Bystander Reactions?

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2014.
Sherlock-sensei
Getting the hang of this...

Bystander Reactions?

Post by Sherlock-sensei »

I know we all get those looks from people who thought they were going to spend a nice weekend at the mall and suddenly realized that it was inundated by people with colorful hair and weapons, but it's even funnier when they're willing to ask questions.

On Sunday when I went to Dunkin's the older man in front of me asked if I was with those "Anime People." I guess he goes to the church in the mall and was curious about the con. He was actually really nice to talk to. He asked if most of the people were really young, and when I assured him that some con goers were older (looking at you grandma Sofie) he said he would check out some anime because he loves art and animation. That definitely made my weekend.

Anyone else have any good (or bad) experiences this year?
AB 2014 - Viking!Norway
AB 2012 - France and Sasori
AB 2011 - Alois Trancy and Sasori
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Re: Bystander Reactions?

Post by dstnyskr »

On friday I had just received my badge to enter the con and I was going around to the other entrance through the mall. Since the line to get through security check via the entrance over by the mall/sheraton was extremely long.

Anyway I was walking in my masked cosplay through the mall.

WELL a gentlemen comes up beside me and asks whats going on? I explained it was an anime convention...blah blah blah. We parted our ways and I carried on with my walk to get in line at the other entrance (which turned to be not to bad on the main hynes entrance outside in the cold)

Turns out it was one of the voice actors! I had no idea! when I was sitting at opening ceremonies I had that moment kinda like this --> :shock:
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
papertoadette
AB Alumni

Post by papertoadette »

I was in the bathroom fixing my wig with my cannon next to me while these nice elderly ladies began to ask questions. Which I answered politely. Overall it was a pretty nice conversation.

Michelle Light
Junior Tech Staff 2015-2017
Cosplay Games Staff 2018-2019 We Put the PLAY in Cosplay

Cosplays for 2019: Isabelle from Animal Crossing, Sakura from Card Captor Sakura, Toadette from Mario and ??? from ???
GokaiSilver

Post by GokaiSilver »

On Saturday night, I had this really creepy guy who claimed he was writing his college thesis trying to interview me and my friend. He was in the game room around 10PM, very drunk, and getting way too close. Hopefully no one else had the same experience.
AB Cosplay:
2013: Shotaro Hidari/Kamen Rider Joker, Megaman (Business Casual), Minecraft Steve
2014: Megaman (Business Casual), Barry Burton (Resident Evil)
2015: Shotaro Hidari/Kamen Rider Joker, Barry Burton (Resident Evil)
PatternerMage
Expert Poster

Post by PatternerMage »

I always wave to the passing Duck Tours when I am in cosplay and see how many people wave back. Usually it is just the children, but we did get a few adults to wave back as well. The rest were just puzzled expressions!

But yeah, my friend and I got stopped many times in the mall and surrounding Back Bay area by people wondering why there were so many people in costume and what was going on.

Saturday night, I think, I met a news crew by the library on Boylston street...one of the crew guys was really excited that there was an anime convention going on at the Hynes and hoofed it in that direction with his camera. I don't know if he did any news coverage or not, but it was still interesting and exciting.
GokaiSilver wrote:On Saturday night, I had this really creepy guy who claimed he was writing his college thesis trying to interview me and my friend. He was in the game room around 10PM, very drunk, and getting way too close. Hopefully no one else had the same experience.
I am sorry that happened to you :(
I had a similar experience in the dealer room Saturday morning. People like that are no fun.
enco404
Experienced Poster

Post by enco404 »

AlbinoShadow wrote:I always wave to the passing Duck Tours when I am in cosplay and see how many people wave back.
we had that happen on friday morning on the way to the con. Not sure if it was a duck tour, but it was a large tour group who wanted to take our pictures.
AB 2012 - Leo: Fairy Tail
AB 2013 - Capricorn: Fairy Tail
AB2014 - Gemini: Fairy Tail
AB2014 - Virgo: Fairy Tail
AB2015 - Celty: Durarara!!
MDK
Experienced Poster

Post by MDK »

I had a little kid scream at me in the mall. I laughed it off. I guess the big collar frightened him?

