cost anything extra. I myself and the owner and operator of a website. On top of that, I was trying to meet up with members of the Phoenix Wright fansite Court Records. This being the internet, I know how much about myself shouldn't be broadcast for all to see.

Suggestions: One or two people from a specific group are in charge of meetup. How about adding the name of the group or club to lanyards? Also, how about setting up a database/list for these groups so that numbers can be tracked? While it's obvious this begs the question "So, what? What does AB get out of this?", it's good PR for both the known and unknown groups/clubs out there attending the Con. For the known groups, this would show attendees AB recognizes said groups and for the unknown groups, it gives them a bit of exposure. Of course, ultimate responsability of the group's meetups are in the hands of the point people.

4. Meals and refreshments: This isn't what it looks like. As a local, I'd want people to go out and sample the food than stay in the Hynes/Sheraton all weekend. How about allowing the nearby restaurants to set up shop in the Hynes? It would be good PR for 'em and of course, would be optional. People could still go to the Food Court if they so wished.

Suggestions: Restaurants/Businesses interested would have to reserve a booth/room/space several months in advance. Weather or not the business wants to charge people or AB (probably the former) for their services would be up to them. If they go with the latter, AB can charge us extra at registration. I'm not 100% sure if the Hynes would allow food to be cooked on site but if not, it would fall to the restaurants to handle that (bring in food precooked, etc.). The way I see it, options would be a nice change from what the Food Court and Cafe in the lobby offer--I know for sure not that many/enough people ventured outside the mall for food and it's to be expected if you're not from the area.

5. Press, News and Fandom Coverage Sites/Companies: How about a designated area for them? We all know every single anime and video game under the sun have fansites and Wikias. How about base for their press/media people? This would help everyone. I mentioned it twice already but I'm from Court Records, a Phoenix Wright fansite. Unless it's announced beforehand, people won't know if there will be coverage unless attendees took pictures, etc.

That's it from me. When I get home from Con and the Celtics game, I'll probably add more. Anyone can post their own suggestions, of course ^_^
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

#2 and #3 are right outside of the vendor hall on the long hallway. Parent's break room and club meeting room.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Pham
AB Staff

Post by Pham »

I'll respond to 4 and 5.

4) Restaurants and Food. Local area restaurants are able to offer samples to attendees. Last year, Qdoba and McDonald's were on site to give samples. The rules of the Hynes is that restaurants are limited to a 2 oz sample per person for food sample. As a point of references, it's much smaller than a samples that you would find in a super market. (Think 3 chips and a half of a spoonful of sauce.)

5) Press. There is a designated Press room for interviews. Press need to be pre-approved by Anime Boston a month before the convention before using it. Approved press outlets are newspaper, television, radio and online outlets. See http://www.animeboston.com/press/index for our guidelines. Since we have our Guests of Honor doing interviews there, we do not publicize its location to non-approved press or attendees.
Tuan N. Pham
Asst Director of Public Relations, AB 2017, 2018
Director of Public Relations, AB 2007-2016
Raffi_Rave_Master
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Raffi_Rave_Master »

Personally i would like to see Stereos allowed
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Post by Syagria »

[quote=Raffi_dance_Master]Personally i would like to see Stereos allowed[/quote]

I would not. To have even 20 or 30 people wandering the hallways with unnecessary blaring boomboxes all competing to be the loudest in an environment already crowded with noise and people and echoing acoustics? No, thank you. People shouldn't have to scream in a friend's ear to make themselves heard.
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright
Raffi_Rave_Master

[quote=Syagria][quote=Raffi_dance_Master]Personally i would like to see Stereos allowed[/quote]

I would not. To have even 20 or 30 people wandering the hallways with unnecessary blaring boomboxes all competing to be the loudest in an environment already crowded with noise and people and echoing acoustics? No, thank you. People shouldn't have to scream in a friend's ear to make themselves heard.[/quote]
You say that it is unnecessary, but so is Cosplay. If it is maintained as to not be destructive, I don't see why people can't have their fun.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Raffi_dance_Master]You say that it is unnecessary, but so is Cosplay. If it is maintained as to not be destructive, I don't see why people can't have their fun.[/quote]
The problem is the noise factor. Yes, people can be noisy too, but a boombox is a continuous noise, as opposed to talking. One boombox? OK.... but the more you add on to that, the louder that low background hum becomes, until it becomes a disruption to panel rooms, video rooms, main events, etc....
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Cowboy
Veteran Poster

Post by Cowboy »

Back in 09 I was working in the dealers room as an assistant at the Halolz booth. A guy with a stereo came by blasting what he must have thought was good music and drove away business in the area.

