What I Learned At Anime Boston 2014

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2014.
WaifuConnoisseur
Experienced Poster

What I Learned At Anime Boston 2014

Post by WaifuConnoisseur »

With every new year of going to Anime Boston, we learn something new. This year was:

1. For those with a long drive to get to the con, going day zero and sleeping the night before helps a lot.

2. Figure out where you're going to eat before you walk for an hour trying to find a resturant that's not packed at rush hour. That was a bad idea.

3. Pockets. They're important. Put them in your cosplay.

4. Pack well before the con. Not the day before. Does not work ou the way you plan.

5. Have a pen on you at all times. You never know when you might run into a guest.

That's what I got this year. How about you guys?
2012: Just regular weeb attire
2013: Link (LoZ)
2014: Link v2.0 (LoZ) - Princess Luna (MLP)
2015: Matoi Ryuko (Kill la Kill)
2016: Aurora (Child of Light)
2017: Lady Oscar (Rose of Versailles)
2018: DIO (JJBA)
2019: DIO 2.0 (JJBA) - DND stuff
PatternerMage
Expert Poster

Re: What I Learned At Anime Boston 2014

Post by PatternerMage »

Okami No Yume wrote:1. For those with a long drive to get to the con, going day zero and sleeping the night before helps a lot.
Absolutely. I had to take an 8:15 PM bus out of Albany on Thursday night, but even getting to Boston around 1 AM was better than having to take a bus on Friday morning.
Okami No Yume wrote:3. Pockets. They're important. Put them in your cosplay.
YES! Or at least have places on your cosplay where you can conceal a bag. Even better: cosplay a character who carries a bag!
Okami No Yume wrote:4. Pack well before the con. Not the day before. Does not work out the way you plan.
Making a packing list can also help, even if you're packing the day before you leave (or, like I was, the hour before...). Proud to say I did not forget anything!

As for me...

1. Make sure the person you are going to the con with is someone you trust absolutely and who will not test your sanity throughout the entire weekend.

2. This especially applies if you are sharing a room with said person.

3. Don't overwork yourself the week before the con, and get enough sleep. Colds are not fun, even after the con.

4. Go to more panels instead of wandering around aimlessly.

5. Go to the autograph sessions/panels you want to, disregarding the fact that your companion is completely incapable of planning ahead well enough to get to the con in time for them. (Next year that's going to be THEIR problem, not mine)

6. Talk to people. A con is one of the easiest places in the world for this!
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Post by RayneDeanZ »

1. Cosplays should be bought months in advance, despite the fear of gaining weight. ((This is the second year I've had to delay Yuna...))

2. Building up a 'IOU' with your mother does not mean you'll be paid back in no time. ((As of today, I still owe $200...))

3. 11 people in one regular room is doable, but really tight.

4. ((One I re-learn EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.)) Don't be afraid to ask someone for some way to keep in contact with them.

5. Just because your friends want to go to one panel, doesn't mean you can't go alone to another.

6. The Masquerade is much more fun than people make it sound. ((First year I went, and it's the start of a new 'must do'))
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)
Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)

AB 2023:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)
Mauralucky7
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Mauralucky7 »

1. Talk to people, so many people at the con are absolutely awesoem and they would love to talk to you too!
2. Pockets are a must. Also make sure that your pockets are big enough. I had pockets, but it was such a pain getting my camera out of them that unfortunately I went most of the con without photos.
3. Try and plan your meal times. If you can hold off from lunch until 2ish, that's great, a lot of people will have already gotten lunch, and there won't be that huge of a mob there.
4. Have fun! Go to what panels you wanna go to, wander around if thats what you like to do. Don't stress yourself out and have a blast.
AB 2014 - Erza Scarlet Heavens Wheel Armor. Done!
AB 2015 - Erza Scarlet Heavens Wheel Armor remade. Potentially Varia suit as well.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

1: get the phone number of people you meet (That have the same cosplays as you) chances are you have more in common then you think and you'll meet great friends to hang out with next year.

I met someone who i regreated not asking for his number before he left for the day ;< (*points to picture* if your the kuwabara i met on Saturday morning pm me please I have yoyos this time)

2: finish an epic cosplay! (on time) Everyone kept asking me where my yoyos were... after I met kuwabara i had a valid excuse of not having them.