At Wendy's, a frazzled older guy walked up to my (non-costumed) friend and I and he said "you know, my girlfriends sometimes turn into bats late at night, too. Check out this white woman!" and he opened his cupped hand and there was a live, white hamster. Yeah, I couldn't make this up if I tried.

Some other people in front of the Windows store kept wanting pictures too and said I was pretty. :3

2017: Styx (Styx/Of Orcs and Men series)
2016: Ra's al Ghul, John Wick, Suwako Moriya
2015: Clover (Payday 2), Jacket (Hotline Miami)
2014: Ra's al Ghul (Batman)
2013: Calendar Girl (Batman), Rosalie Rowan (The Zeta Project)
2011/2012: Suwako Moriya (Touhou)
2009: Suiseiseki (Rozen Maiden)
2008: Hester Prynne (The Scarlet Letter)
2005: Terra (Teen Titans)
HelloGoodbye
Expert Poster

Post by HelloGoodbye »

One woman just walking by said "Is it a holiday?!" to her friend as all the cosplayers were pouring out of the Hynes after closing ceremonies on Sunday!

And a family friend asked my mom if I was at that "ani-mee" (pronounced that way) thing up by the Pru. Apparently, she and her sister couldn't get parking and were late to their nail appointments since all of the congoers took the parking!
2013 was my first Anime Boston ever!! And it was awesome!
~Cosplay~
2013- Edward Elric (FMA)
2014- Edward Elric (FMA)Haru (Tsuritama)Tamaki Suoh (Ouran High School Host Club)
2015-Pre-RegTamaki Suoh (Ouran High School Host Club)FriRin (Blue Exorcist) SatHaru (Tsuritama) SunArmin (Attack on Titan)
Alicanth

Post by Alicanth »

I had two.

On Sunday morning, my friends and I left our hotel and were walking to the crosswalk when a woman randomly leaned out of a nearby parked car and yelled "You guys look great! Have a great day!"

The same morning, not a half hour later, I passed a man and who I assume was his son. The man saw my prop spear, which was about 7.5 feet long, and I overheard him say "Oh my god, is that thing REAL?" as I walked past, and his son reassuring him that the Hynes didn't allow live steel. It was the best compliment I could have received!
AB 2015: Spinel Sun (Cardcaptor Sakura)
AB 2014: Erza Scarlet, ver. Robe of Yuen (Fairy Tail)
AB 2013: Erza Scarlet, ver. Standard (Fairy Tail)/Destiny of the Endless (Sandman)
AB 2012: Aradia Megido (Homestuck)
AB 2011: Timeskip Hyuuga Hinata (Naruto)/Yomiko Readman (Read or Die)/Ennis (Baccano!)
AB 2010: Marie Mjolnir (Soul Eater)/Ennis (Baccano!)/Sanji (One Piece)
WaifuConnoisseur
Experienced Poster

Post by WaifuConnoisseur »

The best reactions are the ones on elevators. People on business who have no idea what's going on. It's hilarious.
2012: Just regular weeb attire
2013: Link (LoZ)
2014: Link v2.0 (LoZ) - Princess Luna (MLP)
2015: Matoi Ryuko (Kill la Kill)
2016: Aurora (Child of Light)
2017: Lady Oscar (Rose of Versailles)
2018: DIO (JJBA)
2019: DIO 2.0 (JJBA) - DND stuff
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

Escalator reactions are pretty amusing as well. I clearly remember one older gentleman looking around at all of us cosplayers heading the other direction with a look of utter confusion and/or disgust.
Brian Magnant
Cosplay Events Assistant Manager 2024
Masquerade Coordinator 2020, 2023
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2016-19, 2021-2022

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.
I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.
Sherlock-sensei

Post by Sherlock-sensei »

dstnyskr wrote:Turns out it was one of the voice actors! I had no idea! when I was sitting at opening ceremonies I had that moment kinda like this --> :shock:
That is so bizarre, it was like some sort of anime test lol. Do you remember which one it was?
AB 2014 - Viking!Norway
AB 2012 - France and Sasori
AB 2011 - Alois Trancy and Sasori
Cinnamon Chai
Expert Poster

Post by Cinnamon Chai »

I sat near a couple of women having lunch in the food court. One of them said to the other, "Are any of them dressed as the same character?" The other said, "No, I don't think so. I don't think it's allowed. I think they have to register what they're dressing as."