Same thing happened at CTCon in 09 a guy with a stereo went walking around at one point blasting his horrible music.

Jezzy
Expert Poster

Post by Jezzy »

[quote=Raffi_dance_Master][quote=Syagria][quote=Raffi_dance_Master]Personally i would like to see Stereos allowed[/quote]
I would not. To have even 20 or 30 people wandering the hallways with unnecessary blaring boomboxes all competing to be the loudest in an environment already crowded with noise and people and echoing acoustics? No, thank you. People shouldn't have to scream in a friend's ear to make themselves heard.[/quote]
You say that it is unnecessary, but so is Cosplay. If it is maintained as to not be destructive, I don't see why people can't have their fun.[/quote]

I consider a boombox blasting music that I don't like and that I can't turn off very destructive to my ears.
Raffi_Rave_Master

[quote=Jezzy][quote=Raffi_dance_Master][quote=Syagria][quote=Raffi_dance_Master]Personally i would like to see Stereos allowed[/quote]

You say that it is unnecessary, but so is Cosplay. If it is maintained as to not be destructive, I don't see why people can't have their fun.[/quote]

I consider a boombox blasting music that I don't like and that I can't turn off very destructive to my ears.
[/quote]
But it can be maintained as to not be blasting. Also if you dont like the music then you can ask the person to turn it off. Personally i am very respectful, and if someone really doesnt want to hear it i will care.
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Post by Syagria »

[quote=Raffi_dance_Master]But it can be maintained as to not be blasting. Also if you dont like the music then you can ask the person to turn it off. Personally i am very respectful, and if someone really doesnt want to hear it i will care.
[/quote]

There are a lot of people who are NOT respectful, however, and will not turn down/off music when asked (nor am I interested in having to interupt my own con enjoyment by repeatedly asking others to turn their stereos down). Put 4 people in the same echoing hallway with boomboxes and you no longer have any discernible music, just cacaphony and noise pollution. If you want music, that's fine - put on your earbuds/headphones/whatever and enjoy it. But your right to listen to your music does not override my right to NOT have to hear it - just like someone's right to smoke stops does not override MY right to breathe unpolluted air.
Anime Boston Cosplays:
Raffi_Rave_Master

[quote=Syagria][quote=Raffi_dance_Master]But it can be maintained as to not be blasting. Also if you dont like the music then you can ask the person to turn it off. Personally i am very respectful, and if someone really doesnt want to hear it i will care.
[/quote]

There are a lot of people who are NOT respectful, however, and will not turn down/off music when asked (nor am I interested in having to interupt my own con enjoyment by repeatedly asking others to turn their stereos down). Put 4 people in the same echoing hallway with boomboxes and you no longer have any discernible music, just cacaphony and noise pollution. If you want music, that's fine - put on your earbuds/headphones/whatever and enjoy it. But your right to listen to your music does not override my right to NOT have to hear it - just like someone's right to smoke stops does not override MY right to breathe unpolluted air.[/quote]
Then kick them out of the con, the fact that they cant follow the rules shouldn't ruin my enjoyment
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Post by Syagria »

[quote=Raffi_dance_Master]Then kick them out of the con, the fact that they cant follow the rules shouldn't ruin my enjoyment[/quote]

In which case... everyone with boomboxes would be kicked out. I'm totally cool with that.
Anime Boston Cosplays:
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Post by troublemaiker »

the problem with that is while you may be respectful and turn it down if someone complains, most people will not.

I did see a lot of people with boomboxes this convention and I remember seeing one group of little girls (they honestly looked 12ish) and one of them finally got up the nerve to ask the guy to turn down his music.
he yelled at them, said he didn't have to listen to them because they weren't staff. (I then saw a staff member who witnessed this go over and take care of it)
But if you give an official "ok" on boomboxes, that can lead to a horrible misuse by lots of people :(

Especially with all the channers who go to the conventions with their only goal to troll/annoy people...I couldn't see this going over well -_-
Raffi_Rave_Master

[quote=Raver Gaara]the problem with that is while you may be respectful and turn it down if someone complains, most people will not.