3: ask people with big fancy cameras for the website your group picture will be on (you never know when you need a head shot of your picture)

4: (This is something that happened a while ago, but i regreat till this day because it haunts me) KEEP TRACK OF YOUR STUFF and when people ask you to keep track of their stuff that isn't part of the group you came with, say no. You never know when you have to get up and leave something.

another rule i've learned over the years: (5) DON'T BE AFRAID TO SAY NO or NO THANK YOU or say I'll try to find you another time. If someone is asking for a picture and your rushing to somewhere... (this is a must for new cosplayers)

6: main events ALWAYS ATTEND THEM (like the concerts) they will be what people will be talking for for anime bostons to come.
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Prince K-kyo
Experienced Poster

Post by Prince K-kyo »

1.) Don't over stress yourself with trying to please EVERYONE

2.) Do what you want to do, don't just follow people around

3.) (A rule I learned years ago but it's an important one) If your going to stay around with people, be sure they are people you want to be near and not someone who might be sad, lazy, ect. for the whole con.

4.) ENJOY YOURSELF

5.) Buy it when you see it (the chances of it being gone next time you see it are hard to tell)
ANIME BOSTON 2017 LINEUP
Thurs: ???
Fri: Chip Skylark
Sat: Umaru-Chan
Sun: Vincent Brooks
Nights/Casual: Siberian Bear Zarya
Micah
Experienced Poster

Post by Micah »

1) If you are carrying around a bag, pack some crackers and peanut butter or even some flat bagels and a gatorade. Sometimes you don't have enough time to fight through the mobs of the food court and you just need something to munch on.

2) It's great to buy gifts for friends but don't forget to get yourself a few things too! I always end up buying a souvenir for everybody I know and when I get home I realize I didn't buy myself anything!

3) If you are wearing high heels/sandals/any other strange footwear that might start hurting you after a while, always carry around a pair of flats or slippers that you can wear while you're resting. Blisters are the worst.

4) If possible, keep a little box/bag with bandaids, safety pins, needle and thread, buttons, and the like. I did that for the first time last year and I lost count of how many times it helped out not only me but people around me as well.
AB 2013
Jake English (.Homestuck.)
AB 2014
Jake English (.Homestuck.)
Mable Pines (.Gravity Falls.)
Rocket Grunt(.Pokemon.)
AB 2015
Mable Pines (.Gravity Falls.)
Rocket Grunt(.Pokemon.)
Faun
AB 2016
Red Robin (.DC.)
Arsenal (.DC.)
FarFromRedemption
Dedicated Poster

Post by FarFromRedemption »

I learned from Anime Boston 2014 is that I miss Anime Boston when I'm not able to go! ;-;

I wasn't able to make it last year for family reasons, but this year I'll be there!
Potential Cosplays for 2022
Ban (The Seven Deadly Sins)
Archon Rex Lapis/Zhongli (Genshin Impact)
Nikaido (DoroheDoro) *maybe*
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

screamingthesilence wrote: 2) It's great to buy gifts for friends but don't forget to get yourself a few things too! I always end up buying a souvenir for everybody I know and when I get home I realize I didn't buy myself anything!
thank you that reminded me of another rule i remembered so make this 7) and the most important rule for me: if your going to buy "gifts" for people who say they'll pay you back, make sure you get their money from them before then convention. You never know how long it's going to be till they pay you back, if they pay you back at all.
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Overlord of Anime
Expert Poster

Post by Overlord of Anime »

1. Panda Express is forbidden

2. ???

3. Panda Express is still forbidden

(seriously, every year a few DOZEN people get sick from eating there)
AB06: Maiden Voyage
AB07: Pocky guy
AB08: Gaara
AB09: Japanaman
AB10: Rex Raptor
AB11: That guy who was always in the elevator
AB13: Smooth Criminal
AB14: Pool's Closed
AB15: Pink Floyd
AB16: Pink Floyd
AB17: Stink Patrol Commander
AB18: Stink Patrol Commander
Shiggitay
Expert Poster

Post by Shiggitay »

1. For those with a long drive to get to the con, going day zero and sleeping the night before helps a lot.
I'm lucky enough to live right outside Boston, so that doesn't really apply to/for me, but yeah great advice.
2. Figure out where you're going to eat before you walk for an hour trying to find a restaurant that's not packed at rush hour. That was a bad idea.
Another really good point... I usually go to either Samurai Boston, or Chilli Duck (both directly across the street from the Hynes, and both really good. I think they're underrated).
4. Pack well before the con. Not the day before. Does not work out the way you plan.
This is an addendum to my post above... I live in Watertown, MA, which is about 6-8 mi west of where AB is going to happen... I can easily go back and forth to get stuff / deposit dealer's room swag... etc.
5. Have a pen on you at all times. You never know when you might run into a guest.
^ ^ ^ THIS! I wish I had had a pen on me during Otakon 2009... I really wanted to meet "forever 17" Seiyuu Kikuko Inoue (Belldandy and many others)!! >_>