A little boy came up to me in costume also, smiling, and his mom said I was a superhero, which was really cute.
AB 2018 plans
Oscar Dragonia - Tales of Berseria
Sailor Saturn
Taako - The Adventure Zone
Hielostar
Experienced Poster

Post by Hielostar »

Okami No Yume wrote:The best reactions are the ones on elevators. People on business who have no idea what's going on. It's hilarious.
I had a bit of fun with this in an elevator on Friday morning when several airline staff members (pilot and a couple of flight attendants) just got in from Logan. One of the attendants took a picture in the elevator trying to use the mirror to get all of us in the shot. :D
/ænɪme bɔstɪn/ 2006-2022

2022: Your favorite Zaku girl selling model kits in the Dealer’s Room!
RenjiAbarai
Expert Poster

Post by RenjiAbarai »

About 5 times over the weekend, I got "Is there a tennis conference going on?" Lmao!
just because i cosplay 22 bleach characters doesn't mean i have a problem.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/dolphinsensei/
dokuro
Experienced Poster

Post by dokuro »

Wing-Road wrote:About 5 times over the weekend, I got "Is there a tennis conference going on?" Lmao!
oh my god this is amazing!

well, when i wore lolita on the first day, a man asked for my picture and said "my kids will jnever believe this." towards the end of the day i was walking to meet a friend and on the way i passed a small girl. she was holding her mothers hand and pointed at me with the other and smiled, the look on her face just made me so happy... i waved to her and smiled back and heard her mother say "isnt that a pretty dress?" to the daughter. like that literally warmed my heart.

thats pretty much it though, more byatanders talked to me in earlier years :D though one did stop my friend and while i was trying to say "sorry we re in kind of a rush" it was like yeah lol but no biggie xD just if you see two people who are obviously in a rush and could ask any of the THOUSANDS of cosplayers, dont pick the ones who look like theyre busy...?
VideoGameStupid
Experienced Poster

Post by VideoGameStupid »

I have 3.

Well this one was more my mom telling me what happened but basically she and my cousin who got out of college on Saturday walked around the mall for a bit. My mom's reaction was "I saw all sorts of monsters and girls wearing on short mini skirts!" I just sighed and thought "you have a lot to learn about anime cons..."

2nd was when I was Bloody Ghostface on the elevator and the floor stopped somewhere and two women were about to get on. They saw me and immediately backed out and walked in the other direction :lol:.

3rd was well after the con had already ended and my friend(who was cosplaying as a Titan at that time) walked around looking for other cosplayers who stayed behind so we could dance with them(surprisingly there were several). We go near the Starbucks in the Sheraton and this drunk out of his mind old man came up to the Titan and had this look on his face :o like some fangirl who had just seen Michael Tatum topless. The drunk then asks my friend if he knew how to turn on the TV he was standing next to in the most drunkenly drunk old man voice ever. Mind you this TV in question was already on but he kept asking. I thought about the whole thing at work today and just laughed; drunk logic dictates that Titans have the power to turn on TVs that are already on.
Paigeling

Post by Paigeling »

On Friday evening I had dinner at a place down Boylston street... There was very few other cosplayers around but basically since I was in full face makeup I guess I attracted a lot of attention haha. Some guy passing me on the crosswalk literally pulled out his phone and snapped a picture right in front of my face without even asking. I really... didn't appreciate that. I don't mind the questions or even the stares but that was just rude. )':
Better known as Paige.. or Paigeling (´・ω・`)

Fri/Sat: Magma Admin Courtney (Pokemon ORAS)
Fri/Sat: Yuugi Hoshiguma (Touhou Project)
Sun: ?