I did see a lot of people with boomboxes this convention and I remember seeing one group of little girls (they honestly looked 12ish) and one of them finally got up the nerve to ask the guy to turn down his music.
he yelled at them, said he didn't have to listen to them because they weren't staff. (I then saw a staff member who witnessed this go over and take care of it)
But if you give an official "ok" on boomboxes, that can lead to a horrible misuse by lots of people :(

Especially with all the channers who go to the conventions with their only goal to troll/annoy people...I couldn't see this going over well -_-
[/quote]

Then Ban stereos but give exceptions
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Raffi_dance_Master]
Then Ban stereos but give exceptions[/quote]
The problem with this is, if they give an exception to one person, all the other people will want exceptions too.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote=Raffi_dance_Master][quote=Raver Gaara]the problem with that is while you may be respectful and turn it down if someone complains, most people will not.

[/quote]

Do you think staffers have time to review everyone's personal case for having a boombox?
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
Raffi_Rave_Master

[quote=Kiarrens][quote=Raffi_dance_Master]
The problem with this is, if they give an exception to one person, all the other people will want exceptions too.[/quote]
then they should gain the trust of the con before hand.
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Post by troublemaiker »

[quote=eidna]
Do you think staffers have time to review everyone's personal case for having a boombox?
[/quote]

con goer - "I promise to only use this to play my theme music softly and respectfully, to turn it down if asked and only while in this one costume"

staff - "well that seems alright, you're good"

con goer then goes off and blasts music, not doing what they promised to do at all.

So before anyone says it would be like checking a weapon, not it will not. weapons you can't lie about and get away with. the people that check weapons know what to look for and will not approve a dangerous weapon with the promise of "I wont hit anyone"
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote]con goer - "I promise to only use this to play my theme music softly and respectfully, to turn it down if asked and only while in this one costume"

con goer then goes off and blasts music, not doing what they promised to do at all.

So before anyone says it would be like checking a weapon, not it will not. weapons you can't lie about and get away with. the people that check weapons know what to look for and will not approve a dangerous weapon with the promise of "I wont hit anyone"[/quote]

Exactly. Aside from the time it'd take, it's a recipe for disaster. Cosplay has a place in a convention, as there are more than a few events centered around it. Why do you need a personal boombox? Chances are, 99.9% of the people around you don't want to hear your music. Even if it's "softly" playing. I know I don't.
If it's part of a cosplay, sign up for the masquerade - then a ton of people will hear your character theme song.
Raffi_Rave_Master

[quote=eidna][quote]con goer - "I promise to only use this to play my theme music softly and respectfully, to turn it down if asked and only while in this one costume"

So before anyone says it would be like checking a weapon, not it will not. weapons you can't lie about and get away with. the people that check weapons know what to look for and will not approve a dangerous weapon with the promise of "I wont hit anyone"[/quote]

Exactly. Aside from the time it'd take, it's a recipe for disaster. Cosplay has a place in a convention, as there are more than a few events centered around it. Why do you need a personal boombox? Chances are, 99.9% of the people around you don't want to hear your music. Even if it's "softly" playing. I know I don't.
If it's part of a cosplay, sign up for the masquerade - then a ton of people will hear your character theme song. [/quote]
This is not true, from my experiences alot more people enjoy my music then dislike it, and like to get involved.
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Post by troublemaiker »

[quote=Raffi_dance_Master]
This is not true, from my experiences alot more people enjoy my music then dislike it, and like to get involved.[/quote]

thats you though, and like everyone is saying, not everyone will be like you. if you are given an exception, then people will want one too, just like what everyone has been saying.

another point that was brought up, if people dont like the music, it tends to drive them away. so even though you may have gotten a bunch of people liking it, you may have even driven even more people away.
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

It all comes back down to the fact that you are not the only one who wants to play music. More than ten thousand people attend AB each year. Imagine the noise if ALL of them decided to bring boomboxes and "play them quietly".
GABE_NEWELL

Post by GABE_NEWELL »

Mods keep bawwwleeting my posts :(
(posts removed: 5)
The BRO

Post by The BRO »

Sure is deleted posts in here.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

It'll be deleted accounts if you don't watch it.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

This thread was started as a means of constructive criticism for the convention. Please keep it on topic or it will be locked.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Freyawazhere
Determined Poster

Post by Freyawazhere »

Id actually like to see if it would be possible to make a list of when and where photoshots are.

