Policy on bringing snacks/goodiebags to meetups?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Gabbalot
Getting the hang of this...

Policy on bringing snacks/goodiebags to meetups?

Post by Gabbalot »

Is there any sort of convention or hotel policy regarding bringing snacks to cosplay meetups and photo shoots?

I'd like to give away some goodiebags filled with candies/snacks for the people who attend the meetups that I'll be hosting/joining, but I'd hate to prepare everything only to find out that there's some rule that prevents me from sharing snacks.

The snacks will all be store-bought and sealed, nothing hand-made. The meetups will take place in the Hynes.

(apologies in advanced if this wasn't the right thread to post in - I tried doing a general search for "food", but the website crashes every time :/)
AB 2018 Cosplay: Princess Allura (combat suit), Phichit Chulanont (casual)

AB 2019 Cosplay:
Goth!Princess Allura, Bunny Hero Miruko (BNHA), Widowmaker (possibly), Mina (BNHA) (possibly)
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Re: Policy on bringing snacks/goodiebags to meetups?

Post by Master of NERV »

Not that I'm aware of. I bring in snacks myself (raisins and nuts, that sort of thing). And there's water coolers everywhere. I'd imagine that staff would be happy if you just cleaned up after yourself.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

At some point during the convention, I usually go to Trader Joe's across the street from the Prudential and buy some ingredients to make trail mix, as well as looking to see if they have any anime related signs. Never really had trouble bringing that into the convention center.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

I've never heard of any rules against it...
and in previous years I've carried literal basket full of candy that matched my cosplay and would give out the treats to all the fellow nerds
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

You can bring food into the Hynes. We've brought a whole pizza to eat, while we were waiting in line for an event.just clean up after yourselves.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
JosephW
Veteran Poster

Post by JosephW »

Nenie wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:27 pm You can bring food into the Hynes.
Well, that's good to know. Most other cons that I've been to have strictly prohibited outside food.
AB 2018: Nick Wilde
AB 2019: Haida (Fri) / Inkling Boy (Sat)
AB 2022: Nick Wilde (Zootopia)
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

Outside food and beverage are not allowed to be sold or sampled by anyone but Leavy Restaurants or the Sheraton.

However there is a "lunchbox" exemption that is generally allowed. In that you can bring in food for *yourself* or similar small amounts and it will not raise flags.

Catering large groups or similar "food distribution of scale" are prohibited.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Gabbalot
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Gabbalot »

Yaaay! Thank you SO much, everyone!! I was getting worried when I saw that no one replied lol.
AB 2018 Cosplay: Princess Allura (combat suit), Phichit Chulanont (casual)

AB 2019 Cosplay:
Goth!Princess Allura, Bunny Hero Miruko (BNHA), Widowmaker (possibly), Mina (BNHA) (possibly)
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

Aidan2 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:04 pm Outside food and beverage are not allowed to be sold or sampled by anyone but Leavy Restaurants or the Sheraton.

However there is a "lunchbox" exemption that is generally allowed. In that you can bring in food for *yourself* or similar small amounts and it will not raise flags.

Catering large groups or similar "food distribution of scale" are prohibited.

So this con lies on Easter weekend, a weekend where usually families may have yummy treats that they will give or partake in easter-egg-hunts.

So people carrying baskets with easter eggs with candy or candy easter treats to other attendees is prohibited?
If artists in the artists alley have dishes of candy (I can count a handful that had offerings) for people to take, is prohibited?
If a cosplayer has candy and is offering securely wrapped treats to attendees, is that prohibited?