Chen Yakumo (Touhou Project) & The Notepad (DHMIS)

Parsee Mizuhashi (Touhou Project)

Marisa Kirisame (Touhou Project)
Angel ♥︎
Veteran Poster

Post by Angel ♥︎ »

Many more people than in past years seemed to ask about it this year, it seemed, though I guess most were polite about it.

An elderly women (probably 60? 70?) came up to me in Teavana and asked me "what all these comic book people are doing here." Probably the funniest comment all day, actually. wwww

What bothered me a lot were random people stopping to take pictures, without asking at all, during my photo shoot on Saturday. Especially after saying we were busy and not to take pictures, and they still continued to take pictures... a bit of an annoyance, but what can you do;;
'11: Evangeline A.K. McDowell
'13: Len Kagamine
'14: Marry Kozakura
'15: [no cosplay]

Art // Tumblr // Twitter // Art Blog
bloodedgedreaper

Post by bloodedgedreaper »

On the T leaving anime Boston, some please were asking what was going on after 100+ people from anime Boston boarded the green line. Then I got to explain to them anime and Anime Boston.
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

Sherlock-sensei wrote:
dstnyskr wrote:Turns out it was one of the voice actors! I had no idea! when I was sitting at opening ceremonies I had that moment kinda like this --> :shock:
That is so bizarre, it was like some sort of anime test lol. Do you remember which one it was?
I think it was Toby Proctor.
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
MoonPrincess016
Experienced Poster

Post by MoonPrincess016 »

Okay, so on Saturday of the con, I wasn't feeling the best and my Princess Zelda costume was overheating me way too much. Since it was too windy to go outside, I ended up going to the frozen yogurt stand with my friend who was dressed at Link. While standing in line talking to each other, I noticed there was a little boy around 3 or 4 staring at us with awe. He then turned to his mother and said, "Mommy! Look who it is! It's Zelda!". Needless to say he kept staring at us the entire time :). I'm glad I could make his day in the end since he was so excited to see us!
Just because I'm a princess doesn't mean I'm a damsel. I've got a bow and arrow and I'm not afraid to shoot.
ashanyao
Veteran Poster

Post by ashanyao »

for me i got mixed reactions on the MBTA which happens every year, i'm not surprised.. most people seemed more intrigued than anything else but i just keep telling myself that you have to be one hell of a confident individual to run around on public transit in cosplay and that i had nothing to be ashamed of (or ever.)

then when i was on newbury street i got stopped to take a picture with a girl because her friend said she liked my costume. although, i don't think she expected me to have circle lenses in because when i turned around she was like, "OH!" .. whoops. points for dolly eyes, haha!
✧・゚:* AB 2024 *:・゚✧
Friday AM ⋆ Sailor Mars
Friday PM ⋆ Princess / Prom Flayn
Saturday ⋆ Timeskip Lysithea (masquerade) - FE3H
Sunday ⋆ Abigail - Stardew Valley

✧・゚:* SOCIALS *:・゚✧
https://www.instagram.com/ashanyao/
https://www.facebook.com/ashanyaocosplay/
https://twitter.com/ashanyao
avalonknight

Post by avalonknight »

I was on my way to Fire and Ice on Saturday, and a bellhop on Boylston St. stopped me wondering why my bird has another set of eyes underneath the fedora, referring to the Wall-Nut hat that my Piplup was wearing. I ended up telling him about the game Plants vs. Zombies (mainly the second one on mobile since it's free), it was a fun conversation. A couple of his coworkers got in the conversation, and I explained Piplup's origin to them as well. They even said that they're going to check out PvZ, just the concept of plants shooting zombies got them.

Also one of the cashiers at Shaw's sqee'd at the Wall-Nut hat.
Piplup Plush cosplays
2008-2012: Team Fortress 2 Scout
2013-2014: Fourth Doctor
Fate/Grand Order plush puppets
2018: Jeanne d'Arc Alter and Oda Nobunaga
2019: Jeanne d'Arc Alter, Oda Nobunaga, and Okita Souji
beccavonkarma
I'm new!

