security

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Varmit33
I'm new!

security

Post by Varmit33 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Just wondering if security is going to be a little more constant then last year they let me thru with something on Friday but didn't on sat or sun. Just trying to be prepared to make getting in smoother and hopefully quicker.

Shiggitay
Experienced Poster

Re: security

Post by Shiggitay » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:41 am

I've heard blurbs saying that the MCCA (Massachusetts Convention Center Authority) is working with the NEAS (New England Anime Society, parent "company" of AB) to ease and simplify the security stuff at the doors of Hynes/Pru/Sheraton. I sincerely hope that it's smoother than 2016, with the stupidly excessive metal detector crap, but we shall see.

Kalyoth
Expert Poster

Post by Kalyoth » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Not Staff

Expect security to be whatever it is determined to be by the Boston PD, Hynes security & the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Many of us may have issues with it, but not much can truly be done in this regard. The law of the land is to protect the citizens with methods determined by those elected/appointed to get the job done. I know AB works very hard & continuously to try & make the impact upon us attendees as small as possible.

What final forms this takes will likely not be finalized until right before the convention. Be patient & remember this - you are attending a convention in winter in New England. Be ready to potentially be outdoors in inclement weather (rain/snow). Be patient, attentive & prepared. I am looking forward to reading the official information once it is announced by AB.
"Thou who art darker than even darkness,
Thou who art deeper than even the night!
Thou, the Sea of Chaos, who drifts upon it,
Golden Lord of Darkness!
Hereby I call to thee,
Hereby I swear before thee!
Those who would stand against us,
All those who are fools,
By the power you and I possess,
Grant destruction equally upon them all!
GIGA SLAVE!"

Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:09 pm

I just hope that all the different security groups will work from the same rulebook.

Idea (that I have said in the forums more than once): have a printout of the rules and policies about cosplay at EVERY entrance and 'weapon check'. Especially the rule about any confiscated props will be returned when you leave. Why do I single out that one? Because during AB2016, I saw security take a whole box of confiscated prop swords, break every one into pieces, and then toss the pieces into the trash. I myself have no props like that, but I know the time, money, and effort that goes into making such. To see it reduced to trash by uncaring rent-a-cops is just wrong.