It wouldnt be to hard to have a thread where people would say "this is the time and place for our shoot on this day."

The only other thing is that while the snack amchienes were a convience it was wrong to charge 2.75 for a soda. 1.50-1.75 seems better.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

This is probably beyond the scope of the con but I'd like to see more personal responsibility by attendees in the Prudential food court. Throwing away trash appeared to be an issue (but that's could be true of anyone), but the Marco Polo calls were unnecessary and often made it impossible to have a conversation.

There was also the issue of cosplayers with huge props taking up tons of seats, and I know that's less avoidable but just something to watch out for.
Wii Block Her

Post by Wii Block Her »

Well here is the issue at hand... now work with me on this.

I dont see issues with mp3 players or small speakers to do your dancing/para para in the hallways and what not.

What i do have a issue with is when you have a boombox you blast your music and then create a "mob/group/following" that causes a disturbance to the panels & people around. Not everyone wants to hear music.

So in my honest opinion, i dont think we will allow boomboxes to be blasted at AB.
Jen Legay
Security Auditor 11,12
Security : 03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11

At this time we are not hiring any Ninjas.
However, we are growing and things are always changing so please
continue to be in touch
Eimi
Show-off

Post by Eimi »

[quote=Freyawazhere]
The only other thing is that while the snack amchienes were a convience it was wrong to charge 2.75 for a soda. 1.50-1.75 seems better.[/quote]

That has nothing to do with us, that's all Aramark (the official food vendor of the Hynes) I just walked to walgreens or Shaws to get my beverages :)
Freyawazhere
Determined Poster

Post by Freyawazhere »

[quote=Eimi][quote=Freyawazhere]
The only other thing is that while the snack amchienes were a convience it was wrong to charge 2.75 for a soda. 1.50-1.75 seems better.[/quote]

That has nothing to do with us, that's all Aramark (the official food vendor of the Hynes) I just walked to walgreens or Shaws to get my beverages :)[/quote]

Mkay, I just ended up finding bubblers. But still...
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote=dokool]This is probably beyond the scope of the con but I'd like to see more personal responsibility by attendees in the Prudential food court. Throwing away trash appeared to be an issue (but that's could be true of anyone), but the Marco Polo calls were unnecessary and often made it impossible to have a conversation.[/quote]

Not to mention rude to the businesspeople/tourists/etc also sharing the food court. I know you can't police the attendees, but...maybe a code of conduct(aka "how to not piss off the non-congoers around you") in big print in each reg bag? ;)
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=eidna][quote=dokool]This is probably beyond the scope of the con but I'd like to see more personal responsibility by attendees in the Prudential food court. Throwing away trash appeared to be an issue (but that's could be true of anyone), but the Marco Polo calls were unnecessary and often made it impossible to have a conversation.[/quote]

Not to mention rude to the businesspeople/tourists/etc also sharing the food court. I know you can't police the attendees, but...maybe a code of conduct(aka "how to not piss off the non-congoers around you") in big print in each reg bag? ;)
[/quote]

Nobody would read it. At AAC we print it on the back of our badges (at least we did at one point and may still do). Or you could have people sign it when they come to pick up their badge? Unfortunately you can't teach otaku how to not be idiots.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

[quote=Freyawazhere]Id actually like to see if it would be possible to make a list of when and where photoshots are.

It wouldnt be to hard to have a thread where people would say "this is the time and place for our shoot on this day."[/quote]

Cosplay group photoshoots are generally not organized by Anime Boston, and as such are left to the discretion of the members of each group. There is a Cosplay Group and Gatherings subforum in the Masquerade forum where most groups discuss meet up times and locations.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Post by troublemaiker »

[quote=Freyawazhere]Id actually like to see if it would be possible to make a list of when and where photoshots are.

It wouldnt be to hard to have a thread where people would say "this is the time and place for our shoot on this day."[/quote]

...there is a thread like that every year o.o

or do you mean have it printed out and at the info desk? ...although I think they do that too...
Synaizen
Veteran Poster

Post by Synaizen »

There's a thread in the Masq subforum for photoshoots every year. It's up to the organizers of each cosplay group (Bleach, Naruto, DNote, etc.) to inform the thread administrator where/when they'll be meeting.

Also, I printed out a couple flyers, and put them on the info desk bulletin boards to promote the Bleach photoshoot. Again, it isn't AB's responsibility to organize photoshoots.

As for criticism, I'd agree with most of the points above. When he mentioned clubs, he didn't mean a club meeting room; he meant an ability to, say, include a group on your Badge so others could identify you. If you meet someone on the interwebs, you won't be able to recognize them in real life (most of the time).

Also, can we PLEASE combine the live game & video game room? We only filled half of the game room this year, and it was annoying going into the Sheraton for live gaming. Why not have half of it set up for video games and tournies, and the other half for Magic, YuGiOh, etc? It would save space and increase traffic to the area.
Eimi
Show-off

Post by Eimi »

[quote=Synaizen]

Also, can we PLEASE combine the live game & video game room? We only filled half of the game room this year, and it was annoying going into the Sheraton for live gaming. Why not have half of it set up for video games and tournies, and the other half for Magic, YuGiOh, etc? It would save space and increase traffic to the area.[/quote]

They've always been separate because of different fandoms and because of noise concerns. That's also why LARP gets its own space some years.
Freyawazhere
Determined Poster

Post by Freyawazhere »

thats exctlly what I ment
Because alot of people dont come on the forums.
BBoyDragon13
Expert Poster

Post by BBoyDragon13 »

I just wanted to see more of the um I cant remember her name but she was at like every main event at AB 09 the artificail girl that would say funny stuff I only saw her at the VGO PRE SHOW
B-Boy Dragon from Anime Breakers

Contacts
www.facebook.com/BBoyDragon13
www.facebook.com/animebreakers
Jantine
Experienced Poster

Post by Jantine »

[quote=Aurabolt]
3. Groups, Clubs and Organizations: How about adding something to registration for people who are affiliated with a specific group or club? It would make meetups much easier and shouldn't really cost anything extra. I myself and the owner and operator of a website. On top of that, I was trying to meet up with members of the Phoenix Wright fansite Court Records. This being the internet, I know how much about myself shouldn't be broadcast for all to see.

Suggestions: One or two people from a specific group are in charge of meetup. How about adding the name of the group or club to lanyards? Also, how about setting up a database/list for these groups so that numbers can be tracked? While it's obvious this begs the question "So, what? What does AB get out of this?", it's good PR for both the known and unknown groups/clubs out there attending the Con. For the known groups, this would show attendees AB recognizes said groups and for the unknown groups, it gives them a bit of exposure. Of course, ultimate responsability of the group's meetups are in the hands of the point people.
[/quote]

A few notes on this:

1) We do keep a database of groups, guests, dealers artists ect. It was a list so we are able to see everything that we needed to see about each group.
2)As for putting the names of the group on the badge that is up to the group to do. When you sign up for pre registration we ask what you would like to have as your badge name. A group is able to put thier group name as the badge name so they are easily reconized. Thier full name will still be on the badge in small print on the bottom.
3) If we had a seperate place to pick up badges for school groups or something that would mean that they would have to wait in yet another line. We got through the lines pretty quickly this year. Trust me I am pretty sure I can talk for the atendees and say they would rather not have another huge line :)
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Post by Syagria »

[quote=Jantine]We got through the lines pretty quickly this year. Trust me I am pretty sure I can talk for the atendees and say they would rather not have another line con :)[/quote]

A note on this - registration was BRILLIANT this year. I picked up my badge Thursday night, and it was so quick. I entered the parking garage at 5:03 (according to my paystub) walked to the Sheraton, and had my badge in hand by 5:35. Half an hour to whip through that many people = awesome!! I've never had a con reg line with that many people in it move so quickly before. Fantastic job. Juggling 17,200 attendees so efficiently deserves a round of applause!

So, suggestion for next year? DON'T change the registration process!
Anime Boston Cosplays:
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Post by troublemaiker »

[quote=Syagria]

So, suggestion for next year? DON'T change the registration process![/quote]

seconded. I was in and out of registration and I just ended up staring at my badge going "when did i get this o.o? "

Not sure if it was just the time i picked it up that caused this, but i was surprised since the space was smaller than last time and it looked like there were fewer booths, but that may have just been due to the space it was in. so yeah, freakin awesome job guys!
Jade_Falcon
AB Alumni

Post by Jade_Falcon »

[quote=B-BOY_DRAGON13]I just wanted to see more of the um I cant remember her name but she was at like every main event at AB 09 the artificail girl that would say funny stuff I only saw her at the VGO PRE SHOW[/quote]

Would you be referring to Cali? The AB AI which monitors the Preshows? If so we apologize as Cali had her hands full with fixing the good professor yakamoto and his horrendous attempts to "improve" the convention this year.
Kilgamayan
Veteran Poster

Post by Kilgamayan »

[quote=dokool]This is probably beyond the scope of the con but I'd like to see more personal responsibility by attendees in the Prudential food court. Throwing away trash appeared to be an issue (but that's could be true of anyone), but the Marco Polo calls were unnecessary and often made it impossible to have a conversation.[/quote]

As long as we're suggesting things, I'd suggest banning Marco Polo, Buttscratcher and similar memes outright, for reasons similar to why stereos are banned.
The Fabulous True Adminstrator of the New England Touhou Community

Touhou Project Lead Panelist: AnimeBoston '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17; AnimeUSA '10; Otakon '11, '14; Nan Desu Kan '14
Touhou Project Panelist: Otakon '10, '12, '14, '15, '16, '17; Genericon '11, Katsucon '11, '13, '14, '15, '16
Touhou Project Fangames Lead Panelist: Otakuthon '14
RosenKreuzStilette Lead Panelist: TouhouCon '15, AnimeBoston '16
lyraparry11
Veteran Poster

Post by lyraparry11 »

yes the registration/badge pickup process worked well. my friends and i went on thursday and we got there at almost exactly four and were out by 4:45-5
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=Raver Gaara][quote=Syagria]

So, suggestion for next year? DON'T change the registration process![/quote]

seconded. I was in and out of registration and I just ended up staring at my badge going "when did i get this o.o? "

Not sure if it was just the time i picked it up that caused this, but i was surprised since the space was smaller than last time and it looked like there were fewer booths, but that may have just been due to the space it was in. so yeah, freakin awesome job guys![/quote]
I would like to agree and third. I usually prepare for a lot of time waiting before i get my badge but this year I had a lot of free time AFTER I got it. :D
Secret Duckie
Veteran Poster

Post by Secret Duckie »

[quote=Kilgamayan]As long as we're suggesting things, I'd suggest banning Marco Polo, Buttscratcher and similar memes outright, for reasons similar to why stereos are banned.[/quote]

God I second this. It is so freaking obnoxious when you're trying to talk to someone and someone right behind you is SCREAMING in your ear. It's not even funny. At all. It's just annoying. And you can't go anywhere without hearing it.

The worst is when you're in a quite panel trying to hear the presentation, and you just hear them screaming outside the door while they are waiting in line for another event/panel. It is very distracting and difficult to hear anything at all.
grasping.at.pearls
Veteran Poster

Post by grasping.at.pearls »

[quote=Synaizen]There's a thread in the Masq subforum for photoshoots every year. It's up to the organizers of each cosplay group (Bleach, Naruto, DNote, etc.) to inform the thread administrator where/when they'll be meeting.

Also, I printed out a couple flyers, and put them on the info desk bulletin boards to promote the Bleach photoshoot. Again, it isn't AB's responsibility to organize photoshoots.[/quote]

I understand what you're getting at and YES, it's not AB's responsibility to organize the photoshoots. But since we tell the mods when they're gonna be in that thread, I think they should have a schedule for Photoshoots like they have for Panels and other events in the bag they give out when you go in to pick up your badge.

Not everyone is on the forums and there were alot of issues with people who weren't on the forums knowing how to get there. I organized all the photoshoots I was involved in so it wasn't an issue for me, but I found alot of people who missed the photoshoots since they weren't on the forum.

If such a list was available, I and MANY others didn't know about it, and if there is, it should be in the bag, not at the Information Desk.
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=grasping.at.pearls]I understand what you're getting at and YES, it's not AB's responsibility to organize the photoshoots. But since we tell the mods when they're gonna be in that thread, I think they should have a schedule for Photoshoots like they have for Panels and other events in the bag they give out when you go in to pick up your badge.[/quote]
If we did that and distributed it to everyone, people would likely assume that because there was a schedule of these in the bag that they were organized by the staff and then they'd be our responsibility to oversee. ...even if they weren't on convention property.

Plus, printing out 17,000+ schedules isn't cheap.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List