Post by beccavonkarma »

My roomie was wearing a gray, sort of curly wig and when we were in the food court, some older lady came up to her and asked her "Are you dressed as me?"
Goldfish221
Veteran Poster

Post by Goldfish221 »

Some of the best reactions I got was when I was walking around as Illya with my dismembered Shiro doll :P

It was other con goers and cosplayers going "WTF!" "Oh god what is that!" and so on :P

My other fun reactions were when I had to bring my giant Rappy (that looks like fat chocobo) to the masq area.
~Anime Boston 202 Cosplay Line Up~

(Subject to Change)
Jeanne D'arc Alter - Fate Grand Order
Lady Nagant - My Hero Academia
Penny - Pokemon Violet
Liliana Vess -Magic the Gathering
PatternerMage
Expert Poster

Post by PatternerMage »

enco404 wrote:we had that happen on friday morning on the way to the con. Not sure if it was a duck tour, but it was a large tour group who wanted to take our pictures.
The Duck Tours are the funny-looking tour buses that are made to operate in the water as well (http://www.bostonducktours.com/Default.aspx)--often they start at the Prudential Center!
beccavonkarma wrote:My roomie was wearing a gray, sort of curly wig and when we were in the food court, some older lady came up to her and asked her "Are you dressed as me?"
That is one of the funniest reaction stories I have ever heard x3
Good on her for having a sense of humour!
President Aria
Veteran Poster

Post by President Aria »

For the second year in a row I had someone buy me a beer basically for talking to them about the convention and what we do there. My friend and I were at the Pour House, having breakfast on Saturday morning, and the guy sitting next to us noticed our badges and cameras and started asking us about the convention. So, we chatted with him, told him about it, answered questions he had, and basically just shot the sheet with him and he bought us a round (because we were all firm believers that breakfast tastes better with alcohol). Then we ran into him again on Sunday morning, and once 10 AM rolled around we bought him a drink, and then he bought another for us as well! So, if this is the kind of reactions I get from bystanders every year, I'll take it ;)
TinkaB
Expert Poster

Post by TinkaB »

I was taking a photo shoot in the mall, and since i was Princess Mononoke, I was in the flower bed. There was a guy who was watching me and my photographer who loudly said "how could that take that so seriously?"
I kind thought it was a bitch move, but then almost right after he said it, a couple came up to me and asked to take a picture with me and asked me what was going on. A couple minutes later, a little girl and her sister (they were like 4 years old and so cute!) came up and asked to take a picture with me. When i was taking a picture with these girls, two teenage guys came up, politly waited untill i finished, and then also asked to take a pic with me. A couple minutes later, two other boys waited for like 3 minutes for my photographer to finish taking my picture, and then asked me to take a picture with them. And then on the way back to the con, a japaness familly came up to me, telling me they were very happy to see me and asked if i could take a picture with the familly.
So all these amazing people totally nullified the one snooty comment, It was great!
Also, i got the chance to ask a hotel staff what they thought of use (the anime people), and he said each year, the staff loves the convention since everyone is so fun and really nice.
Some of these mundanes are awesome :)
Smallapple

Post by Smallapple »

Saturday morning my friends and I were in full cosplay and at the bag-holding area in the Marriott the guy who was there simply ignored us and helped only the 'normal' people. He refused to make eye contact with me, and when I finally approached him he pulled another staff member aside and made him check our bags instead. Geesh I dunno what his problem was ~_~
When it was actually time to check in to our room I asked the lady at the desk if she was used to 'everyone in the funky outfits' and she told me 'kind of' but at least she was polite about it haha...

Otherwise, everything else was a positive experience, even on the T. We may have had to explain ourselves once or twice but people understood and many young families came up to us to take pictures with their kids because my friend cosplayed Unikitty. It was a good time. : )
enco404
Experienced Poster

Post by enco404 »

AlbinoShadow wrote:
enco404 wrote:we had that happen on friday morning on the way to the con. Not sure if it was a duck tour, but it was a large tour group who wanted to take our pictures.
The Duck Tours are the funny-looking tour buses that are made to operate in the water as well (http://www.bostonducktours.com/Default.aspx)--often they start at the Prudential Center!
beccavonkarma wrote:My roomie was wearing a gray, sort of curly wig and when we were in the food court, some older lady came up to her and asked her "Are you dressed as me?"
That is one of the funniest reaction stories I have ever heard x3
Good on her for having a sense of humour!

Yes i know what the duck tours are, just wasn't sure if it was one. Just a massive group of people in front of either a bus, or that boat bus. Can't remember.
AB 2012 - Leo: Fairy Tail
AB 2013 - Capricorn: Fairy Tail
AB2014 - Gemini: Fairy Tail
AB2014 - Virgo: Fairy Tail
AB2015 - Celty: Durarara!!
ChibiKoun
Veteran Poster

Post by ChibiKoun »

On Friday night I was on my way back to my room, and a little girl in the Sheraton tugged her mother's arm, pointed at me, and exclaimed that I was a princess. She was sweet. Saturday some more children asked if I could take some photos with them. It was the same costume, so I guess the big white dress just said "princess!" to them. XD

On Sunday I was on my way home, still in costume, and a woman who I think was not a convention attendee stopped me, very excited, to ask if I was Lady Oscar. Of course, I was, and she chatted with me about how much she loved the Rose of Versailles. we took a photo together. I'm glad I could make people happy that weekend.
2014 Cosplay!

1. Empress Elisabeth from エリザベート ~愛と死の輪舞
2. Super Sailor Neptune from Sailor Moon
3.Lady Oscar François de Jarjayes from The Rose of Versailles
MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa »

This wasn't this year, but AB 2012, I think. I was dressed as Freya from Chobits, and I 'think' my friend was Chi, but I can't remember anymore. But a small group of Japanese tourists were so excited that there was an Anime convention that coincided with their visit to Boston, and they took a picture with us. It was super cute. It's still my favorite AB Bystander moment. :)
Amanda Graves
Cosplay Guest Coordinator 2024
Masquerade Assistant Coordinator 2023
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2022
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018 - 2019

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."
megmo
Determined Poster

Post by megmo »

A little late to this party but my friend and I went as Death the Kid and Shinigami from Soul Eater on Saturday. When we were leaving the food court this father with his son was walking by, the dad looked amazed by my friend's Shinigamii costume (she had to have been at least 6-7 feet with it) and pointed it out to his kid who couldn't have been more than 4 or 5, the poor kid looked TERRIFIED of her costume. Sooo she felt bad about that, but the dad's amazement was pretty awesome.

Then as we were leaving for the day on Saturday there was a group of people in the Pru who I THINK may have been tourists she stopped my friend and just took picture after picture with her for maybe like 5 minutes. It was funny to see how excited and amazed they were.
KariKessler
Expert Poster

Post by KariKessler »

Well...Ever heard of "Cosplay Is Consent"? I was at the bus stop with a former friend of mine. We were both in cosplay. Only difference is, She made up her own character so it wasn't as noticeable. Me on the other hand, had my entire body painted what should have been a shade of red. This lady asked me questions in which we answered politely.

Afterwards, she pulled out her phone (Made it seem like she was texting) but in fact she was recording us and taking pictures without our consent. I would have said something but ....(sigh)

CosplayerAndProudOfIt
~Music~
[/b]
!~Anime~!

~!>Sleep<!~

~!>^Food^<!~

These are the ingredients chosen to create the perfect meds for sadness
[/color]
But Professor Kessler accidentally added a chemical ingredient

P~!O~!W~!
[/color] (explodes)
Reality ._. ......
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

well I was with a friend and we were trying to get to her hotel some old lady stopped us and asked what was going on or why we dressed up (or what was going on) and my friend said it's cosplay i can't remember what i said because it was mid way through Saturday (i think)

but elevator people are fun to mess with...i'm going to have so much fun this year since we're staying at the hines

the little ones reactions are the cutest. I'm not sure if this little girl was apart of the convention or not, but on i witnessed the cutest thing ever on Thursday. There was a girl dressed as anna, and she gave a hug to a little girl and i'm just like "AWWWWWWWW"
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective